Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You guys are pretty miserable that is for sure....like I said, move away - I believe your misery will follow you wherever you go.
Please join in! Miss Iry likes company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 PM

40 posts, read 120,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Why is it harder for you to plan outdoor activities than it is for anyone else? All you have to do is do what us natives do - keep your eyes on the weather report.
Ha, I couldn't pass this opportunity up either since I was just discussing with my wife. The weather report for this weekend (as of Wednesday) called for NICE weather (low 70s and sunny) on Sunday and Monday, low to mid 90s on Saturday. It was 104 Saturday, drizzling/overcast yesterday, 65 and overcast today. On Saturday morning they forecasted storms (90% chance) for Saturday evening and I saw nothing (was downtown). I watch WHAS daily and read weather.com as well. Keeping your eyes on the weather report doesn't do me much good in this state, either...

I wasn't even griping about the short term weather, anyway. You can't call a forecast for your wedding/party that's in mid-may of 2012. In most states you'd expect it to be nice, but it could be 100 or snowing here.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Kentucky has one of the cheapest cost of living statistics in the United States. You may earn more money some place else, but the cost of living will very probably be higher. Actually, this 2011 United Chamber of Commerce Report states that Kentucky has the lowest cost of living in the nation (page 22).

http://www.uschamber.com/sites/defau...ll-doc-web.pdf
That piece is discussing the state as a whole, not the city of Louisville - I agree Kentucky has some incredibly cheap housing. I'm only talking about Louisville vs other comparable cities.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I don't live in Crestwood and before the last few hot days we had about 10 days straight of very nice weather - low humidity and in the 80's - I'm not sure where you all were, but we were out biking, hiking and walking in very comfortable morning and early afternoon weather. I'm not sure why my zip code, the time I've lived here (over 3 years) or your assumption that I am affluent has anything to do with the validity of my opinion. I am not offended in the least that some of you don't like living here - I think you should move and as soon as possible. All this negativity and whining gets really boring and repetitive.
Easy, Cattknap. Please don't dismiss our discussion as "negativity and whining" just because you don't agree with the opinions that other Louisvillians have posted here. I've been reading CD for years (yeah, I'm a geography nerd and like learning about all of the US cities, whatever) and just wanted to start a discussion to see how everyone else in the forum would feel about the points I posted regarding our city. I thought I'd get some interesting/valid commentary and rebuttal from the crowd - I certainly did. But it's aggravating that there's always often one person in a thread (regardless of the city - and I read through many of the major metros) who tells anyone who brings some civil discourse to the table that they should just "move away if you don't like it".

Anyone else have anything to add? Any other discouraged Cards fans in here want to comment on my point about our local college team? Does anyone else shake their head that we have a store called "The Neutral Zone"?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:57 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsABeach View Post
Anyone else have anything to add? Any other discouraged Cards fans in here want to comment on my point about our local college team? Does anyone else shake their head that we have a store called "The Neutral Zone"?
Go Cats. UK basketball is about the only thing this state has to offer that can compete with the rest of the nation

Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Ok, it's time, I chime.

If you don't like Louisville in part or in whole, Kentucky in part or in whole, or any other place, as an American, I am proud you get to make those choices. There is plenty to dislike about Kentucky and the Louisville area, but in my opinion, there is so much more good.

As a Kentuckian, if you need help packing, give me a call, glad to assist you as you hope and may, but unlikely find a better place to move to.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Lately, I am loosing my love for Louisville too. I went to my HS reunion this past weekend and I wasn't thrilled in going, but I did. Just seems like people don't change of how they once were. A lot of people were nice and talked to me that I never talked to before there, but some were rude.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:17 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Ok, it's time, I chime.

If you don't like Louisville in part or in whole, Kentucky in part or in whole, or any other place, as an American, I am proud you get to make those choices. There is plenty to dislike about Kentucky and the Louisville area, but in my opinion, there is so much more good.

As a Kentuckian, if you need help packing, give me a call, glad to assist you as you hope and may, but unlikely find a better place to move to.
"Get with it or get out"... the typical Kentuckian's attitude.

Also "THERE'S NOWHERE LIKE HERE, WE HAVE HORSES AND A HIGH RATE OF ALCOHOLISM! DID I SAY ALCOHOLISM? I MEAN GREAT EDUCATION...WAIT..."

Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Famous Gonzo journalist, Hunter S. Thompson, grew up in Louisville and disliked the city. I've googled his name several times, found out all sorts of things about him, but never discovered the reason why he didn't like Louisville.
This thread is going to get closed if the name calling continues.

Show me where Hunter S. Thompson bashed his hometown? This is one of his more famous quotes:

"If I could think of a way to do it right now, I’d head back to Louisville, sit on the porch drinking beer, drive around Cherokee Park for a few nights, and try to sink back as far as I could into the world that did its best to make me. It’s not hard to get tired of interminable palms and poinciana, and I could do at the moment with a single elm tree on a midnight street in the Highlands."

The weather comments are completely off base....Louisville, along with much of TN and NC has one of the nicest climates of any American city with 4 distinct seasons and is surounced by picturesque countryside in all directions.

The allergy problem is ineed ingrained, but almost every big city and especially southern cities have this issue.

Louisville, with the exception of pro sports, has as much or more to do than any top 50 metro area. The nice thing about Louisville is its accessibility. You CAN actually utilize every urban and suburban hood and even every surrounding rural area since the city freeways are set up well and there is no traffic (anyone who says Louisville has traffic has never lived in a top 20 metro). As you will see when you move to a larger city, mister OP, the sprawl, traffic, and sheer cost of living makes it impossible to utilize the extra things that make that city "bigger." You are better off living in a smaller burgh for cheaper and visiting that larger city on occasion when you are bored.

One of the biggest downfalls of Louisville is its "can't do" attitude in many of its citizens. It s getting better but there are still so many naysayers who do not see what a jewel this city is. This is well evidence by many of the negative comments in this thread and mirror some of the less than educated responses one see on the local newspaper website.

As a person still sweltering in the 90 degree heat and cookie cutter sprawl of Florida, I envy all of you living in such a well kept secret with so much soul and culture.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
This thread is going to get closed if the name calling continues.

The weather comments are completely off base....Louisville, along with much of TN and NC has one of the nicest climates of any American city with 4 distinct seasons and is surounced by picturesque countryside in all directions.
So you're saying that average high/low temps of 40/30 in winter and 95/75 in summer with humidity, not to mention a record low of -22 and prolonged periods of 95-100 highs with high humidity, are ideal?

Naaaah, I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area