Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,864 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to lousville in sometime Nov of 2011 and is in need of some serious advice on where to live at. My kids are very well mannered and want to move into a decent place but not be far from everything. I have been looking at houses and found some nice ones but not sure if the locations and not sure of the crime rate either. I am a nurse Lpn and My husband works for Ford which he is relocating... So please Help and Mother of 5 find a decent place to live. Thank you so much and yes I tried my best to answer the questions.

-Where you are working
Husband will be working for ford and I'm an Lpn Nurse

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
150,000 to 125,000 price range

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
indefinite

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
Kids have 5 children Public schools I prefer
My kids ages are 18 months, 4 yr old, 9 yrd old, 11yr old, 17 yr old

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling?
More Family oriented, safe place, friendly social atmosphere,

Community amenities important to you
by parks, recreation for kids to play, close to schools by shopping stores ect a place with low crime rate. For a family to call home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 05:34 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm95 View Post
I will be moving to lousville in sometime Nov of 2011 and is in need of some serious advice on where to live at. My kids are very well mannered and want to move into a decent place but not be far from everything. I have been looking at houses and found some nice ones but not sure if the locations and not sure of the crime rate either. I am a nurse Lpn and My husband works for Ford which he is relocating... So please Help and Mother of 5 find a decent place to live. Thank you so much and yes I tried my best to answer the questions.

-Where you are working
Husband will be working for ford and I'm an Lpn Nurse

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
150,000 to 125,000 price range

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
indefinite

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
Kids have 5 children Public schools I prefer
My kids ages are 18 months, 4 yr old, 9 yrd old, 11yr old, 17 yr old

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling?
More Family oriented, safe place, friendly social atmosphere,

Community amenities important to you
by parks, recreation for kids to play, close to schools by shopping stores ect a place with low crime rate. For a family to call home
It will be somewhere in Oldham County. The schools are the best in the state, without a lot of bureaucratic bs.

As far as idealic, of course, nowhere is perfect, but I will put OC "in-range." I can't think of a place I would rather raise a kid.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
I have to agree with Tom and you will be close to your husband's work. I'd look in La Grange if you want that homey small town feel and the crime is low.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 PM

44 posts, read 124,828 times
I agree. Sadly my house is a bit higher than your price range (but not that much). If you don't find anything and can qualify for more, drop me a line. It's a huge house that has everything. I would recommend my subdivision even if you don't buy mine, it's called Orchard Grass Hills. There should be some in your price range. It's much more budget friendly than the subdivisions around it. It's about 5 mins from the new Norton hospital and tons of physician offices, 5 mins from the Ford Plant, 1 min from the border of Louisville, and you get Oldham county schools. This subdivision is the closest one to Louisville that's in Oldham county. The park is convenient, tons of shopping, movie theater, gyms, churches, etc.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:35 PM

242 posts, read 402,745 times
I would suggest looking in St Matthews area. The commute from there to either Ford plant is only about 15-20 minutes and you're very close to several of the major hospitals and doctors' offices for your job. The malls and many restaurants are also very close by. Many of the houses are smaller but there are also some that will meet your needs. It's a small city was in the metropolitan area and definitely has a central business district like any village should have. Safety is not an issue at all in the area in there are several nice Parks close by.

Oldham county is nice but a long way from anything including grocery shopping. Also you and your husband would probably be facing quite a commute depending on where you worked (the truck plant not so bad, the assembly plant a real pain!).

Old 08-27-2011, 06:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I would suggest looking in St Matthews area. The commute from there to either Ford plant is only about 15-20 minutes and you're very close to several of the major hospitals and doctors' offices for your job. The malls and many restaurants are also very close by. Many of the houses are smaller but there are also some that will meet your needs. It's a small city was in the metropolitan area and definitely has a central business district like any village should have. Safety is not an issue at all in the area in there are several nice Parks close by.

Oldham county is nice but a long way from anything including grocery shopping. Also you and your husband would probably be facing quite a commute depending on where you worked (the truck plant not so bad, the assembly plant a real pain!).
This is simply not true - it is a short drive from Crestwood to Kroger, The Summit, Costco, Lowes and tons of shopping, services, restaurants, etc. There are good grocery stores - Kroger/Walmart in La Grange. St. Matthews is nice but full of traffic, noise, old homes with lots of repair/upkeep issues, higer crime than Oldham County, and public schools that don't measure up to Oldham County schools.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 PM

44 posts, read 124,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
This is simply not true - it is a short drive from Crestwood to Kroger, The Summit, Costco, Lowes and tons of shopping, services, restaurants, etc. There are good grocery stores - Kroger/Walmart in La Grange. St. Matthews is nice but full of traffic, noise, old homes with lots of repair/upkeep issues, higer crime than Oldham County, and public schools that don't measure up to Oldham County schools.
Glad you said this. I was thinking the exact same thing. Particularly some neighborhoods in Oldham. Mine is less than 5 minutes from Super Walmart, Costco, Meijer, Target, Old Navy, multiple bookstores, multiple pet stores, new hospital, etc. Others may be farther but Crestwood also has a cute grocery store, hardware store, drug store, fast food, etc.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:46 AM

31 posts, read 117,447 times
I was also going to suggest Orchard Grass Hills, we live in this area as well and it's really quite nice. Good family vibe, loads of kids. There is a park nearish to us and Krogers and Walmart are both 2 or less miles away. Interstate access is close too. I've been looking up things as I need them (just moved) and everything I've needed has been 3.5 miles and under from my location. The only disappointment was no Louisville library card but we went to La Grange this weekend and they have a nice little set up. In Orchard Grass Hills you'll find yourself closer to Louisville than any Oldham cities, but get the benefits of better schools.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 AM

40 posts, read 120,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I would suggest looking in St Matthews area.
I don't think you'd be able to swing anything that would fit your family (or more than 2 bedrooms really) for $150k in St Matthews. However, the area is really very nice and there's a lot of stuff around.

Oldham County housing is fairly affordable (at least compared to St. Matthews), though the property taxes are very high.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 283,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm95
First let me say Welcome to Kentucky!
I'm going to hazard a guess, and say you are moving because your husband will be taking a position at the retooled LAP. If that's true, it puts his to-work route decidedly I65. Which is sorta removed from Oldham County.
So you probably want to check out Bardstown and surrounding. Bardstown has a great small town atmosphere, low crime, good place to raise kids. It has good schools, and it's a reasonably quick hike to LAP (lots of Ford workers live in the area, and they carpool).
The whole Hwy. 245 corridor to I65 sounds great for you. They just built a new hospital, and doctor's offices are springing up everywhere.
Glad you're coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area