U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,659 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm moving to Louisville from San Diego and am looking for input for apartments to rent. unfortunately I move right around the time I start my job so it leaves little time to scope out the local properties. Any assistance would be really helpful.

-Where you are working: I'll be working in Brooks, KY
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: Ideally 500-550 is what I'm looking for a 1 bed apartment.
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: Up to 20-25 minutes
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?: Anything is open, however being close to downtown would be motivation to get out and meet people
-Community amenities important to you: Washer and Dryer, whether it being connection available in the unit or just on site laundry facilities.
-Pie or cake? Cake, but that is a de facto answer, I have never had pie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 PM

4,111 posts, read 10,241,422 times
Look into the following: Old Louisville (although it's sketchy in parts), Highlands, Original Highlands. These are some pretty cool neighborhoods. You could also look into more suburban areas in nature like the Taylor Blvd., Southern Parkway, University of Louisville, Newburg Rd. (north of I-264), and Poplar Level Road areas. These will all place you within 25 minutes max of work (unless there's an accident or construction, and there shouldn't be any real construction over the next few years) and close to downtown and other socially active places in Louisville.

Call each landlord or owner you talk to, set up appointments and actually visit properties before you move to Louisville. Check and see if washer and dryer facilities are available in each or if you have to go to the neighborhood laundromat. Obviously, facilities within are much, much easier with much less hassle.

We're trading off: I'm moving from KY to CA, you're doing the opposite. Good luck to you!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the pointers, I have looked at a placed called Park Chateau located on West Ormsby Ave. I have been talking with them and the rates are resonable and its a midrise and that kind of appeals to me.

Also, good luck, SF is a...quriky city to say the least, but most people like it.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM

4,111 posts, read 10,241,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebus89 View Post
Thanks for the pointers, I have looked at a placed called Park Chateau located on West Ormsby Ave. I have been talking with them and the rates are resonable and its a midrise and that kind of appeals to me.

Also, good luck, SF is a...quriky city to say the least, but most people like it.
Be careful w/ W. Ormsby Ave., that area can be a little sketchy at night. As long as you walk directly from car to apartment or vice versa after sundown, you should be fine. But Old Louisville has had an increase in petty and property crimes over the last 15 years and violent crimes (i.e.: robberies, burglaries) over the last 6-7 years. As Ormsby traverses in to the West End, that area of the city is traditionally high in crime (probably much scarier than anything in San Diego, but nothing like North Long Beach, Watts, or even Hawthorne or Santa Ana). These increases in crime have been very gradual rather than sharp, so just be diligent about your surroundings.

I'm looking forward to the move. I previously lived in Louisville and did not enjoy at all and am now ready to leave Kentucky altogether. Even more so, I'm ready for California specifically. I don't want to look back in 20 years and wonder "what if..."

Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 PM

11,833 posts, read 23,918,490 times
If I ever moved back to Louisville as a single guy I would defiantly chose Clifton/ Crescent Hill. Very safe but also quite urban. It's right between Downtown, the St Matthews suburban shopping corridor, and The Highlands urban shopping corridor. Traffic is much worse in The Highlands (Bardstown Rd) than on Frankfort Ave.

I lived in Old Louisville for 3 years and love many things about the neighborhood, but it lacks the nightlife of other areas and has higher car insurance rates. Parts are dicey with lots of car break ins and a robbery now and then, murder rate is not bad though (Same rate as Springhurst the past 3 years - check the homicide map if you doubt me). Anyway, IMO OL is an affordable and historic area for a college student to live in, but unless you work at U of L I would recommend the Frankfort Ave area.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 AM

Anyone have an information regarding the 800 apartments? I looked at them, downtown is downtown, and for most major cities it does have its drawbacks, but is it problematic or just be aware of your surroundings kinda situation?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM

11,833 posts, read 23,918,490 times
I've always heard it's a really cheap place with windows that leak and repairs that don't get done by maintainance. Maybe it's changed, but that's the rap the 800 used to have

Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,752,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebus89 View Post
Anyone have an information regarding the 800 apartments? I looked at them, downtown is downtown, and for most major cities it does have its drawbacks, but is it problematic or just be aware of your surroundings kinda situation?
downtown louisville isnt really the urban core when it comes to residence like it may be in other cities. stick with the highlands, clifton or crescent hill. butchertown and germantown are secondary options. none of them compare to san diego! lol.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM

58 posts, read 199,659 times
As someone that made the opposite move in 2002, I can tell you that the Clifton area or the Highlands will be of interest to you. Clifton is an area with a similar vibe to the Kensington or University Heights areas in SD. The Highlands is going to be more like Normal Heights or Hillcrest (but not a sheikh as Hillcrest). Old Louisville is like North Park from about 10 years ago. It is an area in transition that has a lot of potential, but is not yet there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area