Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 AM

32 posts, read 125,007 times

Advertisements

hello...we will be moving to the louisville area in the next year...can anyone help us with middle/high school information and information about the st matthews area? we were considering old louisville but told it may be a little dangerous for kids at night...does anyone know what type of factory/plant jobs are in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
You have accurately received the facts. Old Louisville is not a place to raise middle/high schoolers. 10 years ago, the area was different, but with the destruction of a nearby high risk public housing area, many of the bad boys of Clarksdale moved south into the Smoketown area and fringes of Old Louisville. Old Louisville has a very high ratio of rental properties and that typically means more crime. Look for a better place to raise your children.

As for industry. Since the arrival of UPS Air in Louisville, many industries which need that overnight delivery have flurished. Ford and GE have still have a great presence, so there are many sub-contractors and support industries all around.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:23 PM

32 posts, read 125,007 times
thanks for the information...can anyone tell me how st matthews area is for school age children/school info/would a home in the $150-175,000 area be available? how is the traffic in louisville...thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 03:58 AM

Click on the link below and you will have a good representation of St. Matthews/Cresent Hill area of Louisville in the 150-200000 list price range.

http://glarmls.com/GLARReports/listi...?ID=6468558232

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St. Matthews is an outstanding area of Louisville. Lots of home for the money is typical. Great shopping, convenient, low crime. There is a great choice of schools available too. Traffic along Shelbyville Road has its moments, especially with Christmas shopping, but generally it is very smooth and easy to navigate.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:56 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
You have accurately received the facts. Old Louisville is not a place to raise middle/high schoolers. 10 years ago, the area was different, but with the destruction of a nearby high risk public housing area, many of the bad boys of Clarksdale moved south into the Smoketown area and fringes of Old Louisville. Old Louisville has a very high ratio of rental properties and that typically means more crime. Look for a better place to raise your children.

As for industry. Since the arrival of UPS Air in Louisville, many industries which need that overnight delivery have flurished. Ford and GE have still have a great presence, so there are many sub-contractors and support industries all around.

I strongly disagree about your Old Louisville statements. Old Louisville is not dangerous as far as violent crimes are concerned, and I personally know of two couples with small children there. I know of several UL professors who live there with their families. There are also many alternative families living there. And of course there are tons of families living there that you or I do not know about. Old Louisville has a higher rate of break ins and general crime than much of the eastern parts of the city, but it is certainly not the "ghetto" or a dangerous place to live...especially if you have ever stayed or lived in a larger city. The rumor about Clarksdale people moving into Old Louisville is largely not true. I know several people in Old Louisville and that is just a rumor around the neighborhood. The problem with Old Louisville is that it is surrounded by two rough areas on the west and east. Park Hill lies west of 7th street and Smoketown lies east of Floyd/I-65, which is the traditional boundaries of the neighborhood on the east and west.

I suppose I could go to the census to see how many children live there, but I strongly suspect more families live there than you think, and they are of all socioeconomic backgrounds and races--UNLIKE the east end. Anyone interested in historic rehabbed old homes, being outside the mainstream, Walmart/mall culture, and raising their children amongst at least a little diversity, should strongly consider Old Louisville. There is also a substantially large population of college students and gays in the area.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:33 PM

I will not argue, but once again facts back-up my recommendation. The Louisville Metro Police Department offers an on-line crime mapping system showing crime reports of the past 30 days. Nuff said..

LouisvilleKy.gov - Metro Police - Metro Police

Old 08-28-2007, 06:52 AM

8 posts, read 34,451 times
We lived in the St. Matthews/Lyndon area for several years and loved it. We are now living in Long Island due to my husband's profession. There are several neighborhood schools and all of the elementary schools were considered really good. However, Kammerer Jr High and Ballard High School were very popular in the neighborhood. We lived in a cul de sac so all of the neighborhood kids rode their bicycles or ran up and down the street. The Northeast YMCA is close by in Lyndon. My kids learned how to swim there. They also learned baseball, basketball and football by participating in the leagues. There are 2 bowling centers, 2 malls and lots of restaurants and stores nearby and of course you have the rest of Louisville. We like it so much we've kept our house and are planning to move back after my husband's retirement from the military. My kids will be older but there are several colleges and universities in state and the job market seems really good compared to other places we have been in. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area