Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:43 PM

65 posts, read 123,559 times

Advertisements

Well, why does Louisville always smell like sewer gas? I have been living in the Highlands for about a year now and love the parks,restaurants,bars and cost of living, but why does it always smell so bad everywhere I go in the city? Is this normal around here or is it just really bad this year? I understand all citys have this to an extent, but of all the places I have lived so far it seems the worst here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:43 AM

54 posts, read 135,384 times
Try living in Munster, In. Just moved up here and it is supposed to be the "most desirable" city in northwest Indiana. they actually have a name for the smell, the Munster stench. smells like sewer rat farts.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattejb View Post
Well, why does Louisville always smell like sewer gas? I have been living in the Highlands for about a year now and love the parks,restaurants,bars and cost of living, but why does it always smell so bad everywhere I go in the city? Is this normal around here or is it just really bad this year? I understand all citys have this to an extent, but of all the places I have lived so far it seems the worst here.

Depends on what direction the wind is blowing. Morris Foreman wastewater treatment plant is the most fowl-smelling facility in the state. Think Brocoli farts.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:20 AM

8 posts, read 21,079 times
It didn't smell like this that i ever noticed before last summer. I was told by my landlord that it was because we had such a heat wave and drought like situation. It doesn't seem as bad this summer, but when i drive through old louisville, sometimes it's really strong. Reminds me of New Orleans in the late 80's August heat. Great memories. : )

Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra K View Post
It didn't smell like this that i ever noticed before last summer. I was told by my landlord that it was because we had such a heat wave and drought like situation. It doesn't seem as bad this summer, but when i drive through old louisville, sometimes it's really strong. Reminds me of New Orleans in the late 80's August heat. Great memories. : )
I lived in Shively for many years. You could hardly walk out into your backyard at night because the odor was so strong.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:56 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,993 times
I remember driving from Cincinnati into Louisville in the 80's, and later in the 90's, and remember there being a smell right before you get into the downtown area.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,720 times
when the sewers get dry, the smell gets worse. walk past any sewer grate after a dry spell and you will smell what i mean.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I remember driving from Cincinnati into Louisville in the 80's, and later in the 90's, and remember there being a smell right before you get into the downtown area.
That wasn't the sewers. There used to be an Ashland Petroleum asphalt plant right next to the interstate. That entire area used to be heavy industry, but not any more. It is now Riverfront Park, and has been (ahem) "cleaned up".

Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
I was looking for a spot to park in Germantown over the weekend and at one spot near E St Catherine just smelled pungent and awful. Needless to day I didnt park there.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:39 AM

92 posts, read 500,009 times
I've noticed that this summer in Chicago has been terrible for sewer odor. I've lived in the city for 6 years now and never noticed it until recently...I do wonder if low water flow has caused this issue in more than just Louisville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area