U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,931,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Oh, ok. I am one of those people who might ask you which church you attend, and I might worry that you don't know the joy of the faith that I feel, but I won't discriminate against you and I won't put you down for your feelings. I will ask you a question right now, however. Have you ever known of a person in a terminally ill situation who has ever regretted being a Christian and having lived their life as a Christian? It won't happen because Christians have Hope for more.
amen! well said tom!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 06:23 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,931,122 times
I have asked people what church they go to. So far everyone has answered a baptist church (go figure) but if someone had said something else be it jewish or anything else, I would maybe pray about it but wouldn't actively pursue the people. UNLESS it came into conversation. God determines the timing

Old 09-22-2007, 07:51 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,549,114 times
Oh, to those who have replied to my response. You make my point exactly. I am totally aware of everything you have written and might feel. I don't disrespect you for your faith, nor do I discriminate because of your feelings, but the facts are far more people discriminate against Christians for their faith. Throughout history, we have many people claiming to be something they really aren't. I go back to my point, I do not know of a person who understands and lives the principals of Christianity that regrets such a life. People who abuse Christianity for their own benefit (I would include Larry Flynt and equally as bad many evangelists, whether Tele-or not, and many religiously spouting politicians) are not examples of the Christians I speak of. I assure you that I do not have the personal intelligence nor the communicative ability to share what I know, but any person who will study Christianity and what Christ truly taught will agree that it isn't the faith so many people now believe.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 AM

200 posts, read 888,474 times
To some degree, I would agree with you tomocox. I think many people have used religion as a means to sell their ideas (and political agendas). However you really don't run into this mentality as much in the Northeast; people generally do not try to sell their religion to you, and are a little more critical of this kind of behavior. That is not to say that people aren't just as religious...I guess there is just a little more understanding and cultural sensitivity.

The world would be a very boring place if everyone was the same. I would just hope that you would be respectful enough to know that religion is a delicate, personal thing...and other people's faiths bring to them as much joy and strength as yours brings to you. It is pretty arrogant to think somehow that yours is 'better' and you are the one who 'knows all'. You may very well 'know all' when it comes to your life, but don't project that on others. It is very dissrespectful to suggest that people of other religions need praying for...

So, I guess in answer to the original question....you are probably going to run into this in Louisville....

Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 AM

As one of the resident "Christians" regularly contributing to this blog, I am often frustrated by the hypocracy that comes from both sides of the religious issue. Because I am a Christian, it is often assumed that I think this or that. That is like saying that a black person loves fried chicken and watermelon. The issue that I have found most distrubing is the excessive stereotyping that liberals seem to rally against but blast furiously with against people who they deem worthy of their labeling.

In Kentucky, much of the tradition that makes it a destination state is based in its religious history and societial evalution. While obviously changing, our faith basis has contributed to lower crime, friendlier people, and I believe a happier society. So if someone asks you about your faith, don't be insulted, it is far more often a friendly gesture of welcome. If you feel "invaded", please just say, "I am happy you asked, but I don't speak about my faith."

Old 09-22-2007, 09:16 AM

200 posts, read 888,474 times
I think it's kind of funny that you labeled 'liberals' for how they think about you... Not that it is your business, but I will go ahead an offer...I am both Christian, and a black woman (I will say I have never been ostracized for my religion, only for the latter)... I have also lived in the UK, Italy and Brazil. I have met lots of people; and lived in many types of communities. Generally people in the South are friendly; but I can remember driving through the South in my youth, and having horrible thing spewed at my family. I don't debate that ignorance and predjudice are everywhere; my only point is that in denser communities with lots of diversity, people are generally a little more sensitive, and tolerant of peoples differences...and guess what, you can actually learn quite a bit about the way others live (without judgement)

Old 09-22-2007, 10:42 AM

MovingtoLou,

I just erased an essay of response to you, but simply put, you wrote of exactly the point I am trying to make.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 AM

44 posts, read 117,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
As one of the resident "Christians" regularly contributing to this blog, I am often frustrated by the hypocracy that comes from both sides of the religious issue. Because I am a Christian, it is often assumed that I think this or that. That is like saying that a black person loves fried chicken and watermelon. The issue that I have found most distrubing is the excessive stereotyping that liberals seem to rally against but blast furiously with against people who they deem worthy of their labeling.

In Kentucky, much of the tradition that makes it a destination state is based in its religious history and societial evalution. While obviously changing, our faith basis has contributed to lower crime, friendlier people, and I believe a happier society. So if someone asks you about your faith, don't be insulted, it is far more often a friendly gesture of welcome. If you feel "invaded", please just say, "I am happy you asked, but I don't speak about my faith."
In my opinion asking someone what church they belong to
is just none of your business. And if you believe that all that ask mean it as a friendly gesture well then you are naive.I won't get into the "liberal" comment except to ask isn't your statement a perfect example of what you accuse them of? Your interest in other peoples religion do you carry it with you? If you traveled to say Chicago would you feel inclined to make such inquires there? As a real estate agent are you permitted to ask clients what church they belong to?I'm a broker, such action by a agent in my state
could cost you your license.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:29 PM

103 posts, read 424,783 times
The whole goal is to throw a thick blanket over the LIGHT. Has it been accomplished yet? I sure hope not!

Old 09-22-2007, 05:37 PM

Tball, I am so sorry that you have fallen for such silliness. Yes, as a broker, and as real estate professional, as a matter of helping a buyer find their perfect home, we can ask if a particular church is important to them. Of course, if we in any way attempt to lead someone to a particular church or area, it is the same as steering, and that is certainly not only illegal, but unethical if not immoral.

As we look at our nation's history, since church as become such a no-go zone, we have found nothing but extreme crime. Our schools are war zones, and in Louisville, there is a very high rate of parochial school attendence due to the absolute lack of discipline in the public schools. Only Male High School which is a traditional high school operating with historical discipline policies mounts any annually creditable challenge to the Catholic schools athletic achievements. It really is a discipline thing! In the 2005, Kentucky High School football championships there were 8 teams representing four classes based on school size. Of those 8 teams 5 were parochial.

You obviously have mistaken me. I am sorry that you did, because if you knew me and what I stand for, you would know just how terribly wrong your assumptions are.

PS: Just because something is the law, I surely hope that you have learned by now, that it is not necessarily right. The US Supreme Court constantly is asked to correct unconstitually enacted and enforced laws.

Last edited by tomocox; 09-22-2007 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: PS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area