U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,089,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tball6733 View Post
You miss the point secure or not I feel it is not anyones business.And as it doesn't sound as if you have spent any more time in the city than me, don't now, nor have never lived there all you are doing is conjecturing. I do prefer to hear from someone who lives there.

Not sure why you would ask the original question then - if it is no one's business, then what does it matter if people ask - you seen to be angry enough to be rude to any religious inquiry, so what is your concern?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 07:21 PM

44 posts, read 117,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Not sure why you would ask the original question then - if it is no one's business, then what does it matter if people ask - you seen to be angry enough to be rude to any religious inquiry, so what is your concern?
If one takes the time to READ my original question I explain how several people mentioned having be confronted in Lexington so I was asking if people LIVING in Louisville had ever had similar experiences in order to determine if same was practiced there. Now since you don't live in Louisville and have never I fail to see how any thing you have to say is relevant to this discussion.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 PM

483 posts, read 1,990,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball6733 View Post
You miss the point secure or not I feel it is not anyones business.And as it doesn't sound as if you have spent any more time in the city than me, don't now, nor have never lived there all you are doing is conjecturing. I do prefer to hear from someone who lives there.
Why is what YOU feel any more important than what someone else feels?
Maybe they feel it IS their business to at least mention the topic.
If there's more than 1 person in the entire world that feels that way, you're outvoted. Is tolerance only something OTHER people should have?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Why is what YOU feel any more important than what someone else feels?
Maybe they feel it IS their business to at least mention the topic.
If there's more than 1 person in the entire world that feels that way, you're outvoted. Is tolerance only something OTHER people should have?
Again, that person doesn't live in Louisville and since that was the reason( to find out if same occurred in Louisville) what good would it do to hear from someone who has not lived there????????

Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 PM

200 posts, read 888,533 times
The bottom line is that religion is too personal to go around just asking people... and it really is no one's business. It is at least as rude as asking someone how much they make or who they sleep with...

I'm sorry, 'irvm' but that is just not a very valid argument that you are making. That anyone anywhere has can do whatever they feel or be as rude as they want to, and it should be tolerated. If people do not have respect for each other, what kind of communities are we living in? Feeling that it is your business to know what someone's religion...that is about as rude or as dissrespectful as it gets. It kind ofcomes across as a 'witch hunt'; and it is often a loaded question anyway. I could understand in the context of family or friends discussing religion in a very open way...

Old 09-21-2007, 08:12 PM

103 posts, read 424,829 times
And the next thing they would say to a newcomer is, come on by our church sunday. It gets asked more as a welcoming gesture and chance to get to know people thing, than a let's cram our beliefs down this heathens throat. Maybe you would feel more comfortable if you were invited to a keg party instead? I was an atheist the whole time i lived in Louisville, if you were wondering.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:28 PM

200 posts, read 888,533 times
That's quite a leap...if someone declines an offer to join someone at their church, they might feel more comfortable at a keg party? That really perpetuates the whole notion that people on one 'team' are the good guys...and people on another 'team' are the bad guys. Categorizing people by religion is a very one dimesional way of looking at people. I could care less if someone believes in chritianity, is jewish, budhist, muslim, atheist... It may sound cheesy, but I only care if people are respectful, honest, kind, tolerant and treat others the way that they would hope to be treated. And I bears repeating, generally people who want to broadcast their religion, or are so readily wanting to sell it to other people...are usually the ones doing scandalous business behind closed doors...

*And no, I wasn't wondering if you were an atheist...

Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 PM

103 posts, read 424,829 times
That is how ridiculous this whole conversation is.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM

688 posts, read 2,888,880 times
I have been asked about my religious beliefs while living both in Louisville and Lexington. However, neither were frequent enough that the average visitor would necessarily experience it. On occasions in both cities, it was by someone who wanted to "spread the word" of their particular church.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
I have been asked about my religious beliefs while living both in Louisville and Lexington. However, neither were frequent enough that the average visitor would necessarily experience it. On occasions in both cities, it was by someone who wanted to "spread the word" of their particular church.
Thank you, I appreciate your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area