Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:43 PM

12 posts, read 51,538 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
Can anyone suggest any towns near Louisville, within 45 minutes or so, that have cute downtowns and lots of older homes? We are looking for lots of historic character, but don't know where to start looking. Any suggestions would be great on both the KY and IN side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
To me, one of the most beautiful is downtown Corydon, IN. Carrollton & Bardstown KY qualify, too. So does Midway and LaGrange is unique because of it's railroad which runs right down the middle of a very narrow Main St. No stop would be complete without considering Madison Indiana too.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tholtz View Post
Hi everyone!
Can anyone suggest any towns near Louisville, within 45 minutes or so, that have cute downtowns and lots of older homes? We are looking for lots of historic character, but don't know where to start looking. Any suggestions would be great on both the KY and IN side.
Bardstown in particular has a nice historic down. You will be right at that 45 minute limit for a commute. Elizabethtown has an older downtown which is about 55 minutes from Louisville. Shelbyville is closer to Louisville than the first two.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:05 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Bardstown in particular has a nice historic down. You will be right at that 45 minute limit for a commute. Elizabethtown has an older downtown which is about 55 minutes from Louisville. Shelbyville is closer to Louisville than the first two.
Problems with Elizabethtown and Shelbyville are the lack of "cuteness."

Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times
Bardstown and Corydon.............definitely. Also, La Grange (KY). What about Bloomfield?...........OK, there's not really a "downtown," more like a stop sign. Also, Frankfort............it's historic AND charming.

Last edited by N. Olikee; 03-02-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Check out Pewee Valley - very historic, scenic, friendly and convenient (and expensive, alas, but it might just be worth it...).

Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Madison, Indiana is our favorite historic town in this area. They hold lots of public events - a national barbecue festival, art festival, a nice garden tour in April, craft/antique fairs, christmas tours. Decent shopping and restaurants - lovely old homes. Madison has done a good job of preserving their historic district and keeping the strip malls out of the historic area.

La Grange is great too as is Danville and Bardstown (one of our favorites). We go antique hunting in Georgetown two or three times a year - nice town.

Shelbyville has good restaurants and shopping and the downtown area is decent.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,720 times
not really a fan of the people in madison. i've seen a lot of very bad, violent things happen there, especially for a town of it's size. i do agree that it's cool looking and very historic, it just seems to have a very "you aint from around here" kind of culture, in my opinion.

i would definately recommend bardstown. as cool and friendly as it is now, it continues to evolve into something better. close proximity to louisville is also a plus.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
not really a fan of the people in madison. i've seen a lot of very bad, violent things happen there, especially for a town of it's size. i do agree that it's cool looking and very historic, it just seems to have a very "you aint from around here" kind of culture, in my opinion.

i would definately recommend bardstown. as cool and friendly as it is now, it continues to evolve into something better. close proximity to louisville is also a plus.
We visit Madison at least every two weeks and find the town people very friendly and helpful. We've gotten to know some of the restaurant and shop owners and consider them friends. We don't often venture out of the historic district and have seen no crime within the historic district, although I'm sure there is some - just not aware of any. I agree that outside of the historic district, Madison leaves much to be desired. But this post is about cute historic towns and Madison is the best. We go to many of their special events, walk the streets at all times of the day and have never had a problem or even seen anyone that looked unsavory.

We have met several couples from Louisville who have weekend homes in the Madison historic district - they love it!

The people who run Madison are keen on tourism and the revenue it produces so they have taken good advantage of the charm and beauty of the historic district in their planning and production of special events throughout the year. It is in the town's best interest to keep the historic area safe and friendly and I believe they have succeeded in doing so.

Madison is one of the best run historic towns I have ever seen and I highly recommend it. There are so many more things to do in Madison than any of the other towns mentioned on this post.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-04-2012 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tholtz View Post
Hi everyone!

BLESSING IN DISGUISE | March-April 2012

I actually think new albany, indiana is super underrated. just ten minutes from downtown lville, yet it is a small town all its own with an amazingly revived downtown of its own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area