Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Ok, so what's the problem? Why have JCPS schools seemed to have fallen apart?
How do we discuss the issues of race, cultures, and other obvious matters without the Race-Card being called?
Have they ever really been together? I dunno what the answers are as I am a product of some of it. I have seen both sides, I went to Male my freshman and sophmore year and Western my junior and senior. BIG mistake. It was a night and day difference and something I wish I had never CHOSEN to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 34,451 times
I can tell you stories about "night" and "day" schools." The middle school (which I shall not name) that my oldest son attended was every parent's nightmare. At the time, he was small for his age, bad teeth, glasses - he was an easy target. Certain boys would call him names on the bus, smack the back of his head, knock his glasses off and the bus driver did nothing. While going to his lockers in between classes, certain kids would push him, knocks his books down, threaten him and the teachers (those standing by the doorways) would do nothing. He was in a Science class where the kids harassed him openly and that particular teacher did nothing. I went to that school so many times to speak to the teachers and his counselor and the vice principal (could never get to the principal) and nothing happened. I finally got him a hardship transfer to Kammerer Middle School. I carpooled with neighborhood mothers so the kids did not ride the bus. At Kammerer, all students form a single line and are walked to classes - great supervision and no harrassment. The principal walked the halls between classes to make sure there were no stragglers. Oh, and if a student disrepects a teacher or another student, off to the office you go. It was great. The problem schools needs to model after schools that work. Those principals should be mentors to the problem schools. It may not solve all problems but it'd be a great start - supervision is a good thing - it made my son feel safe being there.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:57 PM

19 posts, read 43,611 times
My husband and I will be moving to Louisville next year and I have two kids in elementary school. I am having second thoughts after reading your posts about the trouble kids are having in the schools. I am curious to know if any of you have came across any schools where your kids had a good experience, because I don't ever want my kids to be scared to go to school. So if anyone can recommend any good public or charter schools please share them with me because I will not be moving anywhere if I can't find a school where my kids will be safe and receive the best education possible.

Thanks

Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM

8 posts, read 34,451 times
Louisville is just like any other city in the US, not all schools are equal - there are some good ones and there are some really bad ones. Before relocating, research the area and visit the district school and check out their scores. Just because the house might be in a good neighborhood does not necessarily mean it is a good school. In my neighborhood, Wilder Elementary, Lowe Elementary and the traditional elementary are excellent schools. For middle school, Kammerer and Barrett. For high school, Ballard, Male and Manual. In fact I believe Manual HS was listed as the Top 100 high schools in the US. There are other excellent schools throughout the metro area and of course nearby county schools like Oldham is excellent. The point is to consider the school district when relocating. Hardship transfers and school lottery is available but that is not always a guarantee. Bad schools are a problem throughout the US. Just be diligent about where your kids get their education. My son who received a hardship transfer to Kammerer 3 years ago is now in high school - taller, contacts and straight teeth due to braces. He's on the honor roll now.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,995 times
Default School Name

Please disclose name of middle school that was so horrible. My son is starting middle school next year and I am very worried after his experience at an elem school here in crescent hill. JCPS are horrible and having moved here 2 yrs. ago would really like to have some inside info from other parents if possible. Can't rely on what the school tells you - thanks.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymom64 View Post
Please disclose name of middle school that was so horrible. My son is starting middle school next year and I am very worried after his experience at an elem school here in crescent hill. JCPS are horrible and having moved here 2 yrs. ago would really like to have some inside info from other parents if possible. Can't rely on what the school tells you - thanks.
Your child should be ok if they go to a home-resides school. Do you know which one yet?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,812 times
iJust have to say I go to Waggener high school and I will be graduating in 2012... Waggener has made a lot of improvements from our new Principle to how the students act... So if you all want to JUDGE MY SCHOOL! Come visit it for a day and see how much it has improved

CHRISTEN JOHNSON, SENIOR at WAGGENER HIGH SCHOOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area