Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,350 times

Advertisements

hello all,

I am very seriously considering a move from San Diego to Louisville. My major motivating factors are 1) hate my job and am at least changing that soon 2) the taxes and cost of living are getting out of control 3) I'm originally from Memphis, so this is closer to "home" and some old friends 4) My sister, my brother and nephew live in Jackson, TN 5) I am a Buckeye fan. The ability to drive to games is definitely a consideration in this.

What are some of the pitfalls in being new to this town? anyone wanna throw a top 5 pros/cons at me?

Lastly, if I come here I will be selling real estate. how does the market feel to you?

thanks so much and GO BUCKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBrewer View Post
hello all,

I am very seriously considering a move from San Diego to Louisville. My major motivating factors are 1) hate my job and am at least changing that soon 2) the taxes and cost of living are getting out of control 3) I'm originally from Memphis, so this is closer to "home" and some old friends 4) My sister, my brother and nephew live in Jackson, TN 5) I am a Buckeye fan. The ability to drive to games is definitely a consideration in this.

What are some of the pitfalls in being new to this town? anyone wanna throw a top 5 pros/cons at me?

Lastly, if I come here I will be selling real estate. how does the market feel to you?

thanks so much and GO BUCKS
Pros

1) Much smaller so way less traffic, yet every amenity of almost any big city besides pro sports (and UofL basketball functions socially like pro basketball anyways)
2) Housing costs, cost of living, and everything is cheaper
3) Substantially less crime and traffic and it is much closer to many cool cities for day trips
4) Much better for families, and a more "wholesome" morally grounded environment
5) Still a top 15-20 restaurant city, probably coming close to San Diego in some regards, but obviously with much different styles of food

Cons

1) Substantially smaller city (a pro and con)
2) Less growth (while growth is steady, there are not as many transplants outside NE Lville and Oldham County)
3) Weather...not as sunny and warm and no beach. The mountains are close though, and the nearby rolling green pastures are pleasant and an easy drive, along with IMO some of the better lakes in America
4) Can be viewed as somewhat provincial depending on the friend circle you run into...this can be said for any medium large Middle American city.
5) it is not a name brand city. it is not flashy, yet it has trendy parts and is cool in its own way. The place is probably "hipper" than many of the locals realize

The housing market, and in many regards, the economy, are better. Real estate is dirt cheap and never really totally crashed. In San Diego, a half a million gets you a 1000 square foot condo downtown. In Louisville for the same price you can get a 4000 sq foot home, maybe even a historic mansion in the trendy Highlands neighborhhood.

All in all, the city is similar to Memphis in size, but more Midwestern in culture, and has less crime and traffic in general. It seems to be a nice fit for you (only 3 hours to Columbus by car and Jacoson, TN is a little less than that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area