U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM

15 posts, read 39,860 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job opportunity in Louisville. We live presently in north MS and have a mentally disabled child. I homeschool my teenagers. He needs an inexpensive place to stay Monday through Friday until we know this is going to be the right job and we can make the major move. What are expenses like and availability of safe, clean, reasonable accommodations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,277,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb58rich View Post
My husband has a job opportunity in Louisville. We live presently in north MS and have a mentally disabled child. I homeschool my teenagers. He needs an inexpensive place to stay Monday through Friday until we know this is going to be the right job and we can make the major move. What are expenses like and availability of safe, clean, reasonable accommodations?
You are in luck. This website is your best bet:

www.airbnb.com

I have reviewed most of the rentals on there and they seem to be mostly safe and well located.

This is your best located and cheapest option by far:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/622295

Only 40 bucks a night. However, you will have a "roommate."

Should you like your own space, I like these places:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/409205

This one is like a downtown hotel but better with a kitchen and 2 bedrooms and less than half the price:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/723810

Should you prefer a hotel and a suburban location, Value Place is not bad but I have found these places tend to attract a lot of "transients" in any city, Louisville included.

Value Placemore info‎
10400 Brookridge Village Boulevard
Louisville, KY 40291
(502) 239-0044

But I would more strongly consider the options above. Welcome to Louisville. It is really on the rise. The advantage of the airbnb rentals is they are cheaper, better located, and you will have contact with a local who can give you some "insider info." Should you prefer a nice hotel, the 21C, Marriott, Seelbach, Brown, and Hyatt are IMO the best.

Also, I have stayed at the Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn and Hampton Inn downtown and enjoyed all three.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,688,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You are in luck. This website is your best bet:

www.airbnb.com

I have reviewed most of the rentals on there and they seem to be mostly safe and well located.

This is your best located and cheapest option by far:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/622295

Only 40 bucks a night. However, you will have a "roommate."

Should you like your own space, I like these places:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/409205

This one is like a downtown hotel but better with a kitchen and 2 bedrooms and less than half the price:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/723810

Should you prefer a hotel and a suburban location, Value Place is not bad but I have found these places tend to attract a lot of "transients" in any city, Louisville included.

Value Placemore info‎
10400 Brookridge Village Boulevard
Louisville, KY 40291
(502) 239-0044

But I would more strongly consider the options above. Welcome to Louisville. It is really on the rise. The advantage of the airbnb rentals is they are cheaper, better located, and you will have contact with a local who can give you some "insider info." Should you prefer a nice hotel, the 21C, Marriott, Seelbach, Brown, and Hyatt are IMO the best.

Also, I have stayed at the Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn and Hampton Inn downtown and enjoyed all three.
peter, i know we might not always agree,but i have to say you are the most helpfull person on these forums. kudos to you for being so genrous with your time in answering everyone's questions in such a thourough manner. +1000

Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,277,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
peter, i know we might not always agree,but i have to say you are the most helpfull person on these forums. kudos to you for being so genrous with your time in answering everyone's questions in such a thourough manner. +1000
Lville, and especially KY, get a bad rap. I am here to defend that and change any stereotypes because if you find the right areas, Louisville is the best kept secret in America. But, it is easy to drive a Dixie or Preston Hwy, run into a couple "local yokels," and walk away thinking "this town sucks." But it is really an intricate city with a lot of nooks and crannies and if you really utilize the city, I firmly believe it to be the best all around mid sized city in America.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,074,675 times
Lightbulb Too cold for some of the recommendations...

IF money wasn't an object, I still wouldn't stay at the Seelbach this time of year. Having stay there before during the winter months, woke up with ice (not frost) on the old windows and it was freezing in the room. The starbucks employees (on the corner, attached to the lobby) all had ski caps and winter jackets. I know the Rolling Stones stayed there but time and place. Keep the historic windows but wait for warmer temperatures.

My suggestion would simply stay outside of Jefferson county in a hotel chain. Depending on where he needs to go in Louisville, Shelby county (to the east), northern Bullitt county (to the south), or even across the river in New Albany, Indiana will result in daily room charges in the $50's and $60's and will include free breakfast and maybe even free complimentary dinners (thinking thrifty).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: