U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,548 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Good Morning!


My husband and I are re-locating to Louisville from St. Paul in 3 weeks. It was a very sudden move, so we unfortunately will not be able to visit Louisville before moving.

We are young newlyweds (25 years old) that are very use to the "Minnesota Nice" attitude. (Very friendly neighbors, people say hi when you walk by, etc.) We currently live in the city of St. Paul in a very old neighborhood that has a nice mixture of young couples and retired individuals. Very safe and is close to the Mississippi river with a lot of walking trails for our 2 dogs.

We'd like to keep something similar to that. My husband will be working in very southeastern Louisville (between the Ohio River and Jefferson Memorial Forest.)

We'd like to spend between $1000-$1500 on a rental (preferably a house or something with a yard.) He is willing to commute 25 minutes. Most importantly, I want to be in a safe place where I can walk the dogs by myself at anytime of day.

I'd be willing to look both in the city and in the suburbs. I was looking at the Highlands, Deer Park, Seneca Gardens. Are all areas of those neighborhoods nice? I was also looking at an area South of Gene Snyder Fwy near Bardstown Rd. What is that area like?

Thanks for any input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Anchorage, KY
242 posts, read 361,257 times
Reputation: 148
The Highlands is very much like where you're living now and would certainly be a great fit for you! There are certainly places available in the price range you mentioned but finding them is kind of hit and miss. Sometimes there are quite a few available and sometimes not many. You'll just have to do some searching. Seneca Gardens also would probably meet your needs quite well although in general it doesn't have quite as much of a neighborhood feeling. Deer park because of its location near 2 universities, has quite a few more rental units. With this will come more college students which may or may not be what you're looking for.

There are certainly many other areas that meet your criteria but you've certainly done well identifying some great places to start looking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM
 
Location: downtown phoenix
1,201 posts, read 1,668,659 times
Reputation: 1932
deer park is actually a neighborhood in the greater area that is considered the highlands. cherokee triangle is another. I love it. the area south of the watterson is safe and nice but lacking in amenities compared to the highlands. I tell everyone coming here to go to the highlands. it's one of the coolest neighborhoods in any city i've been to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
9,996 posts, read 5,538,864 times
Reputation: 18217
8802 Chetwood Trace Drive, Louisville KY - Trulia
10200 Lost Tree Court, Louisville KY - Trulia
609 Fenley Avenue, Louisville KY - Trulia
16516 Taunton Vale Road, Louisville KY - Trulia
10709 Providence Drive, Louisville KY - Trulia
1947 Eastview Avenue, Louisville KY - Trulia
17321 Seven Green Lane, Louisville KY - Trulia
439 Spring Lake Court, Louisville KY - Trulia

The Highlands and Cherokee Park areas are great. The above are some homes that use to be in decent areas
(at least when I lived in Lousivlle, but have been away since 1987 so not one hundred percent for sure anymore.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
9,996 posts, read 5,538,864 times
Reputation: 18217
Oops I am sorry, just saw that you like very old neighborhoods, I think I gave you links to newer homes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 PM
 
7,003 posts, read 15,143,963 times
Reputation: 3432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
1987? With all due respect, the city is unrecognizable compared to then. I used to travel through there often in the early 90's and can tell you the city of Louisville was not the best place. The river was a scrapyard and downtown was surrounded by decay and projects on all sides. I am sure the suburbs were nice.

Now, the city is bustling with young professionals and retirees alike. The projects around downtown are all gone now, the only ones being in the West End now. The is a flourishing arts and restaurant scene. It has been recently ranked a top 10 city for both retirees and young professionals. Pro sports are the major amenity lacking.

To the OP, the Highlands best fits what you are looking for. There are at least a dozen neighborhoods in the Highlands which is a massive area.
The Highlands of Louisville, KY USA home page
Based on what you are saying, I think the Cherokee Triangle section of the Highlands is most ideal for you. Try to get as close to Cherokee Park as possible, but don't get too far off Bardstown Road so you can walk to everything.

You will like Louisville. It is actually somewhat similar to St. Paul but much warmer, and of course there is no twin city which makes it a much smaller metro (1/2 the size of Mpls-StPaul metro). Louisville is the "baby" city to Cincinnati, 90 minutes or less down the road.
www.new2lou.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 AM
 
3,463 posts, read 5,107,509 times
Reputation: 7170
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
deer park is actually a neighborhood in the greater area that is considered the highlands. cherokee triangle is another. I love it. the area south of the watterson is safe and nice but lacking in amenities compared to the highlands. I tell everyone coming here to go to the highlands. it's one of the coolest neighborhoods in any city i've been to.


Cant be stressed enough. Im a Deer Park'r, and think there is a place in the Highlands for anybody. This is a great place. I almost feel that I shouldnt post this stuff because I dont want the secret to get out and have a developer from Jersey come in an 'improve' us. Really, the Highlands--cant go too far wrong, no matter what. One caveat, check out the rental situation. We are being assaulted by absentee investors who specifically target college students. Not surpisingly, college students mean lots of quality-of-life issues, But, other than that, the Highlands is a fabulous neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
9,996 posts, read 5,538,864 times
Reputation: 18217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
1987? With all due respect, the city is unrecognizable compared to then. I used to travel through there often in the early 90's and can tell you the city of Louisville was not the best place. The river was a scrapyard and downtown was surrounded by decay and projects on all sides. I am sure the suburbs were nice.

Now, the city is bustling with young professionals and retirees alike. The projects around downtown are all gone now, the only ones being in the West End now. The is a flourishing arts and restaurant scene. It has been recently ranked a top 10 city for both retirees and young professionals. Pro sports are the major amenity lacking.

To the OP, the Highlands best fits what you are looking for. There are at least a dozen neighborhoods in the Highlands which is a massive area.
The Highlands of Louisville, KY USA home page
Based on what you are saying, I think the Cherokee Triangle section of the Highlands is most ideal for you. Try to get as close to Cherokee Park as possible, but don't get too far off Bardstown Road so you can walk to everything.

You will like Louisville. It is actually somewhat similar to St. Paul but much warmer, and of course there is no twin city which makes it a much smaller metro (1/2 the size of Mpls-StPaul metro). Louisville is the "baby" city to Cincinnati, 90 minutes or less down the road.
www.new2lou.com

It does sound like Louisville has certainly changed a lot. I visit often, and last time we were there, we
went through the old neighborhood, and hardly recognized it. Was shocked to hear that some of my
favorite old haunts - Showcase Cinema and Kingfish across from it were gone. I have heard that they have done some great things with the downtown area also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 PM
 
7,003 posts, read 15,143,963 times
Reputation: 3432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
It does sound like Louisville has certainly changed a lot. I visit often, and last time we were there, we
went through the old neighborhood, and hardly recognized it. Was shocked to hear that some of my
favorite old haunts - Showcase Cinema and Kingfish across from it were gone. I have heard that they have done some great things with the downtown area also.
Haha, yeah those places closed while I lived there about 8 years ago. Actually, the area around Goldsmith lane is not the best area right now IMO. Apparently Kingfish still exists on the river near Zorn, but I tend to wonder who goes there now with Louisville's highly advanced restaurant scene.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 05:13 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,548 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you so much for all of your input! Just curious, is downtown nice? We were thinking of also looking into renting condos, specifically the Henry Clay or the Fleur de Lis building? It looks as if there is a waterfront park is that nice to walk along?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top