Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:48 PM

44 posts, read 123,996 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all, I read in the Lexington section that locals often asked newcomers what church they attended.And from what others said it seems to be a common occurrence. Am I right in assuming that such would not be the case in Louisville? I'm talking about just the city. What has been your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 03:58 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I visit Louisville often and have only been asked once as to whether I am a Christian or no - no specific religion was asked about. We plan to retire to Louisville next year and have no concerns about being questioned about our religion. We feel secure in our choices.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 PM

I don't think " being secure" has anything to do with it. Having lived for almost two years in western Ky.I experienced first hand religious bias and intolerance. I've also visited Louisville a number of times for business and while I didn't experience it then I wouldn't expect to. But, having relatives in two small towns about an hour south of Louisville tell me that it is still quite prevalent there prompted my question.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:47 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Of course being secure has a lot to do with how you perceive those who might judge or criticize you - if you feel secure in your religious choices, then it really doesn't matter what detractors might say because you are confident and happy with the choice you have made.

That being said, I think Louisville is diverse enough that what religion you are shouldn't really matter.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 PM

92 posts, read 499,940 times
I have to say that I have been asked only once by a stranger about my religious views while in Louisville. Most people simply feel it is too personal to ask those sorts of questions of people they don't know.

Of couse, you will find the type of person who is convinced they need to "save your soul" everywhere, and Louisville is no exception. But don't think you're going to be accosted daily about it.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Of course being secure has a lot to do with how you perceive those who might judge or criticize you - if you feel secure in your religious choices, then it really doesn't matter what detractors might say because you are confident and happy with the choice you have made.

That being said, I think Louisville is diverse enough that what religion you are shouldn't really matter.
You miss the point secure or not I feel it is not anyones business.And as it doesn't sound as if you have spent any more time in the city than me, don't now, nor have never lived there all you are doing is conjecturing. I do prefer to hear from someone who lives there.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Oh, ok. I am one of those people who might ask you which church you attend, and I might worry that you don't know the joy of the faith that I feel, but I won't discriminate against you and I won't put you down for your feelings. I will ask you a question right now, however. Have you ever known of a person in a terminally ill situation who has ever regretted being a Christian and having lived their life as a Christian? It won't happen because Christians have Hope for more.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:02 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
I don't think I've ever asked a visitor or new-comer about their church or religion. Nor have I ever heard that asked by any of my friends or co-workers.

Maybe that just means I run with a bunch of heathens!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 AM

200 posts, read 915,022 times
Wow. And there you have it folks...

I have to agree with tball6733. It is not anybody's business. It isn't enough to just 'tolerate' other people and their beliefs; but to learn about them, and understand that their beliefs have value, too. The thing is if you have ever lived around a diverse population, if you've ever lived in other cities, or countries....then you realize that the world is bigger than just beyond your back door. I have lived in other countries, and even my own family resembles a mini-United Nations, with numerous cultures represented. In fact, tomcox, for as deeply as you believe in your faith...there are others who just as deeply feel theirs. The bottom line is, it takes an awfully narrow mind to ever think that one's religion trumps others; or is somehow superior to others... I am glad that you have a conviction, and a belief in something that provides you with joy and faith. However, other people know that same feeling through their belief structure. I would never presume that what I believe, should be what other people need to believe. Historically, this kind of thinking has only led to wars and intolerance. Religion is a very personal thing, and rightfully so. Even a 'soft sell' approach is pretty inappropriate...

Old 09-21-2007, 12:20 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
tomcox

Asking someone what church they attend assumes they are Christian. What about people of other faiths? If they state they are Jewish or otherwise, can you let that be, knowing that this person has chosen his faith and is comfortable in his relationship with God, or does it become a personal mission to "save" this person to Christianity? I, myself, would find it disrespectful and annoying to be the person trying to "justify" or "explain" his religious choice outside of Christianity

Cobolt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area