U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 AM

5 posts, read 9,415 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I want to start off by saying that I am a 25-y/o male, married, with a 4-month old daughter. I am possibly relocating to the Louisville area for work. I am an engineer and would be working in various hospitals throughout the city of Louisville. Now, to the questions:

I have been looking at a few apartments and two that stick out to me are Mallard Crossings (Highlands area?) and The Willows Apartments (Douglass Hills area). Now, I have been reading around and some people suggest The Highlands (which I'm not exactly sure where this area lies) an others suggest the east end of Louisville. Let me answer some questions to help describe my situation.

-Where you are working: I'll be working throughout various hospitals in the area, and possibly hospitals in nearby cities.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: I'm looking for a 2-BR apartment in the $750-1050 range. Obviously, the cheaper the better. However, I am willing to pay a little more for a nicer living space and nearby amenities (i.e. close stores, restaurants, shopping centers, etc.).
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: I'm accustomed to driving an hour to my location, so i'm not too concerned with commute time. However, I would like nearby shops within a 20 minute drive.
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? My daughter is only 4 months and I'll be living in KY for only approximately 2-3 years so this is a non-issue.
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? I would like to live in a suburban neighborhood/community but be near small city excitement.
-Community amenities important to you: Central air conditioning, washer and dry, fireplace a plus, if it snows heavily in KY then a garage to store my vehicle.
-Pie or cake? I'm a fat kid at heart so.... can I have both?

I would like to thank anyone in advance for their input. If anyone would like more details to better answer my questions, please ask and I'll happily tell
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 AM

9,868 posts, read 5,489,523 times
They are both located in really nice areas of the city.

Both received some good ratings in recent years from it's tenants - but Willows especially (but one person claims they are doctored so Idk)
Willows of Plainview Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Louisville apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Mallard Crossing Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Louisville apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Well, welcome to Louisville!
Louisville has some great parks and you will love the zoo too.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 AM

Hello Crazee Cat Lady,

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'lll most likely be moving in around May, therefore I have many questions to ask. Could you clarify what being "doctored " means? Also, do you know of any other areas to look into? Thank you for your input.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,661,890 times
mallard run is in st. matthews. the highlands is my favorite area of town but it does not have apartment complexes, more of just old victorian homes that have been converted into apts. craigslist will be your best source for these other than riding around the neighborhood looking for rentals. the highlands is basically bardstown rd from east broadway south to taylorsville rd. you should have no problem finding something nice in your price range.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM

By being "doctored" I meant that one person said he suspected the Office staff of the one apartment
of putting in fake reviews in order to boost the Apartment's rating scores. (Possibility I guess - scores for Apartments at sites like this are notoriously low usually, simply because a person is more likely
going to take the time to sit down and write a review if they have issues rather than if they are happy.
But not always.)

You are looking in the right area of Louisville for a safe, nice apartment.
Other parts? Well, besides ST. Mathews and Plainview you could try Anchorage, and Glenmary or Fern Creek.
(I would personally avoid most of West Jefferson County), Shively and Okalona.)

Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 AM

//www.city-data.com/forum/louis...ne-coming.html

You can read this to get a quick, but a little snarky version of what the different neighborhoods in Louisville are like, whoever wrote this certainly knows the different areas of Louisville well. (Only you know where you would fit into best.)

Old 02-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
mallard run is in st. matthews. the highlands is my favorite area of town but it does not have apartment complexes, more of just old victorian homes that have been converted into apts. craigslist will be your best source for these other than riding around the neighborhood looking for rentals. the highlands is basically bardstown rd from east broadway south to taylorsville rd. you should have no problem finding something nice in your price range.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I shall definitely look into this area. Mind if I ask why it is your favorite area? Also, I say that it is part of Jefferson County. I recall reading some negative things about that county, but can't remember what was being said. Any ideas?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/louis...ne-coming.html

You can read this to get a quick, but a little snarky version of what the different neighborhoods in Louisville are like, whoever wrote this certainly knows the different areas of Louisville well. (Only you know where you would fit into best.)
This article is hilariously insightful. However, I can't place myself nor my wife into any of those categories/cities.

I'm hoping I can make a trip over there soon enough to get a better feel for these areas.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,661,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wseda22 View Post
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I shall definitely look into this area. Mind if I ask why it is your favorite area? Also, I say that it is part of Jefferson County. I recall reading some negative things about that county, but can't remember what was being said. Any ideas?
evrything in the metro of louisville is in jefferson county, so it's very diverse from neighborhood to neighborhood. the reason everyone loves the highlands are many. great old architecture. ultra-cool walkable neighborhoods with many things to do. a big mix of open minded people with varying finances. cherokee park is a true gem of this city and walking distance. plus, it's a safe area with an urban feel and it's very covienently located and it has the some of the best retaurants and bars/shopping in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area