Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,078 times

Advertisements

my daughter is in private school here in Louisville right now. She has been there 2 years. I am separating and cannot afford private school anymore and I don't volunteer enough with my parish for them to accept me on a stewardship basis. PLUS, I am not really sold on my parish and if I could afford it, I MIGHT be shopping around for another parish but that's a whole other story.

I registered my daughter for JCPS JUST TO SEE where she gets picked in the lottery. I already chose the 7 schools based on online reviews from other parents, former students, and general feel of their online websites, and proximity to my home. I am not willing to bus her across town so if she gets picked for one of the 3 (our of 7) that I would consider sending her to then I may be happy with that. Are they all that bad? Why does everyone roll their eyes when I mention or ask about JCPS system? Is it the bussing issue they have with it or is it something else someone doesn't want to discuss? Somehow I feel a sort of tension in the air when this conversation comes up.

Anyway, are there any other private schools in the Louisville area (I am on the East side) that are under $5000? They don't have to be Catholic as I am open. My other option is moving to Bloomington, IN. I see it goes by your zone school on where you live. I lived in Indianapolis for 8 years before and have visited Bloomington a few times and like the vibe.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessyrez View Post
my daughter is in private school here in Louisville right now. She has been there 2 years. I am separating and cannot afford private school anymore and I don't volunteer enough with my parish for them to accept me on a stewardship basis. PLUS, I am not really sold on my parish and if I could afford it, I MIGHT be shopping around for another parish but that's a whole other story.

I registered my daughter for JCPS JUST TO SEE where she gets picked in the lottery. I already chose the 7 schools based on online reviews from other parents, former students, and general feel of their online websites, and proximity to my home. I am not willing to bus her across town so if she gets picked for one of the 3 (our of 7) that I would consider sending her to then I may be happy with that. Are they all that bad? Why does everyone roll their eyes when I mention or ask about JCPS system? Is it the bussing issue they have with it or is it something else someone doesn't want to discuss? Somehow I feel a sort of tension in the air when this conversation comes up.

Anyway, are there any other private schools in the Louisville area (I am on the East side) that are under $5000? They don't have to be Catholic as I am open. My other option is moving to Bloomington, IN. I see it goes by your zone school on where you live. I lived in Indianapolis for 8 years before and have visited Bloomington a few times and like the vibe.

No they are not. My daughter is in JCPS and we couldn't be happier. Everyone on these forums tries to scare you into the fact that you will not get your zoned school. It is all mostly lies and race related fear mongering.

https://apps.jefferson.kyschools.us/...oolfinder.aspx

This pretty much with certainty tells you the school you are zoned for.

Tuition and Overview | Immaculata Classical Academy

This is the best school in the metro area for the money. While it is "catholic based" I think I like that it is more classical teaching. Latin, classical art, arithmetic, music, etc. There is a reason this is the way people learned for 2000 years, NOT common core!

The cost is right at 5 grand, but our friends love it there.

A move to Bloomington IN? While it is a nice town, you want to move to a tiny college town from a major metro area? I am not sure I would go to those measures, but that is me.

Another option would be Louisville's S. Indiana suburbs...Floyds Knobs, Harrison/Lanesville, and Sellersburg are all outstanding districts. Ditto for Oldham County, KY.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
No they are not. My daughter is in JCPS and we couldn't be happier. Everyone on these forums tries to scare you into the fact that you will not get your zoned school. It is all mostly lies and race related fear mongering.

https://apps.jefferson.kyschools.us/...oolfinder.aspx

This pretty much with certainty tells you the school you are zoned for.

Tuition and Overview | Immaculata Classical Academy

This is the best school in the metro area for the money. While it is "catholic based" I think I like that it is more classical teaching. Latin, classical art, arithmetic, music, etc. There is a reason this is the way people learned for 2000 years, NOT common core!

The cost is right at 5 grand, but our friends love it there.

A move to Bloomington IN? While it is a nice town, you want to move to a tiny college town from a major metro area? I am not sure I would go to those measures, but that is me.

Another option would be Louisville's S. Indiana suburbs...Floyds Knobs, Harrison/Lanesville, and Sellersburg are all outstanding districts. Ditto for Oldham County, KY.
I second the option for So.Indiana. Floyds Knobs is a great place to live and also has great schools. Same with Silver Creek and North Harrison.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
JCPS has schools that range from great to terrible. One issue is the best schools don't have a geographic boundary but are magnet schools where kids must test good enough to get admitted. An example is Dupont Manual which is over by U of L. If you can get your kid over there it's a great school. The amount of busing done generally means poor kids spend hours a day on a bus and schools in nice areas of town aren't as good as you'd expect.

As someone not from Louisville I would be scared of having a child in JCPS due to the lack of consistency, but I've known many locals that went to JCPS schools and had a good experience.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
JCPS has schools that range from great to terrible. One issue is the best schools don't have a geographic boundary but are magnet schools where kids must test good enough to get admitted. An example is Dupont Manual which is over by U of L. If you can get your kid over there it's a great school. The amount of busing done generally means poor kids spend hours a day on a bus and schools in nice areas of town aren't as good as you'd expect.

As someone not from Louisville I would be scared of having a child in JCPS due to the lack of consistency, but I've known many locals that went to JCPS schools and had a good experience.
There have been many successful people that are products of JCPS. I wouldn't say that I got a great academic education @ Ballard, but if you're in the advanced program I can see it being fine. I was put into the regular program because much like your situation, my dad got sick and they couldn't afford private school anymore, so in my Freshman year I went to 2 different schools and didn't have the grades to be in the advanced program. So, I got placed in the regular program which is basically 20% troubled whites and 80% inner city bussed kids. Once you're in the regular program, it's nearly impossible to get out.

The valuable education I got from this experience was one of a cultural variety. I had black friends from growing up and playing basketball at Hays-Kennedy Park in Prospect (and I went to JCPS for Elementary school and thought it was great), but had the typical (oh, stay away from the west end) stuff from local parents in the area. The experience I gained from learning about black life in the inner city was one I'll never forget. I had friends take me to Screaming Eagles before the Derby & parties at 28th @ Broadway and I wasn't treated poorly at all (despite some telling me I probably shouldn't hang around there at night...maybe they were looking out for me, who knows).

What it boils down to for me if I was a parent today is the distance of the school I was placed in from my home. I seriously felt awful for some of my friends who had to take 90 minute plus bus rides to get home, and once I hit driving age and got my first car, I would drive some of them back downtown so they could get home sooner. I understand trying to get a better education, but I'm not sure whether it has been successful or not.

As a former Bloomington resident as well, I can say that being single in Bloomington SUCKS. If that's something you're willing to sacrifice for your daughter, that's up to you, but I don't think JCPS is so awful that you'd need to consider it. B-ton is a great town if you're already coupled up, but the dating pool there of decently educated locals is super shallow.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post

The valuable education I got from this experience was one of a cultural variety. I had black friends from growing up and playing basketball at Hays-Kennedy Park in Prospect (and I went to JCPS for Elementary school and thought it was great), but had the typical (oh, stay away from the west end) stuff from local parents in the area. The experience I gained from learning about black life in the inner city was one I'll never forget. I had friends take me to Screaming Eagles before the Derby & parties at 28th @ Broadway and I wasn't treated poorly at all (despite some telling me I probably shouldn't hang around there at night...maybe they were looking out for me, who knows).

What it boils down to for me if I was a parent today is the distance of the school I was placed in from my home. I seriously felt awful for some of my friends who had to take 90 minute plus bus rides to get home, and once I hit driving age and got my first car, I would drive some of them back downtown so they could get home sooner. I understand trying to get a better education, but I'm not sure whether it has been successful or not.

With Jefferson Co being fairly integrated their is no need for long distance busing to insure a 90% of schools have some diversity. That's why JCPS baffles me. Most census tracts are at least 10% minority and you have 2 large areas that are 80%+ minority in the West End and Newburg area. We could have county subdivision school districts like Hamilton Co Ohio does and still have lots of diverse schools that would be community centered and thus not scare off most White middle and upper income parents.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:28 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Anecdotally speaking, my Wife is an administrator in a hands-on position in Oldham Co. She wanted to make the jump to JCPS due to the higher salary she would receive. In her circle of friends and work associates, the ones who are in JCPS currently are the ones who are telling her to avoid it like the plague. That is an "insider" view that seems to be prevalent from administrators to teachers. Take that for what you will . . . There was a high-level administrator in JCPS who just left due to being uneasy with the "coverup" of everything. His letter to the board made all the 6:00pm news. Google the text of Dewey Hensley's resignation letter. I use him as an example because my Wife knew him personally and all people who do know that individual know him to be a hard-working, honest-to-a-fault individual. Again, just relating our version of JCPS. I am glad I do not have to worry about this stuff anymore.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:43 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
I cant edit my previous post. So, I would like to add that the stuff I put about JCPS is in no way meant to cast negativity on the many hardworking people who are employed by the district. Teaching/educating is a thankless job that burns the people who care out proportionately with how much they put into their work. JCPS has many great an caring individuals within their system. It is that "system" that I opine on. I do not think the way the system is set up is in everyone's best interest. Not a big Hargan fan either, but thats not for this thread . . .

Old 03-13-2016, 10:40 AM

169 posts, read 168,857 times
I'm from and grew up in Louisville and went to public school for grade/middle school and private for high school. Public schools are hit or miss and probably the best are like duPont Manual and possibly Louisville Male, maybe Ballard.....outside of that, I'd get a second job and keep my kid in private school. Your kid will thank you later

Old 03-13-2016, 10:47 AM

169 posts, read 168,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessyrez View Post

Also, many of the private schools provide financial aid based on need (again, know from experience. my mother was single) so if she's a good student (or even better has any lick of athleticism) they'll find a way to keep her there. Really hound the financial aid offices. Also try to talk to neighbors who have kids. Now granted, the way the East end tend to work is that most of the kids go to the private schools which is why few of your neighbors may have a kid in public school and why the public high schools are crazy "diverse" compared to the neighborhoods in the east end

(disclosure: I went to Meyzeek Middle and then St. X and thank my mother and St. X for keeping me there. alot of doors opened for me because of that green and gold and I'm sure the same is true for girls who go to Sacred Heart and Assumption)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area