U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:21 AM

6 posts, read 14,675 times

Advertisements

Looking at houses on the Internet and wondering if the following subdivision are considered safe areas to the local natives?
Forest Hill,Sunshine Acres,Bittersweet,Bittersweet Villa and Treasure Island????

By safe I mean, would a short middle age women be able to walk around the block by herself and not be afraid of the neighbors?? or would I need to take my husband and a walking stick?

I would also like to know if these areas have flooding issues or a history of tornados??

Any help would be great!! Our price range for houses is 100,000 to 150,000s,
We would like a ranch with a basement

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,554,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainmanSf View Post
Looking at houses on the Internet and wondering if the following subdivision are considered safe areas to the local natives?
Forest Hill,Sunshine Acres,Bittersweet,Bittersweet Villa and Treasure Island????

By safe I mean, would a short middle age women be able to walk around the block by herself and not be afraid of the neighbors?? or would I need to take my husband and a walking stick?

I would also like to know if these areas have flooding issues or a history of tornados??

Any help would be great!! Our price range for houses is 100,000 to 150,000s,
We would like a ranch with a basement

Thanks
Not certain you are looking in Louisville considering the areas listed.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 AM

6,368 posts, read 15,374,082 times
^^
Sunshine Acres - Shepherdsville Rd and Fern Valley Rd area across from Whispering Hills Apts and subdivision

Bittersweet and BS Villa - across from Southern High School in Okolona

Treasure Island - next to Blue Lick Elementary and Knight Middle Schools

there are 3 Forest Hill(s) in the area

Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,554,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
^^
Sunshine Acres - Shepherdsville Rd and Fern Valley Rd area across from Whispering Hills Apts and subdivision

Bittersweet and BS Villa - across from Southern High School in Okolona

Treasure Island - next to Blue Lick Elementary and Knight Middle Schools

there are 3 Forest Hill(s) in the area
I stand corrected. I was thinking neighborhoods instead of subdivisions.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:13 PM

6 posts, read 14,675 times
So what can you tell me about these subdivisions?????

Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,544,269 times
All three are in a more lower middle class, blue-collar area of the county that I personally (and with admitted bias) think are going down and not up.

There are a lot of deals on nice, ranch houses for around $150,000 in the nicer and more upwardly mobile east end of the county. I'd far rather be off Westport Road, for example, than in Okolona.

Just my opinion, and keep in mind that I'm a snob!

Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 12,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
All three are in a more lower middle class, blue-collar area of the county that I personally (and with admitted bias) think are going down and not up.

There are a lot of deals on nice, ranch houses for around $150,000 in the nicer and more upwardly mobile east end of the county. I'd far rather be off Westport Road, for example, than in Okolona.

Just my opinion, and keep in mind that I'm a snob!
I agree that Okolona is going downhill and has been for sometime, and I can't wait to get out of here. I live off Blue Lick closer to Outer Loop, and we lucked out because everyone on our street is 50+ years old, quiet, and very watchful of each other's properties. There are some pretty rough patches just streets over from me, and I wouldn't dare walk the neighborhoods by myself after dark. In another 10-15 years I think Okolona will be a pretty scary place, not to mention Southern High School is pathetic.

Trainman, I would stay away from Treasure Island. The rest of the neighborhoods mentioned are just going to be luck. This area is in a flood zone, you are required to pay for flood insurance. Termites are also an issue. I have never had problems with a tornado touching down (usually happens further towards Bullitt County) but we do get plenty of warnings during the tornado months.

Ferncreek (40291) is a little better overall than Okolona. Prices of homes are going to be just a tad bit higher, but I feel that Ferncreek has a lot more time left before becoming like Okolona. You should also look into Mt. Washington (40047) you can get a nice house for a very good price.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,678,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amm22607 View Post
I agree that Okolona is going downhill and has been for sometime, and I can't wait to get out of here. I live off Blue Lick closer to Outer Loop, and we lucked out because everyone on our street is 50+ years old, quiet, and very watchful of each other's properties. There are some pretty rough patches just streets over from me, and I wouldn't dare walk the neighborhoods by myself after dark. In another 10-15 years I think Okolona will be a pretty scary place, not to mention Southern High School is pathetic.

Trainman, I would stay away from Treasure Island. The rest of the neighborhoods mentioned are just going to be luck. This area is in a flood zone, you are required to pay for flood insurance. Termites are also an issue. I have never had problems with a tornado touching down (usually happens further towards Bullitt County) but we do get plenty of warnings during the tornado months.

Ferncreek (40291) is a little better overall than Okolona. Prices of homes are going to be just a tad bit higher, but I feel that Ferncreek has a lot more time left before becoming like Okolona. You should also look into Mt. Washington (40047) you can get a nice house for a very good price.
i live off of bonaventure and this place is horrible. is it safe? i never really hear about any violent crime. is it a place i would tell anyone to live? absolutely not. okolona is a rapidly declining area full of sixth-generation white trash okolonians. never have i encountered such rude, ignorant people on a daily basis. nothing but sub-woofers and harleys at all hours of the night. home break ins and meth lab busts seem to be the crimes of choice. the day i put this white-trash, jerry springer breeding ground in my rear-view mirror i will feel like i have won the lottery.

btw, i call it neckolona

Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,991,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
i live off of bonaventure and this place is horrible. is it safe? i never really hear about any violent crime. is it a place i would tell anyone to live? absolutely not. okolona is a rapidly declining area full of sixth-generation white trash okolonians. never have i encountered such rude, ignorant people on a daily basis. nothing but sub-woofers and harleys at all hours of the night. home break ins and meth lab busts seem to be the crimes of choice. the day i put this white-trash, jerry springer breeding ground in my rear-view mirror i will feel like i have won the lottery.

btw, i call it neckolona
Are you still interested in moving out to Arizona? At least I thought you were.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,678,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Are you still interested in moving out to Arizona? At least I thought you were.
absolutely. just have to sell my upside-down home in a declining nabe first, lol. but yes, when we sell we will be zona bound.

btw, where do you live now? i think you used to live here in louisville but i've also seen you on the phoenix forums. just curious. i have friends in benecia and my wife and i are huge raider fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area