U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,139 times

Advertisements

We moved to Louisville in September and my wife and I decided that we'd like to build a house. We've called several builders and have been frustrated by the perceived lack of interest (mostly builders only interested in selling their oversize houses on undersized lots).

Do you have any suggestions on who we should contact?

The plan we have is a 1.5 story Federal-style brick home with around 2,100 finished square feet and at least a 2-car garage with a storage room above. If plausible, we would like an unfinished basement, but this isn't a necessity. We're not rich, so the finishing details wouldn't be opulent, but they would include crown molding on the whole main level as well as around 900 square feet of wood floors.

Thanks for your input as we plan on making Louisville our permanent home!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,521,470 times
Clay Jones, Jones Group Builders, 502-241-9920 Walt Schumm, 502-222-5212 are both worth your time to interview.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM

970 posts, read 1,698,865 times
Just a question...............can builders "afford" to be choosy these days? (Not just talking about Louisville.)

Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM

Apparently some don't need the work.

My wife spoke to one today who told her it was impossible to build what we were asking within $100,000 of what we are budgeting, especially considering "how he builds" houses (the implication was that our house would be lower quality than what he builds). The irony was that his website focused quite heavily on low-end and moderate (130 to 190k) houses...so we wondered how our request could be below his quality level.

We initially contacted him because we approached one of the cookie-cutter developers about building a couple of their floor plans on our own property. He said he didn't do that, but that he worked with the "custom" builder to build their plans outside of the spec communities.

We both really like the Federal floor plan we have selected and think it would be much easier and cheaper to build than many more modern designs. It's literally a rectangle with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room.

Who knows...?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 PM

The real problem we are trying to avoid is overbuilding for the area in which we want to live. I work on the west end of Louisville, so Oldham County is out of the question.

We also are being realistic in that we will probably have to sell the house sometime in the future and we don't view real estate as an investment at this point in our lives. We'd just like to feel we won't be under water in 10 years when I will hopefully be ready to move up from my current management level.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,521,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skenderbej View Post
The real problem we are trying to avoid is overbuilding for the area in which we want to live. I work on the west end of Louisville, so Oldham County is out of the question.

We also are being realistic in that we will probably have to sell the house sometime in the future and we don't view real estate as an investment at this point in our lives. We'd just like to feel we won't be under water in 10 years when I will hopefully be ready to move up from my current management level.
Well, you are going to have some real issues with building towards the western side of Louisville.

Not certain of where you will work, many people say west end meaning the Riverport area, others in Rubbertown, etc. If in Northwest Louisville, I would definitely look on the Indiana side especially in the Floyds Knobs area. Anything west and below I-264 (Watterson Xway) and Dixie Hwy (US 31 W), as far as new building, I would have to consider NE Meade County.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 PM

30 posts, read 46,011 times
If it was me i would buy a older home that has had some updating to it.Building a house that cheap would mean cutting corners and stuff like spacing and size of the floor joist can be bad.My dads house was built in the 80s and the house shakes when you walk on the floor,The floor joist do pass code but code is just the minimum to keep it safe.My aunts house they tiled the floor after putting the dish washer in and she didn't know that tell the dish washer went out.So i had to bust up the tile or raise the counter top to get it out,Being the counter top was stone i busted up the tile it was safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area