Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 PM

59 posts, read 210,328 times

Advertisements

I have traveled all across this country, lived in numerous places as a result of my military career, trust me skip Louisville, It is dirty nasty and has no culture. You would be much better served by visiting Lexington and the horse farm area. I agree with Bardstown. Spend your time in Nashville, much, much better. There is absolutely nothing downtown, It is nothing like Nashville, sure they have 4th Street Live, which should be called 4th Street dead in the water. All the Looserville lifers will chime in shortly to disagree, but I tell it like it is. The city were I grew up sucks, thats just the way it is. Unless you are dead set on seeing something in Louisville keep on going if you can. This maybe a problem in itself since one of the major bridges is closed. Take 71 to 265 South, Keep going South on I65 you will miss the complete city. Some of my favorite places across the country are San Diego, Denver area, Williamsburg, VA, El Paso, TX, Black Hills SD, Pan Handle area Florida, Nashville, Chicago, Black River Falls Wisconsin, Lake Geneva Wisconsin, South Carolina, Alabama and of course Lake Barkley, Kentucky Lake, LBL, Western Kentucky, so you can see I have a wide view of areas I like, unfortunately Louisville will never even come close as a choice to visit ,vacation or work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,570,463 times
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill | Kentucky Hotels Lodging & Inn At Shaker Village | Pleasant Hill KY
Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service) This covers Abraham Lincoln's birthplace and boyhood home in Ky.
Kentucky State Parks - Home (My Old Ky. Home)
Bourbon Distillery - Visit the Home of Jim Beam | Jim Beam
Heaven Hill Distilleries - Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey and other Fine Spirits (http://www.heaven-hill.com/main.shtml - broken link)
Mammoth Cave National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (Mammoth Cave)
National Corvette Museum

I could go on. This is a list of things on or near I-65 from Louisville to Bowling Green.
Have a good and safe trip!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 AM

396 posts, read 607,715 times
Louisville area is just a stopping point for either a meal or place to rest on our way to Mammoth Caves, area.

We will have left Cleveland early in the morning, and Mammoth Caves is 8-10 hours from there, and well, my wife can't sit in a car that long.

Lunch in Columbus, Dinner and Zoo in Cincinnati (maybe staying in this area overnight), then stopping in Louisville area the next morning for a meal and then on to Mammoth Caves area.

Skip

Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 AM

7,071 posts, read 16,766,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Short and sweet? Yes, I'm curious why?

Skip

Actually, I have just banned this user for incessant trolling. It actually turns out his IP traces back to the grand city of...Paducah KY. Seriously, great town, but we keep seeing the same negativity.

As for Louisville, it is a culturally vibrant city, as are the others on your tour. I do not think you can do the city justice with just one morning, but if you want breakfast in the city, definitely stop at one of the Wild Eggs locations. I have never had a better breakfast. Louisville is a great foodie city. For advice, check out the free forum at LouisvilleHotBytes.com

While in town, you cannot miss Frankfort Avenue and especially Bardstown Road. Stop at Why Louisville and Ear-X-Tacy for some local flavor.

Check out the old Mansions in Old Louisville, America's largest Victorian district.

Enjoy a walk along Waterfront Park, Cherokee Park, or check out the Louisville Slugger bat Museum or Muhammad Ali Center, or the Kentucky Derby Museum at historic Churchill Downs.

I would strongly consider staying your night in Louisville. The 21c Museum Hotel was named the number one hotel in the WORLD by Conde Naste Traveler. It is a sight to be seen itself and looks like something in SoHo NYC.

If you state more preferences, I can help you more.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 AM

797 posts, read 2,340,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
but if you want breakfast in the city, definitely stop at one of the Wild Eggs locations. I have never had a better breakfast. Louisville is a great foodie city. For advice, check out the free forum at LouisvilleHotBytes.com
Oh my gosh, I was just going to suggest Wild Eggs as well if the OP was only stopping for breakfast. I love that place, and there are 3 or 4 locations around town. The most convenient for the OP might be the one off of I-264 and Westport Rd.

To the OP, if you are just stopping in Louisville to stretch your legs and get a bite to eat, I would also suggest taking a walk along the riverfront in Waterfront Park. Indiana has some great views of downtown and the river, but I wouldn't recommend crossing over due to some issues we are having with a bridge down here and the resulting traffic problems. It's been taking some poor people 2 hours to make what used to be a 15-20 minute commute in the morning

Old 09-14-2011, 10:37 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,919,172 times
If you enjoy zoos and caves, check out Kentucky Down Under in Horse Cave, just off I-65. It features extremely well-cared-for Australian birds and animals on the surface, and has a small but exquisitely "decorated" cave just below. The staff is intelligent and very well-informed, friendly and personable. Also of possible interest, in downtown Horse Cave right on Main Street, is Hidden River Cave, with a museum about caves and their formation and related topics. Given a choice between the two activities, I'd go for Ky Down Under, if your time is brief. You can pace yourself on the surface; the cave tour takes about 45 minutes but might be shortened if you're the only tour-goers and you let your guide know.

You might also enjoy Glendale, just south of Elizabethtown and a short distance west of I-65. Charming little village, filled with historic houses, antique shops and offering delicious food at the trackside Whistle-Stop Cafe, located in a log cabin.

Mammoth Cave National Park is farther down the road, near Cave City and Park City. In addition to a variety of cave tours, there are good hiking trails, cabins and a lodge, and sometimes boatrides on the scenic Green River. Additional accommodations can be found in both "Cities" just outside the park proper. It's just "Mammoth Cave", not "Mammoth Caves", btw - lots of caves in this area, but Mammoth Cave is just one, and it's the world's largest.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM

396 posts, read 607,715 times
Thank you all for the up-date.

We did get the Louisville Tourist book in the mail yesterday, and it didn't seem that bad a place?

As for the caves, while there appear to be many in Mammoth, which would be the best bet if we went to only one of them?

Skip

Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 PM

7,071 posts, read 16,766,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Thank you all for the up-date.

We did get the Louisville Tourist book in the mail yesterday, and it didn't seem that bad a place?

As for the caves, while there appear to be many in Mammoth, which would be the best bet if we went to only one of them?

Skip
Mammoth by far. I also hear the Louisville Mega Cavern has some sort of zip line which is fun.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,832,101 times
The Highlands is one of the best spots in the city. Always a hustle and bustle, people are nice. There's a few restaurants downtown outside of 4SL.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:38 AM

44 posts, read 124,963 times
If you're going to be in/near Cinci anyway, Newport on the Levee has a variety of things. Check it out on the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area