Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:03 PM

205 posts, read 585,625 times

Advertisements

One of the mileposts of my life was when I grew tall enough to ride the Turnpike at Fountaine Ferry

The Hall of Mirrors, whatever it was called..was it Hilarity Hall?

Angel Slide and Devil Slide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 05:49 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,154,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
The one on Dixie was at K-Mart plaza and ended up being a movie theater and then was tore down I think and a Steak and Shake was eventually built.
Actually, the movie theater was called the Dixie 4, and it was formerly where the Factory Card Outlet is now. The building the theatre was in was torn down and FCO building is relatively new. Steak & Shake is where Po' Folks used to be....if memory serves....

I saw a LOT of movie at the D4 in my time; my dad took me to see Star Wars when it came out--I was about 6?
Much later, I had my first ever date at the Dixie 4--a blind date; my friend and her boyfriend set me up with his friend; I think I was in 9th grade--I remember we saw The Golden Child with Eddie Murphy...thank God I thought the movie was funny because he never said a word the whole time--I guess he was sorry he agreed to a blind date...I personally like to think he was speechless over my beauty...... lol

Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,997,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Actually, the movie theater was called the Dixie 4, and it was formerly where the Factory Card Outlet is now. The building the theatre was in was torn down and FCO building is relatively new. Steak & Shake is where Po' Folks used to be....if memory serves....

I saw a LOT of movie at the D4 in my time; my dad took me to see Star Wars when it came out--I was about 6?
Much later, I had my first ever date at the Dixie 4--a blind date; my friend and her boyfriend set me up with his friend; I think I was in 9th grade--I remember we saw The Golden Child with Eddie Murphy...thank God I thought the movie was funny because he never said a word the whole time--I guess he was sorry he agreed to a blind date...I personally like to think he was speechless over my beauty...... lol
I remember seeing Return of the Jedi and having to leave because of a gas leak, and I also remember seeing Honey I shrunk the kids crying because I had just been broken up with (I was 15 )

Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I remember seeing Return of the Jedi and having to leave because of a gas leak, and I also remember seeing Honey I shrunk the kids crying because I had just been broken up with (I was 15 )
You know what? I saw Honey I Shrunk the Kids there and cried as well--but when the little ant died! (yep--i'm a great big sooky-la-la cry baby over stuff like that! )

Come to think of it, it was also the last time I'd eaten Snow Caps come to think of it! lol they don't have goodies like that here in Oz (that I've found...)

Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
You know what? I saw Honey I Shrunk the Kids there and cried as well--but when the little ant died! (yep--i'm a great big sooky-la-la cry baby over stuff like that! )

Come to think of it, it was also the last time I'd eaten Snow Caps come to think of it! lol they don't have goodies like that here in Oz (that I've found...)
tigerlily I was crying when I got there lol My mom made me go to get my mind off my "first love" break up lol

Old 02-13-2009, 02:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,773,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickp View Post
One of the mileposts of my life was when I grew tall enough to ride the Turnpike at Fountaine Ferry

The Hall of Mirrors, whatever it was called..was it Hilarity Hall?

Angel Slide and Devil Slide
I think this has been posted before, but in case you missed it.

Memories of Fontaine Ferry Park

We always called it "Fountain" Ferry, but I guess it was really pronounced "Fon-taine" Ferry. But I swear I never heard anyone call it anything but Fountain Ferry.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM

22 posts, read 46,868 times
The Dixie 4 on Dixie Hwy actually started out as the Alpha Theatre and for those of you old enough to remember the Sears Essential/Kmart used to be a drive in also. I cannot remember the name of it though. There was also a Frisch's on the corner where the Hooter's is now. Car hops and all!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM

I don't know if it has been mentioned or not but Service Merchandise was a good store too

Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhayes1976 View Post
The Dixie 4 on Dixie Hwy actually started out as the Alpha Theatre and for those of you old enough to remember the Sears Essential/Kmart used to be a drive in also. I cannot remember the name of it though. There was also a Frisch's on the corner where the Hooter's is now. Car hops and all!

haha!! My mom has told stories about Frisch's on that corner! She said that one time, she was about 14? 15? She was out with my grandparents and they decided to go to Frisch's. It was like a Friday or Saturday night, and she knew a lot of her friends would be there, and she was so embarassed to be seen out with her parents, that she ducked down and hid in the floor of the backseat the whole time they were eating!! lol
Actually the first time I heard that story was when my sister was about that age (13/14/15) and wanting to die of embarassment to be seen out with mom and dad--my mom would get all mad and tell my grandma what my sister was doing and what a brat she was being. My grandma put mom in her spot by telling me and my sister that story!
I laughed and laughed over that.
Now every time we go anywhere with my mom we threaten to hide in the floor of the backseat, except that it's really hard to do in a Hyundai Accent rather than a big old Ford Fairlane or whatever land barge they drove at the time! lol

Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it has been mentioned or not but Service Merchandise was a good store too
Hey Missy! SM wasa good store, and it was one of the places that everyone stampeded to get a job at during the holidays because you got an employee discount! It was hard to get on because there was a lot of competition for just a few customer service spots. I never got lucky; always applied too late!

But I used to love their catalogues. I'd spend hours pouring over them, circling items I wanted and calculating how much babysitting I'd have to do to get them if the parents didn't take the hint!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area