Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 10,324 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I hope you can help with my rental search.

We're moving to Louisville, KY in a couple of weeks from the United Kingdom, I've received a verbal job offer and we're waiting for the contract to come through, so we will relocate when I have that signed and returned. We're currently staying in Florida whilst waiting for this to come through, but we visited Louisville for a couple of days this week (drove up & back... don't do it!), and dropped off some of our belongings at a storage place up there. We used the time to visit the areas we may move to and scope out some options. However, nothing fully convinced me, so I figure the opinion of others is definitely worth pursuing.

Our desired apartment would have:

- a lot of living space (nice flow between living/dining/kitchen areas) (Hoping for 1500sq ft)

- 2 bed, 2 bath

- Furnished (if at all possible, will use Corts or similar if not)

- Pet Friendly

- New/high quality appliances

We've looked around the J-Town area (Plainview was probably the best development we saw there), and the "Summit" area (Summit shopping cener is there). Up there, the best we saw was Crowne at the Summit.

We ventured into the Highlands area, but I think we got our directions wrong because we ended up in an area that seemed rather ghetto.. Would be interested in both Highlands or Downtown if it can fulfill our criteria, though seems counter intuitive based on where I'm working.

Anyway, here's my answers to the questionnaire:

-Where you are working
I'll working based at an office on Blankenbaker Parkway, just off the 64.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
I'm earning a healthy salary with my job, and my partner will be working too. We're looking for a 6 month to one year rental to make sure we're happy with everything before we purchase a house.

I'd say we're willing to max out at about $1500 monthly for 2 bed, 2 bath with the features we desire, maybe more if in downtown or something truly special.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
I'm actually ok with 30-45 minutes if necessary. I don't mind driving, but of course, less is better. I perceive my partner's work to be downtown & on (she is in medical sales field), so proximity to road links would be useful.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids, but we have a small dog (8lbs)

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Well, we want to be able to meet people. We're both in our late 20s ('m 28, gf is 26), and we're looking to be around people of similar age ideally.

-Community amenities important to you
A garage or covered parking would be very useful, also a Balcony/Patio area would be great. Pet friendly is also a must.

-Pie or cake?
Cake, all the way.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 10-16-2011 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonKennedy View Post
Hi everyone, I hope you can help with my rental search.

We're moving to Louisville, KY in a couple of weeks from the United Kingdom, I've received a verbal job offer and we're waiting for the contract to come through, so we will relocate when I have that signed and returned. We're currently staying in Florida whilst waiting for this to come through, but we visited Louisville for a couple of days this week (drove up & back... don't do it!), and dropped off some of our belongings at a storage place up there. We used the time to visit the areas we may move to and scope out some options. However, nothing fully convinced me, so I figure the opinion of others is definitely worth pursuing.

Our desired apartment would have:

- a lot of living space (nice flow between living/dining/kitchen areas) (Hoping for 1500sq ft)

- 2 bed, 2 bath

- Furnished (if at all possible, will use Corts or similar if not)

- Pet Friendly

- New/high quality appliances

We've looked around the J-Town area (Plainview was probably the best development we saw there), and the "Summit" area (Summit shopping cener is there). Up there, the best we saw was Crowne at the Summit.

We ventured into the Highlands area, but I think we got our directions wrong because we ended up in an area that seemed rather ghetto.. Would be interested in both Highlands or Downtown if it can fulfill our criteria, though seems counter intuitive based on where I'm working.

Anyway, here's my answers to the questionnaire:

-Where you are working
I'll working based at an office on Blakel nbaker Parkway, just off the 64.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
I'm earning a healthy salary with my job, and my partner will be working too. We're looking for a 6 month to one year rental to make sure we're happy with everything before we purchase a house.

I'd say we're willing to max out at about $1500 monthly for 2 bed, 2 bath with the features we desire, maybe more if in downtown or something truly special.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
I'm actually ok with 30-45 minutes if necessary. I don't mind driving, but of course, less is better. I perceive my partner's work to be downtown & on (she is in medical sales field), so proximity to road links would be useful.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids, but we have a small dog (8lbs)

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Well, we want to be able to meet people. We're both in our late 20s ('m 28, gf is 26), and we're looking to be around people of similar age ideally.

-Community amenities important to you
A garage or covered parking would be very useful, also a Balcony/Patio area would be great. Pet friendly is also a must.

-Pie or cake?
Cake, all the way.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
First, you have to make up your mind where you live. You missed whole vast swaths of the city, and if you were in a "ghetto" area, it was not the Highlands. It is hard to judge a city in two days, especially one the size of Louisville, unless you are a real urbanite. The fact that you got lost speaks to things otherwise.

I actually live in FL. Yes, Louisville looks old and worn in parts compared to that state, but you have to realize that is part of the grit of the place. If you want a brand spanking new place, the areas inside 264 are not for you. However, if you appreciate reurbished old homes and apartment buildings, then the older parts of the city are great. Bottom line, you want to live in one of 4 areas as a young professional. I will give you street names instead of neighborhood names. For starters, I would look near Bardstown Rd and Baxter Avenue, especially the area close to Cherokee Rd and Highland Avenue.

Next, I would like up and down the 4th street area, from the river to UofL. Next, I would focus in on the Franfort Avenue corridor, basically from river road all the way to Breckenridge lane, and, perhaps, out to Mall St Matthews. This area is as "suburban" as I would get as a young professional. Holing yourself up in these drive in apartment complexes is not at all conducive to meeting people. Rather, rent a home or condo in one of the areas I mentioned. Also, I would look along Main and Market, especially east main and market, which are up and coming areas.

Use craigslist to find good rentals.

Should you want more of a "complex," City Properties is a group that manages and owns several urban lofts and condo/apartments downtown. I believe they are the best in the business locally. If I were moving back, I think Whiskey Row Lofts would be an awfully exciting one to be in:

Whiskey Row Lofts (http://www.whiskeyrowlofts.com/floorplans.php - broken link)

If not, I would look at one of the highrises or three flat condos near Cherokee Rd in the Highlands. Some names of some of the midrises overlooking Cherokee Park are Willow Terrace and the Bonnycastle, which are more of historic condo buildings that have people who lease out condos.

Should you decide that you feel uncomfortable with the diversity of the city, IMO the best and most community like suburban development is Norton Commons. It is a bit generic, but some people really believe in socieconomic segregation, and this development replicates the urban walkability and shops of the city while being in the exurbs, out past the Summit.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 10,324 times
Thanks for the advice. When we arrived in the city to the area that our sat nav declared was Highlands, there were groups of kids walking around all in red that looked decidedly like gang members, and shady looking people hanging out on all the corners. When we got out to Bardstown road area, things had improved greatly.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,316 times
Was it during a football game? Then there would be alot of people walking around in Red.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,266 times
Winston,

The Moderator lives in Florida............not L,KY.

I was there just 2 months ago. It's an ok place to live.....not too much has changed in the 20+ years I lived there.

I think you are on track as far as looking for locations close to where you work. You will probably be able to find something to rent, but not neccessarily with furniture.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 PM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Winston, I would take STX's advice. He has lived in Louisville and knows the area very well. As far as the comment that L'ville has not changed-whatever. There are some things that I would agree with in regard to change-the interstate system downtown has not changed in 20 plus years. The Ohio River bridges are a total joke. The Sherman Minton, which carries I64 traffic from Lexington through to southern Indiana is closed for the next few months. Basically all of the bridges are dated over 40 years. And for the city the size of Louisville, that's fairly backwards.
That said, there's been some good development around downtown, the area around east Main is experiencing a revitalization of sorts.
In all the years that I've lived in, or visited L'ville, I've rarely seen gangbanger types in the Highlands. I wonder if you strayed off course and was in Smoketown?
Now for my disclaimer about the city, and this is a controversial point on this forum. If, or when you have children, avoid Jefferson county public schools, unless you can get them into one of the magnet schools. The school board, way back in the 1970's adopted a policy of forced integration. Basically, each school must reach a certain quota. To achieve that, kids are "bussed" across town, sometimes 20-45 minutes away. It's a joke of an idea, and has been court ordered to be terminated. But the JCPS has, and will always appeal.
Anyways, off my soap box. If it were me, I would take another look at the Highlands, particularly if you like older neighborhoods, where you walk to restaurants, bars, shops, grocery stores, churches, parks. Some will say Old Louisville. And while the victorian style homes feature amazing architecture, there is just too much property crime to justify a move there, IMO. And, it's a hit or miss type neighborhood. You may live on one of the nicest blocks in the neighborhood, but a block or so from the local crackhouse. That said, you should stay a couple of nights in some of the Bed and Breakfast inns around Old Louisville, they make for a great date night with the wife. I would also look at St Matthews. There you have the best of worlds-close enough to the urban side of Louisville, yet a few minutes from the suburban lifestyle that are shopping malls, big box stores, restaurants.
Another option would be to buy/rent in Oldham County and commute to the city. A word of warning-property is HIGH in Oldham.
By the way, welcome to the USA and Kentucky. If you guys are into outdoor recreation (hiking, backpacking, canoeing) be sure to look me up, and ask questions. I live in London,KY now, so I'm near to some of the most scenic spots in the region-Daniel Boone National Forest, Big South Fork NRRA, Cumberland Falls, Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Lots of wonderful hiking this way.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
I would also add St Matthews. I really like the neighborhood feel of St. Matthews. Lots of young professionals and young families, mixed in with older families that have been there forever. You are close to downtown, walkable to numerous shops and restaurants, adjacent to Seneca Park. And you are a little more removed from rougher parts of town. What about renting a small house? I would imagine for $1500/month you could get a nice little home with a small yard for your dog.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:24 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
If you would be interested in going as far as I-71 Exit 14, I have a home that might work for you. It was built in 2003, has 1670 sq, 2.5 car basement garage, fenced yard. 3 minutes from the x-way. It can be rented for $1600.00 month partially furnished.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,266 times
I think St. Matthews is a great recommendation....centrally located, etc.

Also, before you rent furniture, consider consignments. Rental furniture and appliances are very, very expensive. You could buy furniture, and then turn around and resell it when you are finished with it......easier said than done, but I did have to "rent" some appliances, then got smart and bought off Craigslist only to relist and sell when I was finished.....a whole lot cheaper, and a really easy process.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:11 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I would also add St Matthews. I really like the neighborhood feel of St. Matthews. Lots of young professionals and young families, mixed in with older families that have been there forever. You are close to downtown, walkable to numerous shops and restaurants, adjacent to Seneca Park. And you are a little more removed from rougher parts of town. What about renting a small house? I would imagine for $1500/month you could get a nice little home with a small yard for your dog.
I concur. I currently live in the Southern part of St. Matthews (near Browns Ln and Dutchmans) and am decently satisfied with the neighborhood. Crime is pretty much a non-issue here. Close to everything you need.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. When we arrived in the city to the area that our sat nav declared was Highlands, there were groups of kids walking around all in red that looked decidedly like gang members, and shady looking people hanging out on all the corners. When we got out to Bardstown road area, things had improved greatly.
You wouldn't be the first guy thrown for a loop by his GPS here. The thing gets me in trouble with the one way streets in downtown. Also the Highlands and other parts surrounding have older buildings which can give of an impression of ghetto.

Quote:
Also, before you rent furniture, consider consignments. Rental furniture and appliances are very, very expensive. You could buy furniture, and then turn around and resell it when you are finished with it......easier said than done, but I did have to "rent" some appliances, then got smart and bought off Craigslist only to relist and sell when I was finished.....a whole lot cheaper, and a really easy process.
True. I got a couch for only $50 off of Craigslist from a couple of girls in St. Matthews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area