Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 PM

59 posts, read 210,052 times

Advertisements

Just another confirmation why I left this hell hole of a place!!!!!. I worked downtown, I'm so glad I left. I can't imagine what I65 will be like once you get on the other side of the Watterson coming South or going North. Good luck!!! Glad its not me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 04:29 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Thank you

Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thank you
De nada.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 AM

261 posts, read 500,769 times
So now all this metro area with 1 million + has is one interstate bridge and a small bridge built in 1929? Christ, what a joke. It was inevitable that one day, one of these bridges would have a problem. I just always thought it would be the JFK.

Is there another metro area in the country that has such a gaping hole in it's infrastructure? The new bridges should have been built years and years and years ago. I doubt there's another area in the country that's fumbled such an important infrastructure issue so badly. Absolutely pitiful leadership. If there was an east in bridge right now then it would help the Minton situation quite a bit.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
So now all this metro area with 1 million + has is one interstate bridge and a small bridge built in 1929? Christ, what a joke. It was inevitable that one day, one of these bridges would have a problem. I just always thought it would be the JFK.
And here's what is scary -- it still could be the JFK. Can you imagine if that bridge has problems now as well?

I honestly believe this puts the opposition to a new bridge to rest. If the SM bridge will be shut down for 6 months or more, people will be screaming for a new bridge. The traffic issue is awful this morning and I don't see it getting much better since this isn't a situation where people can "learn" the alternatives. There aren't any side streets going over the river.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
I'm thinking that my deliveries to the Metro will take a LOT longer. Maybe I'll just come into Southern IN via U.S. 50 and I-65 to my Jeffersonville & New Albany stores...

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
And here's what is scary -- it still could be the JFK. Can you imagine if that bridge has problems now as well?

I honestly believe this puts the opposition to a new bridge to rest. If the SM bridge will be shut down for 6 months or more, people will be screaming for a new bridge. The traffic issue is awful this morning and I don't see it getting much better since this isn't a situation where people can "learn" the alternatives. There aren't any side streets going over the river.
I have read a couple of reports that the Kennedy bridge was operating at mass capacity before the Minton bridge issue. This will definitely raise the stakes. The construction of new bridges needs to start last year.

Quote:
I'm thinking that my deliveries to the Metro will take a LOT longer. Maybe I'll just come into Southern IN via U.S. 50 and I-65 to my Jeffersonville & New Albany stores...
CC, that may not help much. I read on the Facebook WHAS11 reports that there was a five mile backup at the Kennedy........at 5:30 am. That is how crazy this will get.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 AM

You have to remember that although it took Kentucky an agonizing ten years to paint the Kennedy Bridge, they also went over it with a fine tooth comb. Having said that, it is also slated to be inspected in detail, so hopefully, they will not find any serious issues with it. If they do, we are all going to be screwed.

What really gets under my skin was that it was just a couple of days before Governor Daniels declared it unsafe that Will Wingdom (?), of the INDOT declared the bridge structurally safe. I've been driving across the SM bridge most of my life, and I must say that I've never seen it look as bad as it has looked in the past two years. The amount of corrosion that has been allowed to eat away at the metal is criminal, IMHO.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
You mean there is another way to get over to the "sunny side of Louisville"~? Where is U.S. 50 at~?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
You mean there is another way to get over to the "sunny side of Louisville"~? Where is U.S. 50 at~?
I have a friend who works in New Albany but lives here in Louisville who is already talking about moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area