Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

I've never stopped in Louisville, but I do enjoy driving on the interstate through the heart of downtown. It's got a nice urban core for the downtown area with plenty of scenic skyline buildings, and being on the river makes it look that much nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 PM

142 posts, read 731,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You don't seem to understand. The types of folks who create jobs, who move jobs...they need to be lured to a city. They are being lured to cities who are environmentally friendly, safe, business friendly, progressive, and have good food and art scenes. The internet is equaling the playing field. In the next 10 years, over half the jobs out there will not require a physical prescence, but a virtual one. People, highly educated ones, will be able to choose where they want to live. Family will play a role but many will move to areas with the combination of best weather they enjoy and amenities/entertainment. Louisville MUST dream to produce that scene while being authentic to itself.

Louisville fits many of those categories and it needs amenities like better shopping and NBA teams to get those folks who wouldn't even consider a VISIT to Louisville, much less a move, to know about it. Thunderkat found Louisville by searching online (from what it sounds) for a hip, artistic city. It is these types of creatives who create jobs, renovate old buildings, and build the kind of city that everyone wants to live in.

Case in point. A new Chipotle franchise is going in downtown. The naysayers will say, great another 30 minimum wage jobs. But I look at it as someone, an entrepreneur, possibly from outside the region, has noticed Louisville and wanted to compete in its great foodie environment, even with all the competition.
Sir,

You are absolutely correct. I don't understand why you keep interrupting my posts directed at someone
else. In this particular case, my comment was directed at Thunderkat. Did I break any forum rules? Are you attempting to bias this forum? Are my views wrong? Am I wasting my time here?

Thank you...

Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladulcemusica View Post
I just moved here and am pleasantly surprised at how much there is to do, especially compared to the rest of Kentucky. I am a little concerned about the enviromental aspect, as our apartment complex does not recycle. I am planning on taking in my recycling but am confused as to whether or not I need to separate my recycling, and also if plastic bags (like from the grocery store) can be recycled... The website is a little unclear on the first point and the second is clearly stated on the website but I find it hard to believe! This will force me to remember to take the canvas bags out I guess. : )
The entire city has a city wide recycling program. They even supplied me with an orange bin for free when I lived there. Not sure about the suburbs, though. Where do you live? You are correct...Louisville is 3 times as large as Lexington, especiialy when you count the S Indiana burbs.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post
Sir,

You are absolutely correct. I don't understand why you keep interrupting my posts directed at someone
else. In this particular case, my comment was directed at Thunderkat. Did I break any forum rules? Are you attempting to bias this forum? Are my views wrong? Am I wasting my time here?

Thank you...
Not sure how you can interrupt posts. All views are welcome here as long as there is no trolling, name calling, or personal attacks. You are a valuable poster here.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM

142 posts, read 731,508 times
Quote:
Not sure how you can interrupt posts. All views are welcome here as long as there is no trolling, name calling, or personal attacks. You are a valuable poster here.
I do believe I abide by the rules, and I try not to be too outrageous in my posts. Just trying to contribute something.

Have a nice Holiday.

Cheers...

Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I've never stopped in Louisville, but I do enjoy driving on the interstate through the heart of downtown. It's got a nice urban core for the downtown area with plenty of scenic skyline buildings, and being on the river makes it look that much nicer.
Stop and stay at the 21C hotel next time and check things out. I love that place!

Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Stop and stay at the 21C hotel next time and check things out. I love that place!
Sounds expensive.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Sounds expensive.
Indeed but worth it. The same caliber hotel in NYC or Miami goes for 800-1000 a night. An off night at the 21C and you can get a suite for 150-200, although on busy nights they can range 300-500.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
this city has miles to go regarding environmental issues. the reason for this is the attitudes of the vast majority of it's citizens. I see at least ten to twenty "friends of coal" liscense plates a day. I would estimate that 60-70 % of the people I know, some of who are highly educated, still deny anything to do with climate change. The coal lobby is very strong in this state and is very skilled at controlling the populace and their thoughts regarding climate change.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
this city has miles to go regarding environmental issues. the reason for this is the attitudes of the vast majority of it's citizens. I see at least ten to twenty "friends of coal" liscense plates a day. I would estimate that 60-70 % of the people I know, some of who are highly educated, still deny anything to do with climate change. The coal lobby is very strong in this state and is very skilled at controlling the populace and their thoughts regarding climate change.
kytiaz, that is a good point. It is a fairly green city for its region, and it is building alot of LEED bldgs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area