Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,708 times

Advertisements

Hi All~

Long story short..I'm a Florida native but moved to San Diego when I was 11. Married a Frenchman and we now have 3 kids in high school, middle, and elementary..

Question is: After all my years living on a coast and surrounded by sun and a faster paced lifestyle, would you see it as a major cultural shock to move to Louisville? My husband has a job opportunity there and the prospect of a slower lifestyle and "real" people appeals to us both..but is also scary..

My priorities are: good schools, good/friendly family oriented neighborhoods with some land but not too rural.

Our price range for a home is $450,000- $600,000.

Your input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaL View Post
Hi All~

Long story short..I'm a Florida native but moved to San Diego when I was 11. Married a Frenchman and we now have 3 kids in high school, middle, and elementary..

Question is: After all my years living on a coast and surrounded by sun and a faster paced lifestyle, would you see it as a major cultural shock to move to Louisville? My husband has a job opportunity there and the prospect of a slower lifestyle and "real" people appeals to us both..but is also scary..

My priorities are: good schools, good/friendly family oriented neighborhoods with some land but not too rural.

Our price range for a home is $450,000- $600,000.

Your input is greatly appreciated!
Moving to Louisville? I'm sorry.

I'm a Kentucky native now living in California, actually--the San Francisco Bay Area. If I were moving back to the Southeast, I'd consider North Carolina and parts of Virginia and the Carolinas first.

Having said that, Louisville will provide the slower lifestyle and "real" people you and hubby are looking for. (To be honest, the people can be "real" rude, alright.) Anyway, given your priorities, look into:
  • Eastern Jefferson County, or "East End": arc from Bardstown Road to US 42 outside the Watterson Expressway. This is all part of Jefferson County Public Schools which have nearly 100,000 students, so there are a lot of schools to consider.

Fern Creek, Buechel, and Jeffersontown are real hit and miss in the quality of their neighborhood schools. You might want to stick to the part of this arc north of I-64 for the best access to the best schools on the East End and in all of JCPS.
  • Oldham County, the best county school system in Kentucky
  • Hardin County, but try to stick to the Elizabethtown area considering the quality of the schools
  • New Albany-Floyd County, (probably) one of the best systems in Indiana
Oldham and Hardin would provide the best opportunities to buy a spacious house with some land. You can accomplish buying a 3BR/2BA in an established middle-class neighborhood on 1.5 acres and close to an interstate for under $250K. Add a few extra rooms and or acres and this can still be accomplished for $400K. Property taxes are usually much cheaper on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River rather than Indiana.

Don't come to Kentucky and make the mistake of overestimating or overstating what you think you can or should pay. Our realtors will see those red, cursive lipstick print license plates and eat that right up! (Tomocox probably wouldn't, though. ) I'll take it a step further and strongly advise you to stick to ONLY the three areas I recommended; Kentucky public schools are, for the most part, total crap while Indiana's are usually somewhat an improvement.

By the way, I'm new to SFBA and still exploring the area. I'm seeing this as a place to get my career underway before I move on somewhere else. I like it here and it is a spectacularly beautiful place to live, but the some of the people really lack warmth and are not exactly down-to-Earth. I'm actually considering areas along the Central Coast or North Orange County, San Diego, or Sacramento. I get the impression you're clamoring to leave SD.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 01-31-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 PM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I totally disagree with EE, I think Louisville is one of the friendliest citiest out there, and love it. And it does offer a slower pace compared to many other cities
He did give you excellent advise about the areas of Louisvlle that you would probably like the best. Jefferson County does have some issues with it's public schools. Real Estate in Louisville is dramatically less than what you find on the West Coast, you could spend less on your house and maybe send the kids to private schools - there are some very good ones in Louisville.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 AM

4 posts, read 10,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Moving to Louisville? I'm sorry.....Oh nooooooo! Why?

I'm new to SFBA and still exploring the area. I'm seeing this as a place to get my career underway before I move on somewhere else. I like it here and it is a spectacularly beautiful place to live, but the some of the people really lack warmth and are not exactly down-to-Earth. I'm actually considering areas along the Central Coast or North Orange County, San Diego, or Sacramento. I get the impression you're clamoring to leave SD.

We lived in the Bay Area (SF & Walnut Creek to be exact)..for 5 years. We were there for the same reason as a you. My husband is in finance and SF offered more opportunity than SD..
That being said, if you are married with children, it is/was VERY expensive to buy a decent house..
San Luis Obispo is a nice town on the central coast. I don't know about Sacramento and I would avoid Orange County...for it's fakeness and "keeping up with the Joneses" lifestyle..but it is beautiful..
We love San Diego but the truth is; jobs in certain industries can be hard to come by and it is expensive to live here on one salary..The schools also leave a lot to be desired..I suspect you don't have to worry about that yet though if you're just starting out...Good luck!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaL View Post
We lived in the Bay Area (SF & Walnut Creek to be exact)..for 5 years. We were there for the same reason as a you. My husband is in finance and SF offered more opportunity than SD..
That being said, if you are married with children, it is/was VERY expensive to buy a decent house..
San Luis Obispo is a nice town on the central coast. I don't know about Sacramento and I would avoid Orange County...for it's fakeness and "keeping up with the Joneses" lifestyle..but it is beautiful..
We love San Diego but the truth is; jobs in certain industries can be hard to come by and it is expensive to live here on one salary..The schools also leave a lot to be desired..I suspect you don't have to worry about that yet though if you're just starting out...Good luck!
I wouldn't mind what EE says. He is a persistent negative troll against Louisville. I do not think you will find Louisville to be as "slow" as you might think. It's a small town but it is also a "big city." There is plenty to see and do, and it is much more family friendly. There may be a culture shock as far as a few people's accents, etc, but the people will welcome you with open arms as long as you are not the type that acts "snotty" or with the attitude that "where we are from on the coast is better."

I think it would be a good move for you. Overall, many other areas in the southeast have been overhyped, and thus, all the things that you think you escape the coasts for, you find in those cities. I have lived in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Orlando in the SE, and I can tell you the hype in those cities is not worth the traffic, sprawl, and growing crime.

Best of luck!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:

I'm a Kentucky native now living in California, actually--the San Francisco Bay Area. If I were moving back to the Southeast, I'd consider North Carolina and parts of Virginia and the Carolinas first.

Having said that, Louisville will provide the slower lifestyle and "real" people you and hubby are looking for. (To be honest, the people can be "real" rude, alright.) Anyway, given your priorities, look into:
  • Eastern Jefferson County, or "East End": arc from Bardstown Road to US 42 outside the Watterson Expressway. This is all part of Jefferson County Public Schools which have nearly 100,000 students, so there are a lot of schools to consider.

Fern Creek, Buechel, and Jeffersontown are real hit and miss in the quality of their neighborhood schools. You might want to stick to the part of this arc north of I-64 for the best access to the best schools on the East End and in all of JCPS.
  • Hardin County, but try to stick to the Elizabethtown area considering the quality of the schools
Oldham and Hardin would provide the best opportunities to buy a spacious house with some land. You can accomplish buying a 3BR/2BA in an established middle-class neighborhood on 1.5 acres and close to an interstate for under $250K. Add a few extra rooms and or acres and this can still be accomplished for $400K. Property taxes are usually much cheaper on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River rather than Indiana.

Don't come to Kentucky and make the mistake of overestimating or overstating what you think you can or should pay. Our realtors will see those red, cursive lipstick print license plates and eat that right up! (Tomocox probably wouldn't, though. ) I'll take it a step further and strongly advise you to stick to ONLY the three areas I recommended; Kentucky public schools are, for the most part, total crap while Indiana's are usually somewhat an improvement.

By the way, I'm new to SFBA and still exploring the area. I'm seeing this as a place to get my career underway before I move on somewhere else. I like it here and it is a spectacularly beautiful place to live, but the some of the people really lack warmth and are not exactly down-to-Earth. I'm actually considering areas along the Central Coast or North Orange County, San Diego, or Sacramento. I get the impression you're clamoring to leave SD.
Agree with EE's post but will add my knowledge on Hardin County being a former resident. It is quite a hike to Downtown Louisville. I lived in the Vine Grove part of the county and it was a 45 min drive to my office at I-264 and Preston. If he is working downtown add on another 10.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Well let's check Eclectic's points:

Louisville will definitely have a slower lifestyle. Yes, there can be "rude" people here, but odds are they are transplants.

As a newcomer, you will be playing educational lottery for your children if you decided to land in Jefferson County. While rankings show that JCPS has three of the best high schools in the state, they are nearly impossible for a newcomer to get into, and 5 of the states lowest ranked high schools. All three of the Oldham high schools are top 15.

You can buy 4000-4500 square feet on 1 acre within 20 minutes of downtown at exit 14.

While I genuinely appreciate the compliment regarding Realtors, there are many good ones too. A few, like me, are licensed to serve you in Kentucky and Indiana.

Quote:

Last edited by tomocox; 02-01-2012 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 07:12 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Well, with the exception of the slightly downward push, how can I not praise Eclectic's quote?

Quote:

Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 AM

22 posts, read 43,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

Yes, there can be "rude" people here, but odds are they are transplants.

^agreed! I have traveled all over the US as well as Europe and hands down, Kentucky is one of the friendliest places on earth! Most of the pretentiousjerks that I've encountered around town were always 'transplants' or 'the rich kids' that were just naturally spoiled and had terrible social manners, taught from birth to judge and discriminate.

Living suggestions:
Take a look at Shelby county (specifically the Simpsonville area). I grew up in that town and it was very down to earth and friendly. The schools are getting better in the area but I almost agree with other posters that you should probably look at private schooling. Public schools, no matter where you are from, are not always the pick of the litter in terms of quality education.

Also, someone else has suggested, Oldham county. I actually played lacrosse for that county in HS (Kentucky law: if your county does not provide a sport then you are allowed to travel and join the near by county that does). Luckily for me the neighboring county had the title for state champs 7 years in the running!! If your kiddos are athletic at all, move to oldham county! Great schools, great athletic programs and beautiful real estate!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
SD to Lousville...yes, major culture shock. Not saying good or bad, but definitely a culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area