U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 AM

27 posts, read 94,681 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working in Bardstown. I need someone to give me some ideas of where to live. I need to have the best schools (public) and live in an area that has alot to offer. I'm a city girl and like easy access to all things. What area do you suggest that i look in? Louisville, Lexington,etc. We want to live in a place that makes commuting possible. Newer homes, safe, clean and of course good schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:58 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,508,026 times
What is your hubby's drive-time tolerance?

Old 09-22-2007, 08:58 AM

200 posts, read 887,107 times
You should look at these sites, I found them very informative...

Scorecard Home
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
GreatSchools.net

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:53 AM..

Old 09-22-2007, 09:05 AM

If he doesn't mind a 45 minute or so drive, I would look at Versailles and Woodford Co. Woodford is situated between Fayette (Lexington) and Franklin (Frankfort, the state capital.) You would be close to shopping in Lexington, and not too far from eastern Louisville (excellent shopping, dining, & medical area's) Lexington has a strong medical center, and some of the best educational campus's of the state are nearby to Woodford. Not only is the University of Kentucky situated in Lexington, but there are Centre, Georgetown, Transylvania, Kentucky State, and Midway nearby too. There is a modern 4-lane limited access highway between Versailles and Bardstown. Yeah, I am convinced... you need to look closely at Versailles.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:30 AM

Thanks tomocox! Do you know much about the schools? What about new neighborhoods? Looking to spend under $500,000. What about fitness centers, churches, etc.?

Old 09-22-2007, 10:09 AM

FLgal, I will need to defer to others on the specific issues you ask about, but Woodford County should have the tax base to provide a solid public educational system.

Here is the Woodford County Chamber website: Woodford County Chamber of Commerce, Kentucky

Old 09-22-2007, 11:28 AM

688 posts, read 2,880,952 times
Woodford County has a good, solid school system (their high school ranks as one of the top in KY, I believe). They also have a very nice and modern rec center with fitness facilities, as well as a range of housing that will easily fall within your budget.

My only concern would be your desire for a city environment. Woodford is definitely a rural county. Versailles is its largest town, and even it is not that big. It is also surrounded by farmland, although that is being developed. It is an easy drive to Lexington, but the immediate area of Versailles has just a handful of restaurants, a grocery store, a library, etc. For everything else (like malls, Target, upscale and ethnic restaurants, etc) you would need to drive into Lexington. A retail/shopping center that has been planned for years is finally getting some recent attention, so that could bring more to Versailles in the future.

Don't get me wrong - Versailles and Woodford Co are very nice places to live. But a big part of their appeal is their rural scenery and their smaller town vibe. If you want lots of shopping, dining, and entertainment options with a "city feel" right at your doorstep, you might not want to choose Versailles.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 PM

If we decide to look in Louisville area, what area would be the best for a commute to Bardstown and the best school district/neighborhoods? Thanks

Old 09-22-2007, 05:01 PM

Right now, due to the upheaval in the Jefferson County school system, there is no one who can honestly advise you of the best place to live. This summer's supreme court decision will cause big changes in the JCPS student assignment program.

That being said, I would say find a way to get into Eastern, Manual, or Ballard for public schools. Arguably, the best high school is Male Traditional, but it is a lottery school and hard for new residents to get in.

There are other good programs in Jefferson County, but the schools named above are the only ones that have a consistantly good reputation in all they do.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:17 PM

6,972 posts, read 15,092,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Right now, due to the upheaval in the Jefferson County school system, there is no one who can honestly advise you of the best place to live. This summer's supreme court decision will cause big changes in the JCPS student assignment program.

That being said, I would say find a way to get into Eastern, Manual, or Ballard for public schools. Arguably, the best high school is Male Traditional, but it is a lottery school and hard for new residents to get in.

There are other good programs in Jefferson County, but the schools named above are the only ones that have a consistantly good reputation in all they do.
Actually it is Manual High School, located minutes from downtown, that is far and away the best high school in the state. It is the highest rated by US News, it sends the most graduates to top schools, and has the highest number of AP classes and also the top ACT and SAT scores. Manual is especially impressive if your child may be gifted in arts, music, or science. Ballard and Eastern are right behind, and then South Oldham and Oldham in the suburbs are superb. I would rank Male along with Floyd Central in New Albany as the next tier in public high schools. So, find elementary and middle schools that "feed" into these schools. I would just call JCPS or check their website.

Louisville, as with any large city, has some really bad schools and some really good ones...its quite a broad spectrum. Louisville also has the most and best private schools around.

I think the top area for you to look is Anchorage, KY. The area is like living in a secluded Chicago-like railroad suburb, yet it is nesteld right in Jefferson County. It retains its own school district separate from Louisville's massive district. It is top rated for this, and the real estate in the town is pricey but very worth it. Plus, you have big city amenities right at your fingertips, and only a 40 minute commute to Bardstown via the Gene Snyder Freeway and Bardstown Rd. Versailles is nice but way too rural if you have city tastes plus the commute will be too long. Bardstown is part of Greater Louisville, so I would stay in this region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area