U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,080,798 times

Advertisements

The more research we do, the more confused I get sometimes! We thought we had narrowed our search to Northern KY especially the Union/Florence area. It had all we were looking for. Closeness to a big city, rolling hills, demographics and economics matched what we were looking for, and then most importantly, high percentage of great schools that had great scores! Did a crazy 400 mile two day visit, came away with a "Yes" we definately love Ky terrain, home style and value, and especially the people. "But" we didn't find those charming towns along side those beautiful housing communities we were looking for. More strip malls, than towns.

So now I am asking for help again. We are now looking at Oldham county, since there school scores across the board are also awesome, seems to have everything else we like too, but don't know anything about any of the charm, or towns [if any], so we will take any advice we can get. We will be looking in the 250K and below range for a home. Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 AM

7,021 posts, read 15,343,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
The more research we do, the more confused I get sometimes! We thought we had narrowed our search to Northern KY especially the Union/Florence area. It had all we were looking for. Closeness to a big city, rolling hills, demographics and economics matched what we were looking for, and then most importantly, high percentage of great schools that had great scores! Did a crazy 400 mile two day visit, came away with a "Yes" we definately love Ky terrain, home style and value, and especially the people. "But" we didn't find those charming towns along side those beautiful housing communities we were looking for. More strip malls, than towns.

So now I am asking for help again. We are now looking at Oldham county, since there school scores across the board are also awesome, seems to have everything else we like too, but don't know anything about any of the charm, or towns [if any], so we will take any advice we can get. We will be looking in the 250K and below range for a home. Thanks again!

Your first mistake was looking at Florence. It is indeed a strip mall hell, and not even an upcale one at that.

Oldham County is much more quaint, albeit more country. The county doesn't even have its own mall. I would look at Goshen, Crestwood, Prospect, and La Grange. All are much more charming and quaint than anything in NKY. The schools are also as good or better (two nationally ranked high schools), and Oldham is the best school district in the state overall. The county is starting to draw a lot of people from the Great Lakes and the coasts...I just hope it doesn't sprawl too much as the roads are inadequate. All major shopping is in Jefferson County.

That said, look at Anchorage. It is upscale, charming, and has its own public school even though it is located in Jefferson County, which is one of the nation's largest school districts with 100,000 students. Jefferson County actually has great magnet schools but you have to avoid the really poor ones.

The best area in metro Louisville is the Highlands, and I think it is truly one of the best all around neighborhoods in the country, and I am quite well traveled. The reason I say this is it combines an upscale turn of the century streetcar suburb with a Olmstead designed park, eclectic shopping, upscale dining, and antiques for miles ALL while being relatively cheap (compared to coasts and north) and family friendly as well as young professional friendly. In fact, many upper middle class families can and DO live right in the city and it is safe and family friendly. You will see hip young families walking to a Chocolate Cafe and passing by teens going to a record store or indie kids going to a tattoo parlor. At the same time, there is a Catholic or Presbyterian Church on about every corner. Oh, and tons of unique stores, hardly any chains here. Look at streets like Alta Vista, Cherokee Road, and Broadmeade. Bardstown is the commercial corridor. You will see what I mean. Nearby, you have the family friendly venues like Lakeside on Trevillian Way.

These are my first recs, PM me for more.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:31 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,173,216 times
Stx is right about the highlands - charming and really mostly a pedestrian community. The only negatives for us is that most homes have three levels with the bedrooms upstairs and the laundry in the basement. That may not be a negative for you, but it is for us nearly retired folks (we could handle the stairs now but probably not in 10 years).....would love to find a house with a main floor master and laundry....it is such a great area and the neighborhoods are exactly the kind that appeal to us.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:09 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,610,132 times
K., I am so sorry for your disappointment in finding quaint, but having lived in Louisville and Oldham County since 1989, and western Kentucky for 37 years prior, I don't think I or anyone else could describe "charm" for you as I feel that is a totally personal definition only you and your family can exclaim, but that being said, I would love to help you with all that I know about Oldham County. Yet, I don't claim to be an Oldham County expert. So, if I can help you, without obligation, as a Realtor, property owner, and resident of Oldham County, please feel free to call me. If you choose to call me, I assure you that I will not "sell" you on using the services of my firm, but rather, I will attempt to answer specific questions which now require that qualified responses must fit you personally. You have been clothes shopping until now, but now we need to check sizes, pick some favorite styles, and even see how they fit. My office number is 502-243-8303.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,561,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Your first mistake was looking at Florence. It is indeed a strip mall hell, and not even an upcale one at that.
Agree completely.

Quote:
Oldham County is much more quaint, albeit more country. The county doesn't even have its own mall. I would look at Goshen, Crestwood, Prospect, and La Grange.
Again, agree completely.

Quote:
That said, look at Anchorage. It is upscale, charming, and has its own public school even though it is located in Jefferson County, which is one of the nation's largest school districts with 100,000 students.
I love Anchorage, but their budget may preclude that area. (Although if you're going to get a bargain, now is the time.) Also, I think the taxes in Anchorage are relatively high due to the excellent school system.

Quote:
The best area in metro Louisville is the Highlands, and I think it is truly one of the best all around neighborhoods in the country, and I am quite well traveled.
More good advice. More crowded and urban as you say, but no question that area has a real Bohemian charm.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 PM

Thumbs up Thanks again as usual for all the great info!

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the great tips [as usual, your all a big help!]. I am coming your way again in about 2 1/2 weeks. This time by myself and plan on covering a lot more ground zig zagging around. As Tomocox pointed out "You have been clothes shopping until now, but now we need to check sizes, pick some favorite styles, and even see how they fit." Your right, basically I have been window shopping, but now I am going in! Checked out Anchorage [thanks stx], your right, does sound perfect, but unfortunately it also looks like it's a bit out of our range [like way out from the look of it darn it], but have found a few possibles in Prospect, and a bunch by River Bluff, Goshen, Crestwood, and La Grange. Prefer to live about 20-30 minutes outside the "Big City", so the southern and eastern end of Jefferson County along with the western end of Oldham so far seem to be what we are looking for. I will check out the Highlands, but just looking at it on a map makes one think it might be to close to the Big City? Really look forward to seeing it all in person! Any other suggestions feel free to send them to me directly or post them here. Ciao.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,561,135 times
The Highlands has a nice, almost country or small town feel to it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I think you are going to be much more impressed with these areas than Florence, but that might just be local pride talking. I'll be very interested to hear your reactions.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,343,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the great tips [as usual, your all a big help!]. I am coming your way again in about 2 1/2 weeks. This time by myself and plan on covering a lot more ground zig zagging around. As Tomocox pointed out "You have been clothes shopping until now, but now we need to check sizes, pick some favorite styles, and even see how they fit." Your right, basically I have been window shopping, but now I am going in! Checked out Anchorage [thanks stx], your right, does sound perfect, but unfortunately it also looks like it's a bit out of our range [like way out from the look of it darn it], but have found a few possibles in Prospect, and a bunch by River Bluff, Goshen, Crestwood, and La Grange. Prefer to live about 20-30 minutes outside the "Big City", so the southern and eastern end of Jefferson County along with the western end of Oldham so far seem to be what we are looking for. I will check out the Highlands, but just looking at it on a map makes one think it might be to close to the Big City? Really look forward to seeing it all in person! Any other suggestions feel free to send them to me directly or post them here. Ciao.
People often associate density and old homes with ghetto. That is just not the case in Louisville. the Highlands is certainly dense. Some streets are so crowded its even hard to park on the street. The reason I am so fond of the Highlands is it is literally an area where young well to do families mix with urban professionals and young teenagers who like indie records and tattoos. It is 100% safe, often safer and nicer than most suburbs of large cities (LA is a prime example). The area around Cherokee Park and Lexington Road is a gem. I guess what I am trying to say is that unless you REALLY love the country, it is worth at least looking at Louisville's urban neighborhoods. I wouldn't call the Highlands "country" but I think what Offtopic means is that the area thinks and acts a bit like a small village with a LOT of vibrancy! It is so great to see cars lined up, people walking and running down the road, waiting for the bus, or walking to the park or coffee...teenagers, families, and young urban professionals alike!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:02 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,610,132 times
My personal opinion. If occupational issues are not a part of the equation, I love Carrollton, although there are some very good employment opportunities there too. It is just a simple lifestyle community high over the Ohio River.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM

Smile Follow-up-incoming

Thanks for those insights, like I mentioned, I am now about 2 weeks away from seeing your beautiful area [and by the way I am really looking forward to it]. I agree with STX and Cattknap I will probably be pleasantly surprised at some of the other closer area's to Louisville [which I personally would prefer if we can afford it, so as to be closer to work options], Carollton would not be a option for us, but area's like that might be a option for my in-laws who also want to follow us out to stay near us and our kids [how lucky are we eh?] and since they will be retired completely in just a couple of years, they will have more options to look at. Already my father-in-law has been sending me lots of homes that he is checking out for both himself and us. I think they want even more rural and near water for their ideal location. Plus they will have a bit more equity to play with than us.

They would probably like Anchorage from what you describe, since they too love to walk locally and antique shop. So thanks again and keep it coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area