U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 PM

89 posts, read 104,677 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm bringing a carload of friends down from Chicago to the Derby in May 2012, and am starting to look for a good place for us to stay. I actually grew up in Louisville (out by Crestwood and LaGrange) but would prefer to find a place either Downtown or along Bardstown road, so I could show my friends some cool places and take them out on the town when we're not at the races.

It's been quite a while since I was last here and I was hoping that you all could suggest decent hotels or bed * breakfasts for us. It'll be two guys and three girls as of right now, and I'm budgeting between $100 to $150 a night.

So, could you all kindly share your wisdom and experiences of the Louisville area hotels?

(Oh yeah, and if you know of any places to avoid please feel free to mention those as well and why.)

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM

242 posts, read 360,816 times
You're probably going to have a hard time finding a hotel to fit your needs within your budget. For derby weekend hotel rates jump drastically and most of them require two nights minimum. You may want to look at the downtown Courtyard or Fairfield Inns by Marriott. One big advantage to be downtown is you can use the TARC buses to go to and from Churchill downs.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM

89 posts, read 104,677 times
I apologize, I should have been more clear!

I was hoping for $100 to $150 per night per room, and that could hypothetically be bumped up to $200 per night per room if I get a few more people. I've found a few of the bigger hotels will have some room, but was curious what you all might be willing to share. I know it's a long shot, and frankly I am kind of considering getting a hotel further out along Hurstborne if needs be.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 PM

797 posts, read 2,160,991 times
I don't know how quickly they book up, but I would recommend looking into some of the Bed and Breakfasts in Old Louisville near Central Park. I love the area and there are some great places to eat within walking distance. They are also a very short distance from the track. I know some have rooms within your price range, although many are toward the top of that range. BUT, these are basically old mansions with have been converted and are pretty awesome. This link has websites for various websites for B&B's in the area Louisville Bed and Breakfast Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper27 View Post

I was hoping for $100 to $150 per night per room, and that could hypothetically be bumped up to $200 per night per room if I get a few more people. I've found a few of the bigger hotels will have some room, but was curious what you all might be willing to share. I know it's a long shot, and frankly I am kind of considering getting a hotel further out along Hurstborne if needs be.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:58 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,887,411 times
The Culbertson Mansion Historic Bed and Breakfast Inn

If they're interested in staying in a B&B with historical and literary ties, check this link out.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:28 AM

6,990 posts, read 15,123,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper27 View Post

mehhh. Don't do Hurstbourne. My first choice would be 21C Museum/Hotel. Even if you do not stay there, you should take your friends there. I would also look at the Hyatt, Marriot, and Seelbach downtown because they have stellar locations. Another thing you may want to try is search for "derby rental" in the search box of craigslist. Many people in the Highlands rent out their homes. If you could find a small house in the Highlands within walking distance of Bardstown and Highland Avenues, your friends would love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area