Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

In July I'll host a couple (in their 40s) from Munich, Germany, for about 4 days in Louisville. I'm stumped. What to show them? They have no interest in horse racing or gambling. How about something cultural?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
In July I'll host a couple (in their 40s) from Munich, Germany, for about 4 days in Louisville. I'm stumped. What to show them? They have no interest in horse racing or gambling. How about something cultural?
We have nothing cultural. Just a bunch of toothless hillbillies with no good radio.....

hmmm let's see. Show them Old Louisville, the largest Victorian Mansion district in the US. Contact the Old LOuisville visitor center to set up a tour.

Take them to Museum Row. Stop at the Slugger Bat Museum, Muhammad ALi, and have lunch at Proof on Main followed by a tour of the free Contemporary art gallery in the basement.

While small, the Speed Art Museum is great. Take them for a walk on Waterfront Park.

Have a meal at Seviche for dinner and stroll down to Better Days Records and Why Louisville for some keepsakes. Take them for a walk up Cherokee Rd near Willow Ave, and enjoy the turn of the century architecture and Olmstead Park.

Shop the NuLu area. Joe Ley Antiques is really neat, and Harvest, Wiltshire, Rye, and especially, DECCA, are rocking right now. Take them to Garage Bar or Meat in Butchertown for prohibition style cocktails afterwards.

If they like Jazz, the NuLu lounge at Mozz on Market often has some good shows. Should they like craft beers, skip across the river and show them quaint New Albany, IN. Mansion Row on main street has really shapen up and Bank St. Brewhouse has great beers and pub grub.

Make sure you check LEO and Metromix for happenings. If they are coming on the first or last friday of the month, one of the art gallery hops is a MUST. Some places to start:

Epicurious Louisville
| Think "New Louisville"…
Backseat Sandbar
Consuming Louisville* *
LouisvilleHotBytes.com
The Paper | Making Louisville Weirder!
megabiteslouisville

I hail from Chicago, and what you have failed to see so far is that Louisville, in fact, is like a mini-Chicago. It is a city with very tight-knit, urban, walkable, urban, diverse neighborhoods with lots to do. There is just not the great density and transit and of course mega CBD with surrounding sprawlburbs, plus you have a bit of a southern flair with midwest sensibility in Louisville.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
If I were to bet, and you have one or two days left over after STX's itenerary, which I agree with, take them to Mammoth Cave and/or Bardstown.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM

I'm surprised at the lack of suggestions.
Anyway, my guests have been to Florida and New York City, but this will be their first time in the Bible Belt.
Yes, I think the houses in Old Louisville are worth a view, also the skyline from the Indiana side of the Ohio. A drive to Fort Knox, to see the vault, is on plan, plus we'll have a look at Dixie Highway. Most of the time we'll spend in the Highlands, then back to my neighborhood for the contrast.
My guests already know about evangelism in America, so I'll show them Southeast Christian as well.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:49 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
if they like beer, and most germans i know do, take them to sergio's world beers on story and have a pint. I've met many euro's there over the years there and they all seem to love the place.

the speed art museum has some pretty impressive stuff at certain times.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
And don't forget to take them to a distillery....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
If they have any interest in military history, i'd show them the Patton museum down 31W in Hardin County.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I'm surprised at the lack of suggestions.
Anyway, my guests have been to Florida and New York City, but this will be their first time in the Bible Belt.
Yes, I think the houses in Old Louisville are worth a view, also the skyline from the Indiana side of the Ohio. A drive to Fort Knox, to see the vault, is on plan, plus we'll have a look at Dixie Highway. Most of the time we'll spend in the Highlands, then back to my neighborhood for the contrast.
My guests already know about evangelism in America, so I'll show them Southeast Christian as well.
You might really shake them up and take them to church.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If they have any interest in military history, i'd show them the Patton museum down 31W in Hardin County.
They don't have militarized minds.
I'm not exactly sure where it is, but somewhere around West Point is a machine gun range where patriots get their gun thrills. Maybe we'll have a look there.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You might really shake them up and take them to church.
American evangelical and religious fundamentalism is known to most Europeans. Kentucky has no shortage of religious TV programs. We might tune in for a few minutes and save a trip to any church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area