Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:45 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Louisville ranked 5th saddest city in America | WHAS11.com Louisville

Quote:
To come up with the rankings, the magazine looked at suicide rates, the percentage of households using antidepressants, the number of people who reported feeling blue most of the time and unemployment rates.
Any thoughts, Louisville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
agreed.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Lexington, by contrast, is the 22nd happiest.

I live halfway between #15 San Jose and #20 San Francisco. I would call these cities more optimistic and happy than Kentucky cities, sure. However, there is more anger and arrogance here exhibited by some, but that's the unfortunate nature of living in a huge American metropolis. (Louisville being a notable exception as it has some of the worst people I've ever met.)

I would argue that America is, as a whole, progressively becoming a sadder, angrier, more arrogant society. Whether you live in Louisville or San Francisco, Oldham County or Marin, I just shudder to think of what society will become with my generation.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Lexington, by contrast, is the 22nd happiest.

I live halfway between #15 San Jose and #20 San Francisco. I would call these cities more optimistic and happy than Kentucky cities, sure. However, there is more anger and arrogance here exhibited by some, but that's the unfortunate nature of living in a huge American metropolis. (Louisville being a notable exception as it has some of the worst people I've ever met.)

I would argue that America is, as a whole, progressively becoming a sadder, angrier, more arrogant society. Whether you live in Louisville or San Francisco, Oldham County or Marin, I just shudder to think of what society will become with my generation.
Though I rarely agree with any of these rankings from research tanks such as Men's Health, I agree with your bolded statement. It certainly correlates to the current economic conditions many have had to endure. People thought they had the rights to many things - a high paying job until they were ready to retire, a home that always increased in value, a college degree that guaranteed employment & good earnings, affordable healthcare, endless ways to stay afloat of the piles of debt they created, etc. - and have had the rug pulled out from underneath 'em.

Who knows what will happen down the line. Look out for your best interests is what I say

Old 12-01-2011, 02:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Though I rarely agree with any of these rankings from research tanks such as Men's Health, I agree with your bolded statement. It certainly correlates to the current economic conditions many have had to endure. People thought they had the rights to many things - a high paying job until they were ready to retire, a home that always increased in value, a college degree that guaranteed employment & good earnings, affordable healthcare, endless ways to stay afloat of the piles of debt they created, etc. - and have had the rug pulled out from underneath 'em.

Who knows what will happen down the line. Look out for your best interests is what I say
Many of my uncles moved to Cincinnati in the 1950s and without a high school degree were able to provide a house, car, and other things for their families, often before they were 25 years old.

Today even with a college degree it is diffecult to afford a house, car, and other things, and most Gen Yers leave college with enourmous amounts of debt.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Many of my uncles moved to Cincinnati in the 1950s and without a high school degree were able to provide a house, car, and other things for their families, often before they were 25 years old.

Today even with a college degree it is diffecult to afford a house, car, and other things, and most Gen Yers leave college with enourmous amounts of debt.
Yes, pretty much.

I'm a little ways removed from college. I know older folks give young people a hard time & accuse them of everything similar to each previous generation has before - lazy, no skills, slackers, etc.

I think quite a few, not all, are experiencing bleak circumstances and prospects so I can't help but feel some compassion for some of 'em. I'd like to see them get their lives underway and begin participating in the economy.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
The landscape of Louisville is sad. To paint the city one needs only one color; gray. It's drab and lifeless. Many streets are drab, abandoned commercial buildings, vacant lots with gravel or mud puddles and trash, sidewalks (if any) cracked, overgrown with weeds, pavement that needs repair. Many inhabited houses look one step above a trailer and some are only missing a sign out front that says Scheduled For Demolition. Cheap discount stores with parking lots full of trash. All these are signs of economic decline and lack of pride in the city. The better off streets are lined with commercial enterprises, boring structures merely built cheaply for business efficiency. The only walkable area is the Highlands, which is an exception to the drab and gray.
Just looking at the city makes one feel sad and feel blue.
What I've noticed among residents is a lack of enthusiasm for being alive. No gusto, no excitement...except for the Cards or Cats. Most existence is in daily routines, the same thing day after day. Finding an interesting stimulating conversation is rare.
The city is gray, the people are blue.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
Vivaldis,

I hope you are being honest in your opinion because I agree wholeheartedly. Couldn't have described it better! Everytime I go back there, it is depressing.

I will say this though............when I first moved there from the west coast, I was appalled at the amount of trash all over the city........esp. the Bardstown Rd. area. That did improve while I lived there.

I think the people who live there are, for the most part, one-dimensional.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:01 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Vivaldis,

I hope you are being honest in your opinion because I agree wholeheartedly. Couldn't have described it better! Everytime I go back there, it is depressing.

I will say this though............when I first moved there from the west coast, I was appalled at the amount of trash all over the city........esp. the Bardstown Rd. area. That did improve while I lived there.

I think the people who live there are, for the most part, one-dimensional.
Yes, it's an honest opinion.
In an afterthought I should have also used an applicable word: bleak.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 7,988 times
Default Thanks for noticing this

(Louisville being a notable exception as it has some of the worst people I've ever met.)

I have lived here more than 6 years and I have never -- in the various cities I have lived in, in 4 states -- had so much difficulty making friends. People REPEATEDLY reject my attempts to move beyond acquaintances, and the dating scene (I am an attractive, intelligent 50+ woman) is just ridiculous. I am a friendly person and I have never had this degree of difficulty before. I am on my way out. Don't know where I am headed yet, but there has got to be something better out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: