U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:04 PM

200 posts, read 888,563 times

Advertisements

If you'll look at our nation's history, you will understand why church has become such a no-go zone. Our nation was not exactly built on tolerance...

Plus, I think to over-simplify our nation's crime problem, and attribute it to once thing is to way to easy. There are many more factors at play...

And since I am coming from Boston...I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention, Catholic schools are certainly not exempt from immoral behavior...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 05:39 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,551,790 times
Tolerence is like excercise. If there is too much tolerence, we accept anything. Tolerance of crime for example leads to unnecessary losses. Absolute in-tolerance leads to Taliban type control of people. It is difficult for a society to find the perfect balance. In my opinion, right now, we are becoming tolerent to the point of societial revolution, and its a revolution I don't want to see happen.

If you speak of slavery, I agree that it was a horrific era of human error; however, just like the patriots that fought the American Revolution, the slaves of America played their heroic role in allowing their ancestors to enjoy the opportunities of modern America. The only issue is that the slaves did their part involunatarily, but so to did soldiers drafted to fight in the Civil War, WWI & II, Korea, & Viet Nam. The odds are any black person reading this blog has taken advantage of the opportunities America has for all its citizens, I know I am thankful for all the sacrifices every American of every race before me has made to allow me to live within such a great nation.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 AM

200 posts, read 888,563 times
As a black person reading this blog...I'll admit that I, personally, have had tremendous advantages. Every person is not presented with the advantages I've had. In fact, most have not. So you can't negate the centuries of denial & exclusion that blacks have faced. You know, I was speaking with my aunt the other day, a black SOUTHERN woman...we were talking about the swimming lessons my kids take. When I asked her if she could swim, she laughed. 'Where would I have learned how to swim?' I thought about it...No, she is not near a coastline...'Well, I learned at the YMCA...' I answered. She replied 'We weren't allowed to go to the YMCA' This period of exclusion spanned centuries...for you to think that it can be made of in a few decades is absolutely ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as thinking that 2 people racing will cross the finish line at the same time, when the start lines have been staggered 400 feet apart from each other.

I also do not deny the part that just plain 'good fortune' has played in my opportunities. If you think that you have gotten where you are with just plain 'ole 'elbow grease'; you are arrogant. To think that any & every hardworking, educated person will be presented with opportunities such as I, or you have is a fallacy. I have also faced my fare share of obstacles. Some that you will never understand, and would probably not even admit exist. I don't put myself 'above' others because I have been able to overcome some of those obtsables.

And for you to liken slavery to drafted soldiers...is really an insult. It is clear that we have led very different lives, and come from very differnt experiences. I have in many ways, had to assimilate. If tolerance is like excercise than you have put on your sweats, laced up your shoes, put on a headband, wristband...and likely barely gotten through the stretching phase. That's too bad for you...

AND, no I was not exclusively talking about slavery. Native Americans have had it pretty bad too...

This has now gone completely off topic. I'll just re-iterate, asking someone their religion... or even assuming that they are Christian, and asking them which church they belong to, is just as rude as asking any other personal question.

And I'm done.

Last edited by movingtolou; 09-23-2007 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-23-2007, 08:09 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,551,790 times
Default Never an intent to insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtolou View Post
As a black person reading this blog...I'll admit that I, personally, have had tremendous advantages. Every person is not presented with the advantages I've had. In fact, most have not. So you can't negate the centuries of denial & exclusion that blacks have faced. You know, I was speaking with my aunt the other day, a black SOUTHERN woman...we were talking about the swimming lessons my kids take. When I asked her if she could swim, she laughed. 'Where would I have learned how to swim?' I thought about it...No, she is not near a coastline...'Well, I learned at the YMCA...' I answered. She replied 'We weren't allowed to go to the YMCA' This period of exclusion spanned centuries...for you to think that it can be made of in a few decades is absolutely ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as thinking that 2 people racing will cross the finish line at the same time, when the start lines have been staggered 400 feet apart from each other.

I also do not deny the part that just plain 'good fortune' has played in my opportunities. If you think that you have gotten where you are with just plain 'ole 'elbow grease'; you are arrogant. To think that any & every hardworking, educated person will be presented with opportunities such as I, or you have is a fallacy. I have also faced my fare share of obstacles. Some that you will never understand, and would probably not even admit exist. I don't put myself 'above' others because I have been able to overcome some of those obtsables.

And for you to liken slavery to drafted soldiers...is really an insult. It is clear that we have led very different lives, and come from very differnt experiences. I have in many ways, had to assimilate. If tolerance is like excercise than you have put on your sweats, laced up your shoes, put on a headband, wristband...and likely barely gotten through the stretching phase. That's too bad for you...

This has now gone completely off topic. And I'm done.
We can't stop now! If anyone was insulted by anything I said, I only regret that I couldn't communicate my thoughts better. There certainly was no intention to insult anyone who has personally overcome the challenges of their life and achieved success. Unfortunately, those who have faced such tremendous odds and overcame those odds, are often denied the respect they deserve and in my opinion, the lack of respect generally comes from the ney-sayers of their own heritage. When a person obviously of the caliber of you or a Collen Powell, is successful, your success should be celebrated by all, but mostly by the communities from where you came.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,887,411 times
tell em you worship Quetzalcoatl. that should shut em up

Quetzalcoatl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area