U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 02:56 PM

48 posts, read 117,724 times

Advertisements

HI all- Just have a question for Lousivillians. I've been wanting to relocate to the Louisville area for some time now, after numerous visits and research, I feel it would be an ideal spot for me to move to , to get away from the Wi climate and other negatives. Problem is I have applied for over 75 jobs in the area that I feel, based on my resume and experiences, that I would be a strong candidate for. Unfortunately, Ihave yet to even get a phone interviews from anyone I realize that I can't be offered every job, but cmon. Is the labor market just overflowing with thousands upon thousands of superior candidates, or am I just doing something wrong here? I'm not comfortable movign there w/o work, but this way sure isn;t working. Is it because I'm out of state? Maybe I'm being a bit naive here, but you;d think the powers that be there would be a bit flattered that an outsider would love to call their area home, rather than shut them out. I hate to think that I am "unworthy" to be a resident there.
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Like I said I don';t expect the red carpet preferential treatment, but I sure don;t like being deliberately snubbed either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 PM

688 posts, read 2,883,781 times
What is your field or professional area?

Often, in any job market, entry-level and non-professional jobs are readily filled with at-hand labor forces. It is simply easier to interview and hire a local candidate when you're looking for job skills that are readily available in your area.

For jobs that require more specialized skills or a professional/management position, then companies are more likely to look outside for candidates. If this is the case, then perhaps you can re-evaluate your resume or even hire a resume consultant to critique it. Also, keep in mind that often these positions are more about who you know than simply what you know - networking is the key. Without local contacts, you're unlikely to get the inside track on these jobs, so a key point would be to try to make contacts in your field in Louisville.

Also, keep in mind that hiring a non-local candidate can mean more $$$ that has to be spent on interview travel and relocation costs, and often companies are very picky about who they will spend those dollars on.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:18 AM

8 posts, read 52,352 times
Default In the same boat

Dear Turpinetine,
I am a native Louisvillian looking to move also. I am not sure what field you are in or your experience. I'm an "IT guy" at a very small company in Houston. I've been applying via job boards (careerbuilder, monster, etc). While I've gotten some initial calls from recruiters (none from direct employers), the feeling I have is they are waiting for me to move back before I'll truly be considered. I don't mean to be discouraging and the lack of interest may be in my failure to follow up with the recruiters outside of specific jobs although I've recently sent emails with a "move status update". All the recruiters said the same thing...great resume, don't think we'd have any problem finding you a job, keep us updated. So I kind of feel I get the brush off until my relocation is solid (which it is....week before Thanksgiving, GREAT time to move).
I get the feeling the Louisville job market for professionals is very competitive and for my level of work, most employers are looking at the local pool. Unemployment is a shade over 5% (I believe 5.6% in August which is above the national average-mid 4). I've never been told this directly by any recruiter. I do lack some confidence so it may just be my perception.
Also, "networking" is an issue when applying remotely. You and I have read the countless articles about "how this is the real way to get a job". I created a post a few weeks ago asking what networking opportunities are available in Louisville. Not one reply.
Third, the fourth quarter/holidays are not big hiring times according to friends. I've been told many companies wait until after to bring on new staff.

I don't know what your time table is but hang in there. I believe I read in a careerbuilder article, finding a job remotely can take twice as long as finding one locally.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:25 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,522,761 times
Default IT Guy, what is your specific backgound?

Are you Cobol and/or Java competent? If so, I know of several firms looking. Direct mail me.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 AM

4 posts, read 8,112 times
Turpentine I am having the same problem - and feel the same way you do.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:03 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,522,761 times
Folks, Louisville MSA is full of great opportunities in IT. While it is obvious that any communities local people will get first dibs on a job due to relocation expense and other employer/employee risks, if you have something to offer an employer, they will hire. What few employees realize is that employees are an expense to employers. In choosing a new employee, all employers want a person they can spend $ 1.00 to employ and get back $ 2.00 for every dollar invested. I assure you that if your resume' recognizes that fundemental rule, you will be a top candidate no matter where you currently live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area