U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,357 times

Advertisements

I am married with 3 daughters (11th grade, 7th grade and 3rd grade). We currently live in Northern Virginia (just outside DC). My husband just took a job where he will telecommute and has been given the OK to move wherever we want (well in the continental US). We are sick of the traffic and the cost of living here so we are jumping at the chance to get out. We are looking for somewhere with a lower cost of living (we will have about $350k-$400k to spend on a home), is very family friendly, neighborhoods where kids play outside (here everyone is in daycare because it's so expensive that most have to have 2 incomes). We are an inter-racial couple. My husband's heritage is Indian (although he grew up in the Mid-West) and I'm caucasian. Some places this is much more of an issue that others. Obviously in the DC area that has not been an issue. I homeschool the girls but I would like to live somewhere with a good school system in case our homeschooling plans change and because good schools are better for housing values etc.

What do you think we'd like about Louisville? What do you think we wouldn't? I'd love any honest opinions pro and con. It's great that have the option to choose wherever we want but I'm starting to think too many options are just as bad as no options.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM

161 posts, read 379,802 times
As far as the inter-racial aspect, that will not be a problem in Louisville. The school system sucks unless you go private schooling. I just moved away from the Louisville area after almost 30 years and honestly I don't know what the draw is for people to move there unless it is for a fab Ford or UPS job. I am not trying to slander it...I just don't get it. I guess it depends on what your looking for.
What are you looking for? Arts scene, family entertainment, nature, night clubs?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM

25,606 posts, read 37,362,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsforus View Post
I am married with 3 daughters (11th grade, 7th grade and 3rd grade). We currently live in Northern Virginia (just outside DC). My husband just took a job where he will telecommute and has been given the OK to move wherever we want (well in the continental US). We are sick of the traffic and the cost of living here so we are jumping at the chance to get out. We are looking for somewhere with a lower cost of living (we will have about $350k-$400k to spend on a home), is very family friendly, neighborhoods where kids play outside (here everyone is in daycare because it's so expensive that most have to have 2 incomes). We are an inter-racial couple. My husband's heritage is Indian (although he grew up in the Mid-West) and I'm caucasian. Some places this is much more of an issue that others. Obviously in the DC area that has not been an issue. I homeschool the girls but I would like to live somewhere with a good school system in case our homeschooling plans change and because good schools are better for housing values etc.

What do you think we'd like about Louisville? What do you think we wouldn't? I'd love any honest opinions pro and con. It's great that have the option to choose wherever we want but I'm starting to think too many options are just as bad as no options.

Thank you
I lived in Alexandria from 2004-2010.

The major differences between NoVA and Louisville.

- Cost of living. Nearly everything is much cheaper out here than in Northern VA.
- Less racial diversity. Louisville is mostly white and black but there are some immigrant populations sprinkled throughout the city mostly in South Louisville and Okolona.
- Traffic. There is a mess with the Ohio River bridge situation but otherwise traffic here in town is nowhere near as bad as NoVA.
- Restaurant scene. Much more of a local business movement here results in some great local eateries in contrast to NoVA which is mostly chains. The chain selection is even better than NoVA.

Now pro.
- Louisville is pretty tolerant of interracial dating. I see a lot of mixed and havent seen anyone take issue with it.
- Noticeably much friendlier than NoVA. Not full mode Southern Hospitality but people here are usually polite.
- Great park system that the kids will love.
- One of the safer big cities in the country.

Cons
- Kentucky public schools absolutely suck when put up against NoVA schools. Most would anyway against NoVA but KY ranks poorly in education on most scales.
- Some of the suburbs are less racially accepting than others (Bullitt County and Brandenburg are places that non-white soliders at nearby Ft. Knox are told to stay away from by their commanding officers.)
- Less sunshine than NoVA gets and more prone to Ice storms.
- Job market isn't great.

Would I advise you to move here? Now just for thought, I'm actually considering moving back to metro DC because of the last two cons I listed, but my situation is obviously different being a 23 yr old soon to be college grad. But I think you could be happy here. However I think there could be better places for you. Nashville comes to mind for some reason.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 PM

442 posts, read 484,687 times
Personally, I'd recommend the Cleveland metro. It's like a larger Louisville with less traffic. Still lots of "weird" areas, gritty urbanity, yet pockets of quaint suburbanism as well. It's cheap and offers a more tolerant and diversity-friendly population than Louisville. Not that Louisville is bad or anything, I just feel like metro Cleveland is a steal right now. It's also redeveloping much faster than Louisville.

Public schools will be much better in suburban Cleveland, Indy, or Columbus as well.

If you go for Louisville, look at Oldham County. If not, Carmel, IN, Solon/Twinsburg, Ohio and Dublin, Ohio are all excellent from what I know. I've not been to Dublin personally but I know they send a lot of kids to Ivy Leagues and a bunch of my friends from college came from very well to do families in the area and spoke nothing but highly of it.

Another place in the region to check out: Oakwood, Ohio (GORGEOUS suburb of Dayton) if you don't like the cold and snow. Perhaps suburban Pittsburgh (not bad traffic) or Chicago (bad traffic but offers commuter rail to many communities)?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:00 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,518,428 times
Ding, Ding, Ding! Oldham County is your dream. Outstanding schools, 350k will buy 3500 plus sq feet on an acre, 45/75 minutes to two of the best airports in the US, 30 minutes to pro-baseball, just off Broadway quality shows, low low crime and diversity equal to any metropolitan city in the world. Diversity is not just black/white in OC. Diversity is genuine everybody/everywhere.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:25 AM

25,606 posts, read 37,362,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Ding, Ding, Ding! Oldham County is your dream. Outstanding schools, 350k will buy 3500 plus sq feet on an acre, 45/75 minutes to two of the best airports in the US, 30 minutes to pro-baseball, just off Broadway quality shows, low low crime and diversity equal to any metropolitan city in the world. Diversity is not just black/white in OC. Diversity is genuine everybody/everywhere.
Are you sure about that diversity?

Oldham County, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The racial makeup of the county was 93.62% White, 4.21% Black or African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.44% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.55% from other races, and 0.97% from two or more races. 1.30% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
To a former Virginian not exactly "diverse" to me. Don't know what jurisdiction they are coming from but to give you an idea of the type of diversity they are probably used to.

Arlington County, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In 2010, the racial makeup of the county was 64.04% non-Hispanic White, 8.23% Non-Hispanic Black or African American, 0.20% Non-Hispanic Native American, 9.52% Non-Hispanic Asian (2.0% Indian, 1.7% Chinese, 1.1% Filipino, 0.9% Korean, 0.7% Vietnamese, 2.7% Other Asian), 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.29% Non-Hispanic other races, 2.55% Non-Hispanics reporting two or more race. Hispanics or Latinos made up 15.11% of the county's population.[35] 28% of Arlington residents were foreign-born as of 2000.
On the schools, let's not forget the nationally recognized Oldham County School system is still in the Commonwealth of Kentucky which does not fare well nationally in K-12 education.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:53 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,518,428 times
Yelp, I am certain about the diversity! If intermingling means anything. The churches are diverse, the clubs are diverse, the chambers are diverse, the courts are diverse, and so are our communities. The population numbers may not be "balanced" as your numbers might show, but if you want to see diversity in action as intended, come to Oldham County.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 20,334,752 times
I deliver to Louisville several times/week. I'd definitely consider moving here if that was in the cards for my wife & I. However, I'd also seriously consider Cincinnati, Indianapolis or Nashville, as well. Best of luck!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 PM

442 posts, read 484,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Homiej, what is your point?
"The churches are diverse"... what if you don't go to church? Diverse would include more than churches.

Also, 94% white (which is predominantly English-Irish and German, little to no ethnic diversity outside of the British Isles and German descent which have largely been diluted to general "American") with a small middle class black contingent don't really scream "diverse".

Oldham County is nice, but not diverse. NOVA puts it to shame, heavily, in terms of diversity.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:16 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,043,548 times
We live in Prospect and love it. My Indian sleep doctor lives down the street, a Korean family lives across the street but it is mainly caucasian here (and everyone gets along just fine).

Here are a few things in Propspect that are in your range):

Semonin Realtors

Semonin Realtors

A townhome in Norton Commons (charming planned community with businesses, restaurants, shops, farmer's market, special events, etc.)

Semonin Realtors

Here is a very nice house in the Bridgepoint subdivision in Prospect - a little out of your price range, but you might be able to offer within your price range - homes are rarely selling for exactly what they are listed for:

http://www.semonin.com/PropertyDetai...RecordType=180
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area