U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,197 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My husbands job in transferring to Louisville, in January. We just found this out yesterday. So I have lots of questions and I am hoping you all can help me out. We are both 35 married couple with 3 kids 12, 6 and 3. So I am concerned about schools and neighborhoods. My husband is going to be working on Algonquin Pky. From researching the area I am learning that Oldham county seem to have good schools?

Which are better Flyod Knobs or Oldham county schools?

Where are property taxes cheaper IN or Oldham county?

Where are we more likely to find a house 4 BR for around 170-200k?

What is there to do for families? Sports do they have summer sport leagues ect?

Church is important to me, plenty of churches with good youth groups?

Easy to meet people? Kids accept the new kids in the school?

Public pools water parks? Parks?

Would also like to live close to shopping, grocery wal-mart ect.

I have lived in a small town in Ohio most of my life and am very anxious about this move any help would be much appreciated!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 13,513,697 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio35 View Post
My husbands job in transferring to Louisville, in January. We just found this out yesterday. So I have lots of questions and I am hoping you all can help me out. We are both 35 married couple with 3 kids 12, 6 and 3. So I am concerned about schools and neighborhoods. My husband is going to be working on Algonquin Pky. From researching the area I am learning that Oldham county seem to have good schools?

Which are better Flyod Knobs or Oldham county schools? not enough difference to matter

Where are property taxes cheaper IN or Oldham county? not enough difference to matter

Where are we more likely to find a house 4 BR for around 170-200k? not enough difference to matter

What is there to do for families? Sports do they have summer sport leagues ect? OC is superior on this count, the Oldham County Youth Soccer League one of the overall best anywhere. North Oldham Little League played in the LL world series this past year.

Church is important to me, plenty of churches with good youth groups? I can recommend several, but the very best that I know of is St. Matthews Baptist in St. Matthews. A bit of a drive, but well worth it.

Easy to meet people? Kids accept the new kids in the school? not enough difference to matter


Public pools water parks? Parks? Oldham has a great public pool, Y with indoor, and many great parks.
Would also like to live close to shopping, grocery wal-mart ect. OC has Kroger, Wal-Mart, a great little IGA, and is close to Meijer, Costco, Sam's Club. Every level of shopping from snobby snob to flea markets in OC.

I have lived in a small town in Ohio most of my life and am very anxious about this move any help would be much appreciated!!!
I moved from Crescent Hill to Oldham County in 2002. Absolutely wonderful place to raise a kid. Floyds Knobs is the best alternative and very competitive compared to Oldham County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Ormond Beach Fl
161 posts, read 379,566 times
Reputation: 163
Is Floyds Knobs a wise choice with the current bridge fiasco though? Yet OC seems a bit of a commute to Algonquin Pkwy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 05:46 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,197 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks so much for he info...think I am going to have to come down and check out both areas. As far as OC goes which city offers most? Seems like Lagrange?? Just from reading. How long of a commute you think from OC to Algonquin Pkwy?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 02:48 PM
 
6,980 posts, read 15,108,429 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGirl78 View Post
Is Floyds Knobs a wise choice with the current bridge fiasco though? Yet OC seems a bit of a commute to Algonquin Pkwy.
The bridge will be fixed by March...so that should not factor into a decision too much since in the long run, it will save the OP's husband lots of travel time and gas should they live in Floyds Knobs if the commute will be to West Louisville. I find it quite sad that so many people move to metro Louisville without looking at the actual city. Highlands, St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, even Germantown, Audubon Park, and Beechmont are all wonderful urban areas in which to raise a kid and much more convenient to everything, while reducing sprawl and exposing one to more diversity of a city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 02:51 PM
 
6,980 posts, read 15,108,429 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio35 View Post
Thanks so much for he info...think I am going to have to come down and check out both areas. As far as OC goes which city offers most? Seems like Lagrange?? Just from reading. How long of a commute you think from OC to Algonquin Pkwy?
From La Grange....40 minutes on a good day. Could be an hour or more with traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
 
Location: downtown phoenix
1,201 posts, read 1,663,428 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
the bridge will be fixed by march...so that should not factor into a decision too much since in the long run, it will save the op's husband lots of travel time and gas should they live in floyds knobs if the commute will be to west louisville. I find it quite sad that so many people move to metro louisville without looking at the actual city. Highlands, st. Matthews, crescent hill, even germantown, audubon park, and beechmont are all wonderful urban areas in which to raise a kid and much more convenient to everything, while reducing sprawl and exposing one to more diversity of a city.
+100
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 13,513,697 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
The bridge will be fixed by March...so that should not factor into a decision too much since in the long run, it will save the OP's husband lots of travel time and gas should they live in Floyds Knobs if the commute will be to West Louisville. I find it quite sad that so many people move to metro Louisville without looking at the actual city. Highlands, St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, even Germantown, Audubon Park, and Beechmont are all wonderful urban areas in which to raise a kid and much more convenient to everything, while reducing sprawl and exposing one to more diversity of a city.
STX, you just don't get it. If 1000 people come to your house with a baseball bat and hit you over the head, do you think you might finally understand that NO incoming family can risk putting their children into the 2/3 of Louisville schools that are failures with the hope they can get their child into one of the schools you continue to say are so good. My surgeon said that he felt my back surgery would have a 70% chance of success, but the 30% chance of failure was too great because of the damage such a failure might cause so I didn't have the surgery as much as it hurts not.

If you had children and you were moving to Louisville, you probably would love them enough to know the risks are just too great for the once in a lifetime opportunity to be educated correctly. I have absolutely no qualms about directing no-children households to your favorite parts of Louisville, but unless they have the money or religious fervor to send a child to a private/parochial school, they must know the odds of a politically directed school assignment rather than a child's needs based assignment.

Regarding diversity, Oldham County Schools are extremely diverse. Even more so than the typical Jefferson County School. In OC, you will find children of nearly every region of the world. You will find children of every socio-economic level from super-rich to super-poor. There is no political assignment in OC, but rather distinct geographical areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Ormond Beach Fl
161 posts, read 379,566 times
Reputation: 163
For Louisvilles sake, I hope the bridge will be done by March..but...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 AM
 
6,980 posts, read 15,108,429 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
STX, you just don't get it. If 1000 people come to your house with a baseball bat and hit you over the head, do you think you might finally understand that NO incoming family can risk putting their children into the 2/3 of Louisville schools that are failures with the hope they can get their child into one of the schools you continue to say are so good. My surgeon said that he felt my back surgery would have a 70% chance of success, but the 30% chance of failure was too great because of the damage such a failure might cause so I didn't have the surgery as much as it hurts not.

If you had children and you were moving to Louisville, you probably would love them enough to know the risks are just too great for the once in a lifetime opportunity to be educated correctly. I have absolutely no qualms about directing no-children households to your favorite parts of Louisville, but unless they have the money or religious fervor to send a child to a private/parochial school, they must know the odds of a politically directed school assignment rather than a child's needs based assignment.

Regarding diversity, Oldham County Schools are extremely diverse. Even more so than the typical Jefferson County School. In OC, you will find children of nearly every region of the world. You will find children of every socio-economic level from super-rich to super-poor. There is no political assignment in OC, but rather distinct geographical areas.
This is strictly your opinion. The facts show JCPS has some great schools and they are not as hard to get into as you say. There are many top local businessmen, doctors' and lawyers' children, and many more who attend JCPS. Many graduate JCPS and go on to all sorts of successful careers. Most all the well know famous people from the metro Louisville area attended one of the "big 4" Catholic Highs or JCPS. JCPS is growing fast, and now has over 110,000 students. The parents of all those students cannot be crazy. Should the doctors, businessmen/women and lawyers who enroll their children in JCPS be beat with a baseball bat 1000 times as well?

So, while I respect your anecdotal stories and your personal experience with your children, I believe telling someone not to look at Louisville because of schools is just plain wrong. Sure, JCPS has some major problems, and a few of its schools are among the worst performing in the state and even nation, but there are also some that are among the very best. Such is the nature of one of the TOP 25 largest school districts in the US. Comparing it to Oldham is really apples and oranges.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top