Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 17,418 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Virginia and I have been trying to convince him to relocate to anywhere basically - I don't like Virginia very much except for the Warrenton area

Right now we are looking into moving to the Fort Knox area. Elizabethtown, Vine Grove, etc. Here is what I am looking for: At least one acre of land, peaceful setting but still close to shopping, dining etc, nice people and maybe a more diverse community. My husband is black, I am white, he cares less about racial aspects than I do, and I hate to bring up the race issue. But I am looking for a place where I can raise my kids in a safe and diverse environment. I don't expect a bunch of racist people in KY, otherwise I wouldn't think about moving there. What I do expect is southern hospitality, making new friends and finding my dream home.

My question is, what are the better and more diverse areas around Fort Knox? Where are the expensive areas around Fort Knox? Also, I am a nurse and I was wondering if it would be easy for me to find a job?

Thanks for all y'all's answers - just practicing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 04:15 PM

7 posts, read 53,815 times
Default Fort Knox area

This is my first time here and I am learning how to respond and post a comment.
I am an active duty soldier stationed in Louisiana and getting ready to go back home to Kentucky.
From my experience in the army I believe you will be able to find a job on post as a nurse.
On the issue of diversity, it is normal to be concerned about the area in which you live with your family. It would hurt me to hear my kids come back from school or the park to tell me that someone disrespected or discriminated against them because of the color of their skin or race whatever their race may be.
There are racists and ignorant people in every city and town and as an individual, it would be a great idea to find and figure out where you want to spend your time and money. When someone disrespects you or your family due to your skin color or race, speak up because it is not okay. Not saying anything to them encourages them to continue.
Louisville is a great place to live, from the 40206 - 40218 areas have been great.
When do you plan on relocating to KY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana32 View Post
My husband and I live in Virginia and I have been trying to convince him to relocate to anywhere basically - I don't like Virginia very much except for the Warrenton area

Right now we are looking into moving to the Fort Knox area. Elizabethtown, Vine Grove, etc. Here is what I am looking for: At least one acre of land, peaceful setting but still close to shopping, dining etc, nice people and maybe a more diverse community. My husband is black, I am white, he cares less about racial aspects than I do, and I hate to bring up the race issue. But I am looking for a place where I can raise my kids in a safe and diverse environment. I don't expect a bunch of racist people in KY, otherwise I wouldn't think about moving there. What I do expect is southern hospitality, making new friends and finding my dream home.

My question is, what are the better and more diverse areas around Fort Knox? Where are the expensive areas around Fort Knox? Also, I am a nurse and I was wondering if it would be easy for me to find a job?

Old 11-25-2007, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 53,815 times
I believe you will be able to find a job on post as a nurse. The army has been short of nurses for the entire time I have been stationed here in Fort Polk and I hear that it is nationwide. Give it a shot.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 21,056 times
Arrow Vine Grove is the way to go;o)

In case you are still interested in moving to the Ft. Knox area, Vine Grove sounds like the right place for you. Fortk Knox and the surrounding areas a growing to accomodate the changes that go along with BRAC ( Base realignment and closure) so I don't see a problem jobwise for you. Vine Grove is about 15 minutes from post and offers affordable homes in a rather rural setting, most of them on big lots and close to post and Radcliff. Elizabethtown is about 20-30 minutes away, but it would be harder to find a 1 acre lot, and in Vine Grove you will get more bang for your buck. Please feel free to visit my website [URL="http://www.MoveWithMartina.com"]Move with Martina[/URL] to browse the local housing market and get some good area info as well. And of course if you have any in depth questions feel free to give me a call.
Warm Greetings,
Martina

Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,978,713 times
Default Homes near Ft Knox

Quote:

Here is a nice neighborhood where I knew a lot of military lived and really enjoyed the unique ammenities. Otter Creek park is only 10 minutes away and it's only about a fifteen minute drive to Ft Knox. Brandenburg is growing quite a bit and is much closer to Louisville than E'town. Doe Valley "Official Website"

Here is a map/sat overview:
doe valley, brandenburg, ky - Google Maps

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,003,297 times
Oh my gosh how could I forget Doe Valley!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:38 AM

26,678 posts, read 41,525,502 times
Quote:

Dana, i also live in Virginia (Alexandria City) and my family is being relocated via BRAC to Ft. Knox next year and we arent exactly in tears about having to leave Northern Virginia (i'm quite happy about it actually.) My mother has taken a liking to Radcliff which is right outside one of the gates for Ft Knox, while i've "fallen in love" with Louisville. I think Elizabethtown is worth consideration, also.

On racism, I'm African-American and while in Virginia I've lived in Alexandria for about 5 years and lived in Hampton for over 12 years. Now of those two cities, Alexandria would seem to have no bigots b/c of all the diversity of the races (a lot more than Hampton), right? Simply not the case. I've had many more racist experiences in 5 years in Alexandria than 12 years in Hampton. I can truly attest that racists and bigots come in every color living in Alexandria and racism can be found in rich areas too. Now racism in Kentucky, I'm gonna give KY the benefit of the doubt because it does not have a massive reputation of racism like Alabama or Mississippi. Let's just say that racism is not one of my biggest worries on moving to KY and i'm gonna give KY every fair chance.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 PM

13 posts, read 60,532 times
alanboy395,

i know it's been awhile since you posted here, but i looking into what everyone had to say about fort knox. i'm in the army and my mos is 42a. i'm currently stationed in hawaii and scheduled to pcs to korea febb 09. i'm on tap to return to ft lewis, wa, but i'm reconsidering my options. i spoke with a friend of mine (he's a cw2 in the hr field) and he mentioned ft knox as an option due to hrc moving there. why do you think ft knox would be a good option? are you in the hr field as well? another friend of mine just relocated from ft knox and went to ft lewis. i don't recall him saying anything bad about knox, but i also don't recall him saying anything particularly good about it either. i'm also considering retire soon, maybe 20 yrs, maybe 22 yrs. if hrc moves to ft knox, jobs should be plentiful, right? any advice you have would be very appreciated.

justde87

Old 11-21-2008, 04:46 AM

26,678 posts, read 41,525,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justde87 View Post
alanboy395,

i know it's been awhile since you posted here, but i looking into what everyone had to say about fort knox. i'm in the army and my mos is 42a. i'm currently stationed in hawaii and scheduled to pcs to korea febb 09. i'm on tap to return to ft lewis, wa, but i'm reconsidering my options. i spoke with a friend of mine (he's a cw2 in the hr field) and he mentioned ft knox as an option due to hrc moving there. why do you think ft knox would be a good option? are you in the hr field as well? another friend of mine just relocated from ft knox and went to ft lewis. i don't recall him saying anything bad about knox, but i also don't recall him saying anything particularly good about it either. i'm also considering retire soon, maybe 20 yrs, maybe 22 yrs. if hrc moves to ft knox, jobs should be plentiful, right? any advice you have would be very appreciated.

justde87
I think Ft. Knox is a good option because of the potential of the area. Actually it is my mother who is in HR for DOD in Virginia and i'm a student who willl likely try to finish college in that area. The job market should pick up with all the people coming from DC metro and elsewhere for BRAC. The COL is a midget compared to the DC area. Louisville is within an hour of Knox if you need the feel of a major city. I'm more focused on Elizabethtown b/c when i was there it felt like i was in a better kept edition of my hometown of Hampton, VA which was a military town. If you can, take a visit out to KY. I did and i am very impressed.

To sum it up, I think the best days are ahead for Ft Knox and surrounding area.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:19 AM

34 posts, read 143,748 times
There are several developments off of New Glendale Road, south of E-town that offer 1 acre lots. We live there and it is very peaceful. My commute to post takes 40 minutes and its worth it to live in such a relaxing, quiet part of the county. We really like it here. My parents are planning on retiring down here too, since the cost of living is much lower than back east. Its also only a 10 minute drive to shopping in E-town.
Glendale is nearby and they have antique shops and two nice restaurants.The only downfall is that if you want a quiet area with acreage you will be outside of most of the ride-share routes from TACK. There is a pilot program that the Ft Knox Transportation office is coordinating. It works well if you live near other workers who commute to post around the same time as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area