Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 AM

165 posts, read 309,797 times

Advertisements

Show me all the cities in the US that have cooler summers and warmer winters than Louisville. Leave the west coast out, since this thread is comparing Louisville to places like Indy and Nashville, not San Francisco and San Diego.

STX has already responded well to much of the misinformation here, and as has been well pointed out, if you're looking for reasons to hate Louisville (or any city) you can always find it.

Here are some reasons I love this city:

1. Size. Louisville is small enough that you don't deal with the hassles of big-city life (I've lived in DC, I know), but large enough that there is plenty to do and see.

2. Character. Louisville has a great collection of unique neighborhoods that are beautiful, walkable, and have interesting things to do and see (Highlands/Cherokee Triangle/Phoenix Hill, Crescent Hill/Clifton, Germantown, NuLu, Old Louisville, even lesser known places like Beechmont).

3. Relative lack of sprawl and traffic. There are half a dozen ways to get anywhere in Louisville, and they all take about 15 minutes. Except in rush hour, I can get from Dixie Highway to the Summit in 20 minutes. And I don't buy the study cited by OP that says Louisville's traffic is worse than the big cities. You can make a study based on any criteria you want and it will show what you want it to show. Try this one from Forbes, which measures hours of congestion each week and average speed during congested times. New York and LA are among the worst, and Louisville is nowhere to be seen. Our peak rush hour realistically lasts perhaps an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, at most. In the DC area, it's more like 3-4 hours of peak congestion in both morning and evening.

4. Seasons. Places like San Diego that are beautiful year round, without Louisville's summer highs or winter chills, are nice in their own way. But they don't get four full seasons. They don't get the greening of spring or fall's colors. I love every season in its turn, and while I'd be happy if it never got above 85 degrees in the summer, I'm willing to put up with some heat in order to enjoy the sheer loveliness that is October in Louisville.

5. Food. Louisville has one of the best indie restaurant scenes of any city its size, pure and simple. And it keeps exploding.

6. Potential. This is unscientific to say the least, but my feeling about this city is that it is brimming with potential and poised right on the cusp of becoming one of the most desirable cities to live in the country. Between NuLu's growth and the development that the arena is spawning, I believe downtown is in the early stages of a revitalization that will make it a jewel of the country in 10-15 years. The UPS WorldPort hub continues to attract more and more economic development to the area. I could go on. We have our problems (inept and borderline corrupt local government leadership, for example), but I'm positive and hopeful about the direction the city is headed.

I hope OP finds a place they enjoy living. I'm sorry it isn't Louisville, but chacun à son goût. I just hope that when they move on, OP doesn't keep coming back to this forum to crap on Louisville and the people who like living here, as some here keep doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
This thread is going to get closed if the name calling continues.

Show me where Hunter S. Thompson bashed his hometown? This is one of his more famous quotes:

"If I could think of a way to do it right now, I’d head back to Louisville, sit on the porch drinking beer, drive around Cherokee Park for a few nights, and try to sink back as far as I could into the world that did its best to make me. It’s not hard to get tired of interminable palms and poinciana, and I could do at the moment with a single elm tree on a midnight street in the Highlands."

The weather comments are completely off base....Louisville, along with much of TN and NC has one of the nicest climates of any American city with 4 distinct seasons and is surounced by picturesque countryside in all directions.

The allergy problem is ineed ingrained, but almost every big city and especially southern cities have this issue.

Louisville, with the exception of pro sports, has as much or more to do than any top 50 metro area. The nice thing about Louisville is its accessibility. You CAN actually utilize every urban and suburban hood and even every surrounding rural area since the city freeways are set up well and there is no traffic (anyone who says Louisville has traffic has never lived in a top 20 metro). As you will see when you move to a larger city, mister OP, the sprawl, traffic, and sheer cost of living makes it impossible to utilize the extra things that make that city "bigger." You are better off living in a smaller burgh for cheaper and visiting that larger city on occasion when you are bored.

One of the biggest downfalls of Louisville is its "can't do" attitude in many of its citizens. It s getting better but there are still so many naysayers who do not see what a jewel this city is. This is well evidence by many of the negative comments in this thread and mirror some of the less than educated responses one see on the local newspaper website.

As a person still sweltering in the 90 degree heat and cookie cutter sprawl of Florida, I envy all of you living in such a well kept secret with so much soul and culture.
Thompson eventually moved to Colorado. I couldn't find much about his comments on Louisville on the internet.
Most people don't, but I read the weather statistics in the Courier Journal. It's worth checking out, especially from Feb thru mid April. Have a look at what the average temp is and compare it with the actual temp. Double digits below normal. In Summer the 'normal' is about 88. That can no longer be considered the 'normal', but the exception. The best summer was 2009, the temp hit the 90s only 8 times. Otherwise the summers are hot, humid, and the annual summer drought.
When I first moved to Louisville I befriended a college student. Before he moved to San Francisco to get a law degree, he commented, "Louisville is a cultural cesspool". The only interesting parts of Louisville are the Highlands and Old Louisville.
Maybe all the changes take much time. Since the last two years I've noticed more foreign movies shown at the Village 8. How that's going I can only guess. I attended one movie on a weekday evening. I was one of three spectators. Before the movie started I counted 81 seats.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM

40 posts, read 120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
This thread is going to get closed if the name calling continues.
Huh? What name calling are you referring to exactly? I don't see anyone calling each other names - only having a discussion with some disagreement. This doesn't compare with many of the arguments and actual name calling that I see in other CD forums and they're not closed. If you want to close this thread simply because you don't agree with the opinions of some of the posters (including myself) here then I'm disappointed with City-Data's qualifications for moderators. It's also troubling that you would threaten to close a thread because you disagree with the opinions of some of the users here, then go on to post a multi-paragraph rebuttal with comments like "The weather comments are completely off base". Off base of what? Your opinion? You really think it's appropriate to state your opinions as fact, scold the respondents that agree on any of my points, then close a thread?

UKUKUK was right with the comment about the "Get in or get out" mentality here. That really bugs me. I came here to post my opinions and hoped to get some good feedback on both sides of the argument - which I did. But knowing that this thread may be closed on the whim of one moderator who calls me "mister OP" and goes on to profess that Louisville is surrounded on all sides by picturesque countryside (you're right, new albany and the industrial side of the west end are truly pristine this time of year) states that the city has "one of the best climates in the country", and argues that we have "as much or more to do" than any of the top 50 metro areas () is just discouraging.

I really love City-Data and hope that moderators here aren't closing threads when they don't agree with some of the users.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You guys are pretty miserable that is for sure....like I said, move away - I believe your misery will follow you wherever you go.
nope. not miserable at all. have a great job and a great wife and a pretty awesome life in general. I am not, however, blind to my surroundings and i am very aware that my quality of life would be even better someplace else. I also don't feel the need to dismiss anyone who's opinion doesn't coincide exactly with my own.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:52 PM

40 posts, read 120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
nope. not miserable at all. have a great job and a great wife and a pretty awesome life in general. I am not, however, blind to my surroundings and i am very aware that my quality of life would be even better someplace else. I also don't feel the need to dismiss anyone who's opinion doesn't coincide exactly with my own.
Well put! I couldn't be happier with my life and the way things are going. Just because I think our city is lacking certainly doesn't mean that I'm miserable.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post
Show me all the cities in the US that have cooler summers and warmer winters than Louisville. Leave the west coast out, since this thread is comparing Louisville to places like Indy and Nashville, not San Francisco and San Diego.

STX has already responded well to much of the misinformation here, and as has been well pointed out, if you're looking for reasons to hate Louisville (or any city) you can always find it.

Here are some reasons I love this city:

1. Size. Louisville is small enough that you don't deal with the hassles of big-city life (I've lived in DC, I know), but large enough that there is plenty to do and see.

2. Character. Louisville has a great collection of unique neighborhoods that are beautiful, walkable, and have interesting things to do and see (Highlands/Cherokee Triangle/Phoenix Hill, Crescent Hill/Clifton, Germantown, NuLu, Old Louisville, even lesser known places like Beechmont).

3. Relative lack of sprawl and traffic. There are half a dozen ways to get anywhere in Louisville, and they all take about 15 minutes. Except in rush hour, I can get from Dixie Highway to the Summit in 20 minutes. And I don't buy the study cited by OP that says Louisville's traffic is worse than the big cities. You can make a study based on any criteria you want and it will show what you want it to show. Try this one from Forbes, which measures hours of congestion each week and average speed during congested times. New York and LA are among the worst, and Louisville is nowhere to be seen. Our peak rush hour realistically lasts perhaps an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, at most. In the DC area, it's more like 3-4 hours of peak congestion in both morning and evening.

4. Seasons. Places like San Diego that are beautiful year round, without Louisville's summer highs or winter chills, are nice in their own way. But they don't get four full seasons. They don't get the greening of spring or fall's colors. I love every season in its turn, and while I'd be happy if it never got above 85 degrees in the summer, I'm willing to put up with some heat in order to enjoy the sheer loveliness that is October in Louisville.

5. Food. Louisville has one of the best indie restaurant scenes of any city its size, pure and simple. And it keeps exploding.

6. Potential. This is unscientific to say the least, but my feeling about this city is that it is brimming with potential and poised right on the cusp of becoming one of the most desirable cities to live in the country. Between NuLu's growth and the development that the arena is spawning, I believe downtown is in the early stages of a revitalization that will make it a jewel of the country in 10-15 years. The UPS WorldPort hub continues to attract more and more economic development to the area. I could go on. We have our problems (inept and borderline corrupt local government leadership, for example), but I'm positive and hopeful about the direction the city is headed.

I hope OP finds a place they enjoy living. I'm sorry it isn't Louisville, but chacun à son goût. I just hope that when they move on, OP doesn't keep coming back to this forum to crap on Louisville and the people who like living here, as some here keep doing.
i agree with just about everything you said here. except the point about us "crapping on louisville" and especially "the people who live here". how is it that my expressing the desire to live somewhere else that might better suit my lifestyle becomes a personal insult to anyone who lives here? I have experienced this several times outside of this forum with co-workers and friends. I didn't see anyone making attacks on the populace of louisville. no comments about white-trash rednecks or hillbillies. so how is this "crapping on the people of louisville"? please explain.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsABeach View Post
Huh? What name calling are you referring to exactly? I don't see anyone calling each other names - only having a discussion with some disagreement. This doesn't compare with many of the arguments and actual name calling that I see in other CD forums and they're not closed. If you want to close this thread simply because you don't agree with the opinions of some of the posters (including myself) here then I'm disappointed with City-Data's qualifications for moderators. It's also troubling that you would threaten to close a thread because you disagree with the opinions of some of the users here, then go on to post a multi-paragraph rebuttal with comments like "The weather comments are completely off base". Off base of what? Your opinion? You really think it's appropriate to state your opinions as fact, scold the respondents that agree on any of my points, then close a thread?

UKUKUK was right with the comment about the "Get in or get out" mentality here. That really bugs me. I came here to post my opinions and hoped to get some good feedback on both sides of the argument - which I did. But knowing that this thread may be closed on the whim of one moderator who calls me "mister OP" and goes on to profess that Louisville is surrounded on all sides by picturesque countryside (you're right, new albany and the industrial side of the west end are truly pristine this time of year) states that the city has "one of the best climates in the country", and argues that we have "as much or more to do" than any of the top 50 metro areas () is just discouraging.

I really love City-Data and hope that moderators here aren't closing threads when they don't agree with some of the users.
well said. +1

Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
I know she ain't talking to me. Beginning of this year, definitely earlier this year misery, mainly due to the death of my dad. But now pretty content.

Heck I may even stay in Louisville long-term if I get this job I'm interviewing for tomorrow (raise and more secure than my current job).

Quote:
Coming from Northern VA/DC no argument here.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 AM

161 posts, read 412,748 times
Isn't the internet great? LOL I bet if you could find a forum for "Grannys who love the color blue" there would be people arguing about which blue is best!

Anyhooo. I have lived in the Louisville area for 28 years, not Jefferson County but surrounding areas. Before snow flies I will be relocating to Florida ( you should see the disagreements on THOSE threads!) We are moving because we love Florida, the beach, the wildlife, the lifestyle etc not because we hate Louisville/Kentucky. I will say one thing I hate is the allergies and really believe they will be better with the ocean breeze sweeping the air a little cleaner.
Traffic really isn't that bad in Louisville compared to other large cities. Don't get me wrong, I have sat on 71 trying to get past Gene Snyder during rush hour and grumbling just as much as anyone else but it's because we are an impatient society.
I do feel Louisville is too focused on bridges and building more and more hospitals than possibly working on improving in other areas. But I have no great ideas of what or how to do that and therefore I did not run for Mayor
Weather? Come on, the weather sucks! We have no gradual season changes, it's summer one day and late fall the next! We go from ice to oppressive heat! I might as well be in Florida where it is hot all the time except for a couple of months of warm.
I think there is plenty to do if you get out and seek it and Kentucky is a great place for day trips...if you can afford the gas

I think Louisville is a pretty good city to call home, but anywhere you live will have pros and cons. Home is what you make of it. If you stay in your house all the time doing nothing but watching the news and letting the world pass you by then you will probably be miserable anywhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 AM

165 posts, read 309,797 times
Quote:
i agree with just about everything you said here. except the point about us "crapping on louisville" and especially "the people who live here". how is it that my expressing the desire to live somewhere else that might better suit my lifestyle becomes a personal insult to anyone who lives here? I have experienced this several times outside of this forum with co-workers and friends. I didn't see anyone making attacks on the populace of louisville. no comments about white-trash rednecks or hillbillies. so how is this "crapping on the people of louisville"? please explain.
I wasn't referring to you, and I completely understand you posting here (as a Louisville resident) about your desire to move elsewhere. It's others I take exception to - those whose only purpose in posting here is seemingly to bash Louisville and those of us who genuinely like this city. EclecticEars and Visvaldis are the worst. Contrast them with you and MissingIndiana, who make no secret of the things you don't like about Louisville, but are also fair and talk about the things you do like here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area