Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM

69 posts, read 207,896 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about Louisville - well not NOTHING, but very little. I've been there a handful of times, but could potentially be moving there. I need help choosing a neighborhood. I'm 28, single, and have a large dog. My top priority is that it be safe and my second is that it's convenient. Ideally I want to be close to parks, restaurants, bars, and things of that nature. I don't want to be in the middle of downtown, but something with more of a laid back vibe where there are things to do and I can feel comfortable walking my dog down the street.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Highlands come to mind. Maybe St. Matthews?
Cherokee Park maybe.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM

27 posts, read 46,004 times
St Matthews, the Highlands, Crescent Hill

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMRE View Post
I know nothing about Louisville - well not NOTHING, but very little. I've been there a handful of times, but could potentially be moving there. I need help choosing a neighborhood. I'm 28, single, and have a large dog. My top priority is that it be safe and my second is that it's convenient. Ideally I want to be close to parks, restaurants, bars, and things of that nature. I don't want to be in the middle of downtown, but something with more of a laid back vibe where there are things to do and I can feel comfortable walking my dog down the street.

Ideas?
You are in luck. Craigslist now has a map feature. I agree with the above posters. Where are you moving from?

I would look at a map and move to as close to Cherokee Park and Bardstown Rd as you can.

louisville apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Fabulous Renovation On This 1920s Apartment, Garage, Hardwood

Anywhere close to that listing and you are golden.

also, a website for new young professionals to the city:

New2Lou

PM me with more specifics such as price range, planned moving date, etc, and perhaps I could help.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 AM

9 posts, read 28,947 times
Highlands for sure. I'm 27 with a medium/large dog and currently live in St. Matthews, but I drive pretty much every day to Cherokee Park in the Highlands to walk her. I'm also a culture junkie so if we were renting long-term I'd want to live there (we're buying and every house in the Highlands that was in our price range was a fixer-upper, and we're not handy!)

Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
look no further than the highlands. it has everything you listed and more.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks guys! I'm definitely moving. Currently I live in southeastern Kentucky and I'll be commuting to Shepherdsville everyday. I know very little about Louisville. Even though I'm from Kentucky I never had a reason to go there very often - Nashville and Lexington were both closer. So, fill me in. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Aside from Craigslist - where else should I be looking for an apartment?

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:32 PM

27 posts, read 46,004 times
You can also check for apts on padmapper.com, which is great to use because it shows you the properties on a map.
I've been spoiled by never having to drive more than 20 minutes commute no matter where I've worked. I don't know what type of commute time you'd have to Shepherdsville, esp. if you were coming from the Highlands area.

GOOD
Arts scene (theatre, ballet, orchestra, etc)
Locally owned restaurants
Low housing/rental rates

BAD
Public school system
Summer weather
Others may have differing opinions, but I'm not crazy about race relations here. There is a lot of segregation.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 PM

I lived in Cincinnati for 3 years so I know all about race relations. It's the most segregated city I've ever lived. And not just racially segregated - very Kentucky v. Ohio and East side v. West side. It was insane - especially to an outsider.

What about a good gym near the Highlands? I love to swim laps and do Zumba. I know there's the YMCA, but is there anything cheaper? Also, what neighborhoods or areas should I avoid?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMRE View Post
I lived in Cincinnati for 3 years so I know all about race relations. It's the most segregated city I've ever lived. And not just racially segregated - very Kentucky v. Ohio and East side v. West side. It was insane - especially to an outsider.

What about a good gym near the Highlands? I love to swim laps and do Zumba. I know there's the YMCA, but is there anything cheaper? Also, what neighborhoods or areas should I avoid?
Louisville has substantially better race relations than Cincy, and is very racially integrated for a southern city. For example, there are very few southern cities with such a racially and socioeconomically diverse neighborhood as Old Louisville. On the same block, I know for a fact there are million dollar single family homes, single mom students using section 8 vouchers, Indian exchange workers renting efficiency's for grad school at UL or the tech program at Humana, along side a high income gay couple in a 1/2 million dollar condo.

Interracial relationships in Louisville are very common. Race is a complete non issue in Louisville and it is no differently segregated than any major city in America.

There is no where to avoid except parts of the west end.

For gyms, there are a couple boutique gyms in the Highlands proper and while they are very nice, neither one has a large pool. Lakeside swim club, located in the Highlands, is for big time serious swimmers and has a section open year round. They also have a nice gym. However, the club can be difficult to gain membership to because of the high demand and its location in a dense urban residential area.

Likely the most popular gym with all the amenities you seek is the Urban Active (now being bought by LA Fitness) on Shelybville Rd in St. Matthews, a less than 10 min drive from the Highlands if you drive along Cherokee Rd and along Seneca Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area