Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 01:26 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjanenh View Post
Granite....
I can't stand the darkness here.. First year I was here, I almost jumped into I-93 traffic. I think I would be skinnier if I was back in louisville, with the heat melting the fat off and all.

jane
Yes, coming from the south it gets dark earlier in the winter in NH becuase of its far eastern location within the Eastern Time Zone. A little research and that fact is fairly obvious. Combating winter darkness? Take up a winter activity or sport and get outside earlier in the morning. I prefer snow on the ground so this past winter was awful becuase I couldn't do many of my activities without snow cover. I am not following you on the I-93 traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear29 View Post
I'm moving to Louisville next week-Wanna rent out my 600 Sq. ft. 1 BR condo from me in DC? $1400 is the going rate. Pollution, schools, traffic and crime don't get much worse than here. Sure, there are jobs aplenty, but try to find one that will afford you more than a postage stamp!

Not trying to say your problems aren't real/justified, just letting you know there are different perspectives and people can grow weary of all locations.
NO thanks. I have lived in DC and I know how awfully hot it gets there in summer, and how expensive it is to live there. The weather here is about the same as in DC.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 36,395 times
[quote=NeedsABeach;20728652]I've lived in the Louisville Metro area for over 20 years (grew up in Oldham county, now live in Jefferson County). Increasingly, my wife and I are looking at moving to a larger city and finding ourselves more discouraged with life in the 'Ville. Some reasons why:

1. The weather here is terrible.
2. Allergies here are awful.
3. There's just not enough to do.
4. Our cost of living to wage ratio is poor.
5. Public transportation and infrastructure are disappointing here. ."

I have also lived in the Louisville area for over 20+ years and I could not agree with you more. I think Louisville is a good,mildly safe place to grow up but after you do grow up you realize how much is really missing compared to other cities,or regions of the country. Outside of the Prospect,St.Matthews,Seneca Park,or upper Brownsboro areas I don't really like any other part of Louisville, and most of those areas are so expensive it is tough for a young professional to afford...The weather and allergies here are awful! It is to hot in the summer,and to cold and dark in the winter...I also agree there are not enough safe,fun things to do in louisville. Sure you can go to a bar,or club but it will cost you a $60 cab ride to get home. Other then bars or nightclubs,as a single young professional i guess you can go see the Riverbats lol... Public transportation is basicly not exsistent unless you live downtown. I have only rode a TARC bus maybe 2times in my entire life here..Overall I think Louisville should be classified as an upper tier minor league city. I have tried leaving Louiville before but I gave into my homesickness,which I believed was caused more by missing certain people in louisville instead of missing the actual city itself, but now Im ready to try it again. Louisville will always be my hometown, but it isnt where i want to spend my whole life.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:16 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
[quote=Card Fan 224;24485516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsABeach View Post
I've lived in the Louisville Metro area for over 20 years (grew up in Oldham county, now live in Jefferson County). Increasingly, my wife and I are looking at moving to a larger city and finding ourselves more discouraged with life in the 'Ville. Some reasons why:

1. The weather here is terrible.
2. Allergies here are awful.
3. There's just not enough to do.
4. Our cost of living to wage ratio is poor.
5. Public transportation and infrastructure are disappointing here. ."

I have also lived in the Louisville area for over 20+ years and I could not agree with you more. I think Louisville is a good,mildly safe place to grow up but after you do grow up you realize how much is really missing compared to other cities,or regions of the country. Outside of the Prospect,St.Matthews,Seneca Park,or upper Brownsboro areas I don't really like any other part of Louisville, and most of those areas are so expensive it is tough for a young professional to afford...The weather and allergies here are awful! It is to hot in the summer,and to cold and dark in the winter...I also agree there are not enough safe,fun things to do in louisville. Sure you can go to a bar,or club but it will cost you a $60 cab ride to get home. Other then bars or nightclubs,as a single young professional i guess you can go see the Riverbats lol... Public transportation is basicly not exsistent unless you live downtown. I have only rode a TARC bus maybe 2times in my entire life here..Overall I think Louisville should be classified as an upper tier minor league city. I have tried leaving Louiville before but I gave into my homesickness,which I believed was caused more by missing certain people in louisville instead of missing the actual city itself, but now Im ready to try it again. Louisville will always be my hometown, but it isnt where i want to spend my whole life.

Move if you don't like it~!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 36,395 times
[quote=veggienut;24485677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Card Fan 224 View Post

Move if you don't like it~!

And also louisville people are not that friendly, they are very passive aggresive people. All the southern jefferson county people(or uk fans) hate all the north and east end people, and vice versa. But I guess that goes all the way back to the Civil War days.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:32 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
[quote=Card Fan 224;24485763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post

And also louisville people are not that friendly, they are very passive aggresive people. All the southern jefferson county people(or uk fans) hate all the north and east end people, and vice versa. But I guess that goes all the way back to the Civil War days.
Your wrong about people not being friendly. I've lived here all of my life and never encountered that. But the folks I have met from up north have that mentality, and a lot have ventured here away from the big city issues. The people you say that hate, don't hate but most likely are jealous. I have friends in all ends of town and never encountered what you've experienced.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
[quote=Card Fan 224;24485763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post

I find cardinal fans to be the most obnoxious fans of any team in any sport. other that that assinine statement regarding u.k. fans, i completely agree with you, especially about the passive/aggressive thing. it's rampant in the workplace here more than any other city i've ever lived in.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
[quote=veggienut;24485820]
Quote:

Your wrong about people not being friendly. I've lived here all of my life and never encountered that. But the folks I have met from up north have that mentality, and a lot have ventured here away from the big city issues. The people you say that hate, don't hate but most likely are jealous. I have friends in all ends of town and never encountered what you've experienced.
Uhhhhhh...I live in California now and still think that Louisvillians are collectively a pretty unfriendly bunch.

[quote=kytoaz;24490781]
Quote:

I find cardinal fans to be the most obnoxious fans of any team in any sport. other that that assinine statement regarding u.k. fans, i completely agree with you, especially about the passive/aggressive thing. it's rampant in the workplace here more than any other city i've ever lived in.
kytoaz, you and I have agreed on a lot of things on this forum over the months and, well, years now. But show me an obnoxious Cardinals fans and I can show you three Wildcats fans in my tiny hometown that are as or more obnoxious. Or, for that matter, Wildcats fans in my family. Promise.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:55 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
[quote=EclecticEars;24501827][quote=veggienut;24485820]

Uhhhhhh...I live in California now and still think that Louisvillians are collectively a pretty unfriendly bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post

kytoaz, you and I have agreed on a lot of things on this forum over the months and, well, years now. But show me an obnoxious Cardinals fans and I can show you three Wildcats fans in my tiny hometown that are as or more obnoxious. Or, for that matter, Wildcats fans in my family. Promise.
I see equally bad behavior on both sides, thank you. and since this isn't a sports forum, lets just leave it at that.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 28,952 times
To those who have moved from Louisville and use this forum to do nothing but emphasize that you have or why you did, my question is....why do you still post here?

A lot of people inquire because they are moving to the area and need useful, positive advice. Some, myself for example, are moving not by choice but are looking to open themselves up to a new adventure with the cards they are dealt and your poor attitude doesn't help that. I realize that this particular thread is not about that, but I have seen many of you in other ones that are, and are not usually helping the situation there either.

I am moving from Minneapolis, which constantly, constantly makes various "best places to live" lists. However, having spent the majority of my life there, I am the last to defend it. Before moving there, I was a "railroad brat" and with my father working his way up in the company, moved all over the midwest and west coast. While I would consider the area mostly my hometown, I was not born and bred there and let me tell you, I find "Minnesota Nice" to be a joke. Minneapolis natives have some of the worst close-minded, snobbish, "no world outside of this city" attitudes I have ever come across. And not being a winter person, don't even get me started on the weather. But I wouldn't say that to hopefuls moving to the area. I'd tell them of the positive things.

My point? There is good and bad everywhere. And I subscribe to the age-old motto "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all". I understand everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it just seems like such a huge waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area