U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 PM

10 posts, read 44,036 times

Advertisements

I recently visited Louisville and liked the city very much so I hope to move there soon. Based on the advice given here (thanks to all, esp stx124999!) I checked out Highlands, Clifton, Crescent Hill, St Matthews. Bardstown Road, Frankfort Ave and Shelbyville road are all nice and I hope to live in one of these or a similar area. I would be working in the heart of downtown.

I would much prefer not to drive to work and living right downtown doesn't seem practical (I didn't see grocery stores, corner stores, etc.).

- How is the bus service during rush hour from those east end neighborhoods? How long does it take? Is it crowded? Is it reliable? Are there express buses? Is it better at, say, 7am than 8am?

- Is it crazy to suggest riding a bike to work? I've seen most of the info on bike routes and visited the Bicycle club site but real experiences count for a lot.

I'd consider living in any neighbourhood that is nice and that is within 20 minutes bus-ride of downtown (during rush hour) too.

Any insights are much appreciated - thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 02:45 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,379,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yegna97 View Post
I recently visited Louisville and liked the city very much so I hope to move there soon. Based on the advice given here (thanks to all, esp stx124999!) I checked out Highlands, Clifton, Crescent Hill, St Matthews. Bardstown Road, Frankfort Ave and Shelbyville road are all nice and I hope to live in one of these or a similar area. I would be working in the heart of downtown.

I would much prefer not to drive to work and living right downtown doesn't seem practical (I didn't see grocery stores, corner stores, etc.).

- How is the bus service during rush hour from those east end neighborhoods? How long does it take? Is it crowded? Is it reliable? Are there express buses? Is it better at, say, 7am than 8am?

- Is it crazy to suggest riding a bike to work? I've seen most of the info on bike routes and visited the Bicycle club site but real experiences count for a lot.

I'd consider living in any neighbourhood that is nice and that is within 20 minutes bus-ride of downtown (during rush hour) too.

Any insights are much appreciated - thank you!
There are two corner groceries downtown: Market on Market (http://www.marketonmarket.com - broken link)

and La Bodega at Felice. Both are small groceries open during the day and focusing on fresh fruits and delis, organic staples, and common needed items like milk and eggs. It is plenty to get you by. Also, there is Kroger .5 miles south of the CBD. It is loving called "ghetto Kroger." The store hasn't been updated since the 1980's and is old and small, but it has everything you need. Also, Valumarket is a sweet locally owned grocery in the lower highlands just 7 minutes from downtown. In short, the lack of groceries shoul NOT be a deterrant to you living downtown. Also, any chain retail you culd want from Target to Walmart is located just 5 minutes north across the bridge in Clarksville, IN. There is no need to head to St Matthews or other eastern Louisville suburbs for shopping. There is over 2 billion in construction underway downtown by 2010. I would expect a full service grocery and in the CBD by then. Just yesterday another huge retail announcement was made, and within 3-5 years you will be able to walk to everything you need downtown, from a place to buy a new suit, to a movie theatre, to a basketball arena and more (and there is already lots to do downtown, especially museums, nightlife, and eats wise):

$250 million project planned downtown

If you are going to be working in the heart of downtown, consider living there and walking to work. Another option would be Old Louisville, just south of downtown, where there is a nice bike lane that runs less than 2 miles into the CBD via 3rd street. There is also a similar bike lane that runs up the east market/main condo district. Downtown is a growing, dynamic place. It may seem a little dead on weekdays now, but that is changing fast.

I think your other options are really the lower Highlands around the intersection of Baxter and Highland or in Clifton around the intersection of Frankfort and Haldeman or so. These areas have reliable bus service in the morning and if you timed the bus right, you could get to almost any destination downtown in 10-15 minutes max. Old Louisville also has good bus service around 4th and Hill. Try those three areas as your "epicenter" and fan out from there. Also, consider downtown. With all the new development, it may be a really exciting place by 2010, something not seen in many metros Louisville's size:

TARC: Transit Authority of River City (http://www.ridetarc.org - broken link)

The system map is not hard to figure out. Spend some time with it...

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-20-2007 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 44,036 times
Thanks for all your info stx, now, and over the past few days I've been reading your posts. I will start my apartment search in those 3 areas and consider your advice about downtown seriously.

I'd also like to hear about biking in the city, safety, courtesy of drivers, etc.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:59 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,379,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yegna97 View Post
Thanks for all your info stx, now, and over the past few days I've been reading your posts. I will start my apartment search in those 3 areas and consider your advice about downtown seriously.

I'd also like to hear about biking in the city, safety, courtesy of drivers, etc.
The city was awarded a bronze star for biking, but it hasn't been the most friendly to bikers. Recently, a prominant local biker was hit and killed while crossing the 2nd street bridge. The mayor keeps focusing on biker awareness and "sharrows" where bikes share roads with cars. Louisville is adding a lot of new paths but still has a ways to go to be as biker friendly as a place like Madison, WI. Overall, it is a good city for biking and there are alot of cyclists and people who bike to work. There is a large bike depot downtown where many bike commuters park their bikes. You may try to google it, I believe its on Jefferson St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area