Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 AM

13 posts, read 38,924 times

Advertisements

Hi! Thought I'd try to solicit a few opinions from the Louisville crowd. My wife and I (50-somethings) are pondering a move to Louisville from Akron, Ohio. It's part 'business-venture-related' and part 'personal'. I'm a small-busines owner who primarily works out of the house, and my wife is semi-retired, and an artist. We have some family in Nashville and St. Louis, and combined with all of the family here in Ohio, L-ville seems like a nice place to be able to at least be within 'driving distance' to everyone.

We'd like to try to find a nice home (house or condo) in the below $150,000-range. (I know that doesn't sound like a huge budget, but we've always believed....and have always found...that good deals can happen just about anywhere!) We don't have children, but, obviously, 'school district' plays into it. (we've lived in PA, MD, IL, and TN, so we know how important it is!) We're used to older, Colonial-type places, similar to the generous housing stock here in northeast Ohio (hardwood floors, basement, garage...some 'character'!), but are not 'married' to any particular style. We've visited Louisville on a number of occasions, and we have friends who live in the area (Audubon Park).

With that in mind....any 'neighborhood' suggestions? We're open to a number of things, whether it's 'in the city', or beyond 265. (as long as it's not, like, an hour to the Yum Center!)

Also, if you have any particular opinions of 'KY vs Indiana", I'd like to hear them. (I notice on Zillow that 'New Albany' has some beautiful, affordable older homes)

(oh...and being within reasonable driving distance to Roosters, on Preston Highway, the official home of the 'Derby City Browns Backers", wouldn't be a bad thing, either!)

Thanks for the info!

Winwahoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 AM

218 posts, read 481,294 times
Winwahoo,

I have lived in New Albany as well as Louisville. Indiana has a slower pace and, when I first moved here, reminded me of my hometown in Tennessee with a few rolling hills and quaint historic downtowns in the neighboring cities of Jeffersonville and Clarksville. However, I do not want to commute across either the Kennedy or I-64 bridge for work because traffic during rush hour is horrendous. But, if you continue to work at home that will not be an issue for you. Also, my take on southern Indiana is that it is occupied by low to lower middle class citizens who travel to Louisville because that is the only place to find a decent job in this area. (That being said, there are some very nice neighborhoods nestled 5-10 minutes farther north of New Albany in the Floyds Knobs area.)

Although Louisville is trying to revamp its downtown what with building new apartments and condos, the fact is that there is not alot "residental friendly" aspects of the downtown. For example, not alot of cabs to take you to the grocery store,parking garages charge an outragious amount because there is limited parking streetside, there will be a ghetto block next to brand new townhomes, homeless shelters next to condos, and only two grocery stores that I know of in the downtown.

If you are looking for a home with "character" in an area that your artistic wife would thrive, I recommend the Highlands, Deer Park, St. Regis Park, and St. Matthews. Most of the homes are older and have unique touches. However, they might need a bit of updating, but will be in your price range. The housing market and economy in Louisville never really went through a recession so the prices are pretty fair, but check for foreclosures.

The Highlands and Deer park area is known for being the "artsy" part of Louisville with quite a few art galleries and locally owned and operated shops. Also, some of the best restaurants in Louisville are in this area. As for the St. Regis park and St. Matthews area, this is much more family oriented with schools clustered all through these neighborhoods. My parents live in between these two areas and absolutely love it. The demographics are either families or retirees. Also, you are close to the "action" of downtown, but not entirely surrounded by it. Homes sell very quickly in this area so act fast if you find one that you love.

Hope this helps on your seach,
Southernbelle20

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM

It does help, 'Belle.....thank you!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winwahoo View Post
It does help, 'Belle.....thank you!

Discover | New2Lou

Above are listed the neighborhoods you should explore. The site lists, Portland, and while cool, I think it is currently more an area for "starving artists" and urban pioneers, not middle aged folks in relocation.

You should also look at downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville, IN. Both are undergoing an AMAZING renaissance, especially in New Albany with restaurants, and the homes are beautiful, historic, and cheap while being safe. Another neighborhood not listed in the link above is Beechmont in Louisville. Along with Beechmont, St Matthews, Jeffersonville, and New Albany, these are all "inner ring" suburbs of Louisville. Think Berea or Lakewood or University Heights/Cleveland Heights, but much safer and much closer to downtown.

The Highlands is great, and is a HUUUUGE area compoesed of around 12 subneighborhoods. You are going to be priced out of most of them with the exception of parts of Tyler Park and the Original Highlands. The nicest historic areas are closest to Cherokee Parks. For the Highlands, think historic and liberal like Tremont, but much more developed (er gentrified?), safer, and upscale than anything I have seen in Cleveland.

PM me with any questions. Cheers!

Regarding downtown Louisville, I completely disagree with the above S. Indiana based poster. I think downtown Louisville is very similar to downtown Cleveland but, because it is much smaller, it is more cleaned up with less crime and urban decay nearby. It has all the high end food, dining, and arts and culture you could ask for, not all too different from Cleveland. However, housing units in downtown proper are currently almost all priced over 150,000. That has been the knock on the area, but apparently there a a few more developments in the worse with some more affordable housing in downtown proper.

You will love Louisville. In many respects, its what Cleveland could have been before its decline....Louisville's parks are as good as MetroParks. Both towns have good zoos, excellent arts and restaurants. Its just that Louisville has a much healthier housing market, growth, and economy and of course better weather. You will miss the pro sports in Cleveland and the better transit system, but perhaps you can adopt some of the local college teams in Louisville. You will likely run into many fellow Ohioans in the areas, especially if you reach out to them online.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 PM

797 posts, read 2,326,795 times
I would second (third maybe?) taking a look at downtown New Albany. Although you have no kids, the schools really aren't bad there and for resale value I think a lot of people balk at Louisville proper due to recent instability with the busing and people not knowing what school their kids would attend. New Albany has also been improving a lot lately and you might get a much better deal for your money than in the Highlands. There may be more available options in the Highlands because it's a larger area, but it can also be much more congested and frustrating to get around.

New Albany doesn't have the quantity of options that Louisville can offer, but it has a variety of local restaurant options and stores in the downtown area, historic buildings, a winery, and outdoor space along the river while still maintaining a bit of a small town feel and a slower pace. It's also less than 10 minutes from downtown Louisville and everything it offers. If you work primarily from home, you wouldn't even have to worry about busy traffic times across the bridge. I live up the hill a bit and spend a fair amount of time in New Albany and Louisville and don't have any trouble getting into the city outside of morning rush hour. Even then it's easier than coming down I-65 and probably quicker to get into downtown than from many parts of Louisville.

My wife is a Buckeye as well and I graduated from OSU so we make plenty of trips to Columbus and other parts of Ohio. It's not a bad drive as long as things aren't backed up in Cincinnati.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 AM

165 posts, read 307,805 times
Welcome! I'm a Buckeye myself - grew up on the east side of Columbus, and have been in Louisville for about 6 years after a stint in VA and DC. My wife and I have totally fallen in love with Louisville. I still don't understand why the locals think they have a football team, but...

Some of the neighborhoods south/southeast of the Highlands are nice and might work - Seneca Gardens, Strathmoor, Hawthorne; generally the area of Dutchmans Ln./Taylorsville Rd/Bardstown Rd. I'd also second the suggestion of Beechmont. Most homes in Clifton/Crescent Hill are above your price range, but if you don't mind a smaller home (2BR, probably shotgun layout) you might be able to find one. I live in Crescent Hill, and I love it - all the homes have great historic character, and the neighborhood is lush and walkable.

You're going to have a hard time finding anything in your price range from St. Matthews to points further east, I think, unless you go well outside the city towards Simpsonville. Well, actually, you can find some in Jeffersontown, but they're more likely to be modern houses in a modern cookie-cutter subdivision, not the type of housing you say you like.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM

4,244 posts, read 7,137,138 times
Might be able to find something in the Germantown area (thinking a shotgun) or maybe the South End?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM

25 posts, read 181,338 times
HEY!!! I'm a Buckeye transfer from the Akron area myself! I grew up in Newton Falls. Ever heard of it? I moved here 21 years ago and I can't imagine living anywhere else!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Bobby....sure have! We used to have our RV parked at a site right down the road from NF. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
welcome to you all. Feel free to post if you have any more questions. Louisville is among the best kept secrets in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area