U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,343 times

Advertisements

Hi, me and my husband are trying to find a decent house for ourselves, but have been confused about the areas to target. We are relatively new to Louisville(3 years) and have no kids. Our budget is <=$250,000. We do not specifically like rural settings. We are currently looking at houses in Jefferson County... around Douglas Hill, Taylorsville Rd area(saratoga constuctions). We want to buy a house in an area where property would appreciate enough to sell the house after 5-6 years without any loss, at the same time it should not be far towards the east side of the city.

Please advice about the Jefferson county and what is the average housing cost there. Should we have any concerns in terms of appreciation of property in this county. Also if there are any other areas we can target.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,511,536 times
You have hit a good area if you like Douglas Hill although the prices for DH are a bit inflated due to an unlikely cause. When Southeast Christian Church built there, people flocked to live close by, and with good cause. They wanted to be close to where their children would be for Youth activities, etc. (Mom's taxi can still be expensive). I like Forest Springs. Modern homes, nice neighborhood, e-z to and from. To go to the opposite, but equally dynamic, I would have to consider 3-4 blocks parallel to Shelbyville Rd which forks to become Lexington Rd & Frankfort Ave. from Hubbards Lane to Ewing Ave on Frankfort, & Stilz on Lexington Rd. Those homes are typically in your price range (although some could be higher) and they have their own special character.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 PM

6,973 posts, read 15,101,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
You have hit a good area if you like Douglas Hill although the prices for DH are a bit inflated due to an unlikely cause. When Southeast Christian Church built there, people flocked to live close by, and with good cause. They wanted to be close to where their children would be for Youth activities, etc. (Mom's taxi can still be expensive). I like Forest Springs. Modern homes, nice neighborhood, e-z to and from. To go to the opposite, but equally dynamic, I would have to consider 3-4 blocks parallel to Shelbyville Rd which forks to become Lexington Rd & Frankfort Ave. from Hubbards Lane to Ewing Ave on Frankfort, & Stilz on Lexington Rd. Those homes are typically in your price range (although some could be higher) and they have their own special character.
Lexington road is a wonderful area for families. Located in Crescent Hill, you have all the amenties of a major city at your doorstep yet you are safe in a charming restored old home that has better resale value. There are lots of kids around and a plethora of private and Catholic schools in the area. Clearly the hot home selling area has been and continues to be the Crescent Hill/StMatthews area. This are has the fastest home turnover and some of the greatest appreciation, although the greatest appreciation is actually in the older urban areas around downtown and Old Louisville, and even parts of the West End (where homes were so undervalued that a home valued at 30k in 2000 may be worth 80k now)
I will try to dig up the CJ article and teh demographics done by Paul Coomes and the Census Bureau.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 17,184 times
Default Info on Western and South Western Louisville

I love Louisville and I live there for a few years, however when I lived there, I was young and single. I moved away for about 4 years now, but when I lived in Louisville, I lived in Old Louisville, and the Hurstbourne area. I have nothing bad to say about either places, I loved them both. Now I have the opportunity to move back to Louisville. My family consists of my husband, my very young child, and myself. The area where my husband will be working, is close to where Dixie Hwy. and 7th st. rd. meet. I had always thought that was a "bad" part of town?? Am I wrong? Shively is the area. If we do move there, where are the "bad" parts of Shively, and where are the decent neighborhoods. I do not want to live downtown, and I would also like to have a yard, for our dog. I am really not sure what is available in that part of town... all info is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:09 PM

6,973 posts, read 15,101,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcbm View Post
I love Louisville and I live there for a few years, however when I lived there, I was young and single. I moved away for about 4 years now, but when I lived in Louisville, I lived in Old Louisville, and the Hurstbourne area. I have nothing bad to say about either places, I loved them both. Now I have the opportunity to move back to Louisville. My family consists of my husband, my very young child, and myself. The area where my husband will be working, is close to where Dixie Hwy. and 7th st. rd. meet. I had always thought that was a "bad" part of town?? Am I wrong? Shively is the area. If we do move there, where are the "bad" parts of Shively, and where are the decent neighborhoods. I do not want to live downtown, and I would also like to have a yard, for our dog. I am really not sure what is available in that part of town... all info is greatly appreciated.
You are correct that is not a good area. It is located near Park Hill, in the old distillery district. As much of the industry left that area, it declined. Shively is a very mixed city now. The nicest parts are further SW towards the Watterson Expressway. There are nice affordable homes out there where you can find a 3BR/2Bath ranch for 100k. The area has smaller yards, but enough for children to play in. Missymomof3 lives further south on Dixie, in Pleasure Ridge Park, and she knows the area much better than many of us. Perhaps she can chime in....I will say she always speaks highly of the area. I agree it has friendly people and cheaper homes (more bang for you rbuck) while being middle class and having relatively low crime rates. The northern edge of Shively has become a bit rough around the edges and is not the most desirable area.

If you go east of 7th street, say going down Hill street, you run into Old Louisville. The area is largely gentrified and offers beautiful old mansions, condos, and bungalows at affordable prices. That area, along with Beechmont further south, would be wonderful options for nicer, historic neighborhoods near your husband's work.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,874,113 times
Hello! Well, I have to agree that the 7th street area is not the best. It depends on what you want as far as types of housing. Areas to avoid are Sylvania neighborhood, Dixie Beach and the Rubbertown area (Lee's lane and streets in that area. not because it's necessarily bad but there's pollution from Dupont and Rohm and Haus)
Look at the 40216 (which is broad, not all of it is Shively) 40258 (Pleasure Ridge Park) or 40272 (Valley Station) or even Fairdale (I don't remember the zip). There is even the Iroquois Park area (Southern Parkway) as well. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2007, 07:57 AM

686 posts, read 1,789,725 times
Default Be Careful

Tintan,

Presently the housing market is in a real turmoil on both coasts, with foreclosures skyrocketing and mortgage money drying up. House prices are dropping by double diget percentages. There appears to be a growing consensus among some that this situation will be spreading across the US. I know Kentucky RE has not been exposed to the inflationary pressures evident in other parts of the country, but be aware that the house you buy today may be worth a lot less a year from now. No one knows what will happen in 5-6 years - just be careful. I too will be buying a house very soon (like next week) but have no expectation of any price appreciation in the next several years and wouldn't be surprised to have paper losses for a while. Best of luck.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM

12 posts, read 67,251 times
Well I currently live in Southwest Louisville.... now in the Hardwood Forest Neighborhood about 2 miles from Dixie Highway off of Arnoldtown Road. Those homes usually run anywhere from 350,000-1.5 million with many golf course lots.. the eastern side of Dixie Highway is where your more upscale homes will be located, but you may still be able to find a few in the 150,000-200,000 range. I would partic.. stay south of the watterson all together no matter which side you choose. Terry Road off Greenwood has some nice areas such as grandel farms with homes in the 200,000-400,000. It is def. an area that is percieved wrong by most of louisville. esc. the east end. they hate s-w louisville.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:02 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,511,536 times
I beg your pardon... Those of us who live in the northeast end of Jefferson and in Oldham County don't hate the s-w Jefferson County. Until available land gave out in the east and north east, there were great economic incentives to not buy in the s-w end. Now, however, the wheel is rolling back to the s-w area. There isn't a lot of building space left in Jefferson County any where, but with sewers and other improvements to the s-w area infrastructure, you will begin to see more development and higher resale values.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,874,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS LOU View Post
Well I currently live in Southwest Louisville.... now in the Hardwood Forest Neighborhood about 2 miles from Dixie Highway off of Arnoldtown Road. Those homes usually run anywhere from 350,000-1.5 million with many golf course lots.. the eastern side of Dixie Highway is where your more upscale homes will be located, but you may still be able to find a few in the 150,000-200,000 range. I would partic.. stay south of the watterson all together no matter which side you choose. Terry Road off Greenwood has some nice areas such as grandel farms with homes in the 200,000-400,000. It is def. an area that is percieved wrong by most of louisville. esc. the east end. they hate s-w louisville.
Oh yes, the Arnoldtown road area is VERY nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area