Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 AM
nik nik started this thread

58 posts, read 244,793 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing Louisville and I had a couple of questions regarding the schools.

If we move, we would almost certainly live in the area around Cherokee/Seneca Park, so The Highlands, Cherokee Triangle, Seneca Park, etc.

My daughter has 1 or 2 more years until K (she has a Sept b-day) and I have done quite a bit of research about the Jefferson County Schools. I am just having a hard time figuring out how the clusters work and how difficult is it to get your child into a strong school in your cluster. Also, can you apply to neighboring clusters. We live in Charlotte, NC and it is getting next to impossible to get a seat in any school that isn't your neighborhood school here. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm just trying to get a reasonable expectation of what we could realistically expect. What elementaries that area are considered the best? The test schools look like they are all over the place. Our home schools would possibly be Hawthorne. Is Field a good school? Is it hard to get a spot?

Also, she is enrolled to start in a private Montessori school here this fall. What are the most highly regarded Montessori schools in Louisville? From what I can tell, there is Ursuline, Hayfield, Urban and the Montessori School of Louisville.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated. I am aware of the fact that many people do send their children to Private (Catholic) School there. It would be our preference that she go to public school. Our home school now is very diverse (I think it is about 50% caucasian) but it is a good, progressive school, so we are comfortable with that type of environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
As you may or may not be aware, Jefferson County Public Schools was challenged in the US Supreme Court. Because the Supreme Court ruled against JCPS, there is only one thing for certain, "nothing is certain" for the next several years. I am interested in your choice of areas to plan on living in the Highlands, etc.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
As you may or may not be aware, Jefferson County Public Schools was challenged in the US Supreme Court. Because the Supreme Court ruled against JCPS, there is only one thing for certain, "nothing is certain" for the next several years. I am interested in your choice of areas to plan on living in the Highlands, etc.
Yes, the woman who initiated the JCPS case was a college roommate of one of my neighbors in Charlotte and I'd read about the case in the NY Times.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 PM

16 posts, read 51,073 times
Default schools in louisville

While I don't have any direct information on the schools in the areas you are looking into, I do have a couple of suggestions. You may have done this one already but google "louisville public school" or "Jefferson County Schools Louisville" and go to the JCPS website. They have a pdf of their 'Choices' catalog or you can just call the phone number listed. They have a new edition coming out Oct. 07. I recently talked to someone on their fact line and she said they don't anticpate too many changes until the 2009-2010 school year. Of course, that could change. You might also go to the Louisville Courier Journal website and click on Kentuckiana Moms. Lots of people post school-related questions there. Also check out greatschools.net and schooldigger--two websites that have detailed info and parental reviews. And, lastly, there's a "Showcase of Schools" every year at the convention center. All the area schools have reps there to answer questions. I think it's held in October, which is good since you have to turn in your school choices in February. I'm not sure how helpful this has been but I hope it wasn't a waste of time to read.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:09 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Elaine, you wrote very well. Thank you for sharing all that valuable information. The kind of stuff you included is exactly what this blog is all about. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 AM

Thank you for the info!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:15 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S. View Post
While I don't have any direct information on the schools in the areas you are looking into, I do have a couple of suggestions. You may have done this one already but google "louisville public school" or "Jefferson County Schools Louisville" and go to the JCPS website. They have a pdf of their 'Choices' catalog or you can just call the phone number listed. They have a new edition coming out Oct. 07. I recently talked to someone on their fact line and she said they don't anticpate too many changes until the 2009-2010 school year. Of course, that could change. You might also go to the Louisville Courier Journal website and click on Kentuckiana Moms. Lots of people post school-related questions there. Also check out greatschools.net and schooldigger--two websites that have detailed info and parental reviews. And, lastly, there's a "Showcase of Schools" every year at the convention center. All the area schools have reps there to answer questions. I think it's held in October, which is good since you have to turn in your school choices in February. I'm not sure how helpful this has been but I hope it wasn't a waste of time to read.
yeah, thanks alot...i can answer real estate questions but I struggle with these school questions, and we get them alot here. Hopefully you'll stick around and help other people with questions on Louisville schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: