U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM

9 posts, read 30,073 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
This forum looks like a life saver for me!!
I will be moving to Louisville in a few weeks to start working at the University of Louisville hospital at 550 S. Jackson and Jewish hospital.
I am moving from northenVirginia. I will be frequently on call for work and I will have to live maximum 20 minutes away from the hospital.
I am looking for a safe clean area. I like working out and I like to live near by to a clean gym with easy parking. I would like to live in an area with near by grocery stores, dry cleaning and restaurants. since I am moving from northen Virginia, I am used to expensive rental apartments, I am willing to pay up to $900 for a nice one bed room rental apartment.
I would greatly appreciate it if you share your experience with me guys!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,677,610 times
welcome. i work at u of l hospital and workout at the u of l gym which is located in the chestnut st. parking garage. if you're doing residency this gym is free and while not the biggest, it has everything except maybe a pool and the price can't be beat!

i would suggest the highlands hands down. this area is roughly from the end of east broadway down baxter/bardstown rd until taylorsville rd. it's close to work, is the most walkable area in town, has a huge park in cherokee right in the middle of it, and more to do than anywhere else. it's also very safe.

you will find rents here to be very cheap comparatively and $900 should get you something very nice in the highlands. i would focus on cherokee triangle or deer park, my two favorite nabes in the highlands.

if you have any other questions feel free. happy to help.
what will you be doing at u of l?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 AM

165 posts, read 286,645 times
There's also a new development called Liberty Green you might check out. It's sandwiched right between the hospitals and NuLu, Louisville's hottest, trendiest, growing neighborhood. If I worked at the hospitals, I'd take a serious look at it.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM

25,716 posts, read 37,578,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliant99 View Post
Hi everyone,
This forum looks like a life saver for me!!
I will be moving to Louisville in a few weeks to start working at the University of Louisville hospital at 550 S. Jackson and Jewish hospital.
I am moving from northenVirginia. I will be frequently on call for work and I will have to live maximum 20 minutes away from the hospital.
I am looking for a safe clean area. I like working out and I like to live near by to a clean gym with easy parking. I would like to live in an area with near by grocery stores, dry cleaning and restaurants. since I am moving from northen Virginia, I am used to expensive rental apartments, I am willing to pay up to $900 for a nice one bed room rental apartment.
I would greatly appreciate it if you share your experience with me guys!
I'm from Northern Virginia myself. I don't think you'll need to shell out $900 to get a nice place here. I'd take a long look at the Crescent Hill or Clifton neighborhood. I also love the Liberty Green suggestion, although I hear there is a long waiting list.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:05 PM

242 posts, read 362,732 times
Depending on what kind of neighborhood you're looking for, Saint Matthews may fit your bill nicely. It's well within the distance you're talking about, has many nice rentals, both apartments and homes and as several very nice gyms including Milestone. Milestone is hands down the nicest facility like that in the area was every kind of exercise equipment and class you can think of. They also have several indoor pools!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 30,073 times
Thank you guys. I will be starting residney at Universty of Louisville.
So there are no gyms in Louisville that are open till midnight till here?
About The highlands apts, is the only way to look Craig's list?
Looking forward to move to Louisville!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM

10 posts, read 12,206 times
I'd avoid Highlands as it's a haven for hipsters and the homeless. St. Mathews and Clifton Heights is much better, less hipsters.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,988,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateWolf View Post
I'd avoid Highlands as it's a haven for hipsters and the homeless. St. Mathews and Clifton Heights is much better, less hipsters.
Second. I actually like the Highlands neighborhood because once away from Bardstown Road, it's easy to escape the hipsters. But I get what you're saying; I live near SF and Oakland now and have become easily annoyed by hipsters, many of whom are pretty self-righteous.

To think that they're the future of America is scary; at least the hippies produced great music, just wanted to have world peace and smoked a lot of pot. But the hippies also gave us Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Paul Allen, and, indirectly, The Beatles.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:09 AM

10,072 posts, read 5,603,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliant99 View Post
Thank you guys. I will be starting residney at Universty of Louisville.
So there are no gyms in Louisville that are open till midnight till here?
About The highlands apts, is the only way to look Craig's list?
Looking forward to move to Louisville!
Most or many apartments that have Gym's
allow you to use them 24 hours a day.
I suppose how good the gym's are would vary from place to place.

Lots of places to look for Apartment complexes in Louisville, but I think
many apartments in the Highlands are more privately owned rather than complexes.

Louisville Apartments - Rent Apartments in Louisville, KY

Jefferson County Apartments for Rent | Apartments in Jefferson County KY

Highlands Douglass Apartments for Rent in Louisville | Apartments.com

Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,677,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateWolf View Post

st. matthews has an incredibly high self-opionion of itself and quite an eliteist attitude, imo. not saying everyone there is a stuck-up jerk in a beamer, just that there are a lot of stuck up jerks in beamers there.
and btw, i think clifton is far more shady than the highlands when it comes to less than upstanding citizens walking the streets. I like clifton, a lot, but to paint it as a safer area than the highlands doesn't really ring true to me.

the highlands is also full of md's, lawyers and other white collar people who happen to be cool and don't think they are better than everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area