U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,579 times

Advertisements

Moving in the next year and stuck between two cities Kansas City, MO and Louisville, Ky. Looking for the local vote! We are an interracial lesbian couple in our 30's currently in Dallas but originally from up north. We are looking for a relaxed place to live with our two furry kids. We are looking for a city were we can be comfortable as a couple. I dress like a guy and when I go for an interview I will be wearing a suit and tie. So what do you think Kansas City or Louisville, and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM

6,988 posts, read 15,119,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj2fnluv View Post
Moving in the next year and stuck between two cities Kansas City, MO and Louisville, Ky. Looking for the local vote! We are an interracial lesbian couple in our 30's currently in Dallas but originally from up north. We are looking for a relaxed place to live with our two furry kids. We are looking for a city were we can be comfortable as a couple. I dress like a guy and when I go for an interview I will be wearing a suit and tie. So what do you think Kansas City or Louisville, and why?
I think Louisville is more liberal, hipster, and gay friendly. You all would enjoy the Highlands or Old Louisville. Plus, Louisville is not isolated and you can take day trips to Chicago, Nashville, etc.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,665,082 times
I have two friends who are a gay couple in kansas city and both seem to really love it. that being said, i don't really know that much else about k.c. except that the chiefs suck (go raiders) lol.

I do know that louisville has always had a rather large gay population and in certain areas (the highlands, nulu or old louisville) there are lots of gay people. we are, however, still in a very conservative red state, and outside of the watterson expressway, attitudes towards gays are almost biblicle. my son is gay and has told me horror storys of his treatment at the hands of small minded, bigoted rednecks who claim to be religious. I'm sure this happens in most places across america, sadly, but I think the more conservative/religious a place is the worse it is for people who are different.while louisville does have a very modern, eclectic and accepting part of town, it is still located in kentucky, a state not really known for it's acceptance or forward thinking. I would almost always vote for the larger city if I were gay and looking for a new home.

p.s. one of my two friends in k.c. moved there from louisville for his job. he seems happier.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 AM

165 posts, read 285,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I have two friends who are a gay couple in kansas city and both seem to really love it. that being said, i don't really know that much else about k.c. except that the chiefs suck (go raiders) lol.

I do know that louisville has always had a rather large gay population and in certain areas (the highlands, nulu or old louisville) there are lots of gay people. we are, however, still in a very conservative red state, and outside of the watterson expressway, attitudes towards gays are almost biblicle. my son is gay and has told me horror storys of his treatment at the hands of small minded, bigoted rednecks who claim to be religious. I'm sure this happens in most places across america, sadly, but I think the more conservative/religious a place is the worse it is for people who are different.while louisville does have a very modern, eclectic and accepting part of town, it is still located in kentucky, a state not really known for it's acceptance or forward thinking. I would almost always vote for the larger city if I were gay and looking for a new home.

p.s. one of my two friends in k.c. moved there from louisville for his job. he seems happier.
So your argument is basically:

1. Louisville is pretty gay-friendly, but;
2. It's in a state not known for its acceptance or forward thinking;

therefore

3. You should move to Kansas City instead.

Is Missouri is known for its acceptance and forward thinking? Last I checked, Missouri was a pretty red, agricultural state with only a couple bigger cities.

I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight, and I DO understand your point about picking the larger city, but picking on Louisville because it's in Kentucky seems unfair when your point of comparison is another red state.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM

I didn't realize i was "picking" on louisville nor was i making an "argument".I was simply answering a question to the best of my ability based on the information I have. Geez, man, lighten up a little. just because I give an honest opinion based on what I believe to be the truth, you get all bunched up and start trying to poke holes in everything I've said, and you try to do it in the guise of "i'm not trying to pick a fight" when that's exactly what you ARE doing. I said if I were gay I would pick the larger of two cities, period.

BTW, where is your insight as to what city would be best for the o.p.? or are you on here just to start fights and argue without presenting any real information. this board is turning into the louisville anti-defamation police more and more every day. kentucky's stereotypes a based in a little bit of reality, even though a lot of it's residents are not.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 AM

165 posts, read 285,486 times
Argument, n.
4. a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point
5. an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.

I told you I wasn't looking to pick a fight. I can't help it if you don't believe me. I'm trying to have a civil, honest discussion and consider all the facts. I respect you and your viewpoint, and I've told you that before. You're the most fair and even-handed of the folks here who have significant dislikes about Louisville.

You offered your perspective, I was just trying to point out maybe there was a more logical way to think about it.

I already offered all the insight I have to give on the question. I'm not gay and I don't know anything about Kansas City. I do know a number of gay people who are perfectly happy here in Louisville and who don't let the big bad scary rednecks out beyond I-265 deter them from enjoying life.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM

cool. i understand your point and maybe you read my original post as being negative. I was just trying to paint a real picture of life here. there are lots of gay-haters in this city. the fairness ordinance barely passed here. all it does is give gay people basic rights in housing and jobs that any human in this country, regardless of what country they are from, would be given. this ordinance passed by one vote, and there was a bit of a public outcry over it passing. I heard several people say they should be able to discriminate against gays in any way.

so yeah, there are cool people here, most definately. I know lots of gay people who love this city. there are also tons of closed minded bigoted rednecks that believe being gay is evil. I was just making the o.p. aware of the climate in this town, the good and the bad.

I actually like "arguing" with you, lol.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 10,925 times
I'm not certain if kytoaz has a grudge against Louisville or Kentucky, but please note that KC is NOT the safest place for those with alternative lifestyles or preferences. It ranks very high on the list nationally for orientation-based hate crimes, and a couple of years ago had a very high profile case in which a man was assaulted simply for wearing a pink shirt (which happened to be in support of breast cancer). My partner and I are close friends with a couple that moved from KC to Portland in part due to the intolerance they perceived (stares, obviously slow service at restaurants, etc.) Louisville may not be the most LGBT friendly city in the country, but it is top 25, easily.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearSworn View Post
I'm not certain if kytoaz has a grudge against Louisville or Kentucky, but please note that KC is NOT the safest place for those with alternative lifestyles or preferences. It ranks very high on the list nationally for orientation-based hate crimes, and a couple of years ago had a very high profile case in which a man was assaulted simply for wearing a pink shirt (which happened to be in support of breast cancer). My partner and I are close friends with a couple that moved from KC to Portland in part due to the intolerance they perceived (stares, obviously slow service at restaurants, etc.) Louisville may not be the most LGBT friendly city in the country, but it is top 25, easily.
thanks for the insight, i wasn't aware. my only reference of kc are my friends who live there. sadly too many places are full of insecure a-holes.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,128,166 times
I've only driven through Louisville, so can't comment there, but I grew up in KC. I think KC is fine for gay couples if you stick to more urban areas (Midtown, Plaza, Hyde Park, probably Brookside or even far NE Johnson County on the KS side), but people in the 'burbs are fairly evangelical/conservative. You could live in peace in the 'burbs most likely, but probably risk feeling somewhat like an outsider. I know gay couples who live in the KC area and they never mention any issues. But both KS and MO are quite "red" and state governments are practically hostile to gay people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area