U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,532,545 times

Advertisements

X, how do you keep insisting that Manual is the best HS in KY. Do you have some data that the Kentucky Board of Education is either not releasing or possibly I am missing, even misinterpreting?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 09:34 AM

27 posts, read 94,776 times
Could someone tell me more about Anchorage, KY? Is their newer homes in that area?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:59 PM

7,018 posts, read 15,159,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
X, how do you keep insisting that Manual is the best HS in KY. Do you have some data that the Kentucky Board of Education is either not releasing or possibly I am missing, even misinterpreting?
America's Top Public High Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18757087/?sort=Rank&count=1236&start=0&limit=100&year=2007& Search=ky - broken link)

The KY Board will confirm that Manual is far and away the best school for the brightest minds in KY. Mind you it is the best PUBLIC school. There are private schools that are as good or better. It is also among the best in the nation as public schools go. It is ranked 118 in the country based on number of AP classes taken per graduating seniors.

Talk Transcript: Mathews on Best High Schools - Newsweek America's Best High Schools - MSNBC.com (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:ATY-PMcnEWcJ:www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12553641/site/newsweek/+Top+SAT+scores+by+High+school+%5C&hl=en&ct=clnk&c d=1&gl=us - broken link)

An interesting talk on the methodology of the study above.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagal123 View Post
Could someone tell me more about Anchorage, KY? Is their newer homes in that area?
Anchorage, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The wikipedia article is right on the money. Please read it and follow the links, and read about Papa John's if you like

yes, there are several newer homes for sale there but they can be quite pricey. what is your price range? Many of the homes are historic rehabs of wealthy summer homes built from the 1880's-1930's. The new homes usually start around 400k and go up to 2 million or more. The most expensive home is Snyder's estate home, valued at some 15 million I believe.

Anchorage School (http://www.cityofanchorage.org/Anchorage_School/anchorage_school.html - broken link)

Old 09-23-2007, 02:51 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,532,545 times
If you are choosing to live in Anchorage, I would have to encourage you to look at Crestwood/Pewee Valley which is in Oldham County and less than 5 minutes difference in travel time to Bardstown. Oldham County schools are among the best rated in the nation. They are one of a very few school systems public or parochial that have fully electronic classrooms which utilize powerpoint and electronic overhead projection. In Kentucky, school districts use a property tax system for creating revenue. If you buy and live in Anchorage, you must pay 98.2 cents per 1000 of fair market value. Jefferson County is 61.5 and Oldham is 65.0 cents. If you purchase a home in Anchorage, you must be certain that the home is in the Anchorage school district as it is very often mistaken.

I pretty much maintain my postition that your best choices are Woodford County, Bardstown (city schools) or southern Oldham County. I recommend that you list a number of criteria that you can measure. Then using a golf scoring basis you will build a logical answer to what your emotions will wish.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:58 AM

Does anyone know how the traffic is from S. Oldham to Bardstown? Versailles to Bardstown? Also, is their any master planned neighborhoods in the areas?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know how the traffic is from S. Oldham to Bardstown? Versailles to Bardstown? Also, is their any master planned neighborhoods in the areas?
Your best investment is buying a home on the Oldham County side of this development:

Norton Commons

It is a wonderful master planned new urbanist community.

I have said it once and will say it again...based on your preferences Versailles is way too rural for you and Lexington is a much smaller metro area.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 AM

How are the schools in the Norton Commons area?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
How are the schools in the Norton Commons area?
Norton Commons will be building its own Catholic School, but I am not sure about elementary school. The community is in its infancy and only has around 500 of its planned 10-12,000. It is designed as completely walkable with nearly everything within walking of your home. I would contact them to see if they have any homes built in Oldham yet. The majority of the development is in Jefferson but it sraddles counties and stretches into Oldham. I believe these children would attend Oldham schools. So you would have the beauty of the best public school system in KY combined with a welcoming, planned, traditional neighborhood built with high quality architecure. Personally, I think the place is a mockery of the city, but if you must live in suburbia, this is the way to go. It seems to just have such a strong sense of community out there.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks for all of the information. The lots seem really small in Norton Commons. I would like at least a half acre. I have a large family and 2 dogs. I would feel like we were too close and noisy for the neighbors. Would you happen to know of any other neighborhoods in Oldham County that might interest us. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area