Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to your fair city for a visit in the Spring. I want to gauge how I react to the alleged allergy problem in the area.

What time during the Spring will allergy problems be most common? I guess which month is worst would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I am planning a trip to your fair city for a visit in the Spring. I want to gauge how I react to the alleged allergy problem in the area.

What time during the Spring will allergy problems be most common? I guess which month is worst would help.
my wife and I suffer from allergies here year round. I guess determining the worst month depends on what you are allergic to. molds, ragweed, tree pollen, they can all have different peaks depending on a lot of things, so narrowing down one specific time could be difficult. coming here and having allergy problems should not be difficult. the "alleged" problem is quite real for lots of people. maybe you will be one of the lucky ones that has no problem with it, but for most this is documented as one of if not the worst city in america for allergy sufferers. It's a shame, because it's a beatiful city with a lot to offer, but waking up every day with a head full of congestion does get quite tiresome.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
my wife and I suffer from allergies here year round. I guess determining the worst month depends on what you are allergic to. molds, ragweed, tree pollen, they can all have different peaks depending on a lot of things, so narrowing down one specific time could be difficult. coming here and having allergy problems should not be difficult. the "alleged" problem is quite real for lots of people. maybe you will be one of the lucky ones that has no problem with it, but for most this is documented as one of if not the worst city in america for allergy sufferers. It's a shame, because it's a beatiful city with a lot to offer, but waking up every day with a head full of congestion does get quite tiresome.
I'm allergic to the 21st century. I used to be allergic to the 20th century but got over that more than a decade ago.

Here in KC it is pretty bad. Always stuffed up and sneezing year round. Wish I knew precisely what I was allergic to. I suspect mold and ragweed and certain kinds of tree pollen are the culprits.

I want my next home region to be a bit easier on my sinuses. As you've noted it does create a lot of misery when you cannot breathe well. I look lousy half the time and feel the same most of the time just from being stuffed up all the time.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM

142 posts, read 731,694 times
Default Year round misery...

Quote:

Greetings,

I suffer from severe allergies year round in Louisville...however not too scientific - just an opinion.

Here is an excellent article from May 2011 Forbes Magazine about worst 10 cities to live in for allergy sufferers. Keep in mind in all fairness these rankings can vary year to year due to many enviromental conditions. However; Louisville is usually near the top of the list.
My advice - be prepared if you move to Louisville.

Cheers...

Ten Worst Cities For Allergies (2011 rankings)

For the ninth consecutive year the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America has released its list of the worst cities in the nation for allergies. Researchers analyzed pollen levels, the number of allergy medications purchased per patient and the number of board-certified allergists per patient in the 100 largest metro areas in the U.S. Many of the 10 worst cities this year are concentrated in the Deep South, likely because the climate enables a longer spring season and a variety of pollen-producing plants and trees, allergists say.

No. 10: Madison, Wisc.

Pollen score: Worse than average
Allergy medications used per patient: More than average
Board-certified allergists per patient: Average
Total average score: 87.51

No. 9: McAllen, Texas

Pollen score: Average
Board-certified allergists per patient: Fewer than average
Total average score: 88.79

No. 8: Richmond, Va.

Allergy medications used per patient: Average
Total average score: 88.94

No. 7: Dayton, Ohio

Allergy medications used per patient: Average
Total average score: 89.14

No. 6: Birmingham, Ala.

Total average score: 89.17

No. 5: Chattanooga, Tenn.

Total average score: 89.28

No. 4: Jackson, Miss.

Total average score: 91.65

No. 3: Charlotte, N.C.

Total average score: 92.24
Last year’s rank: No. 5

No. 2: Louisville, Ky.

Total average score: 94.25
Last year’s rank: No. 2

No. 1: Knoxville, Tenn.

Total average score: 100.00
Last year’s rank: No. 1

Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 AM

Informer. Yes, I heard about this report and that is what prompted me to inquire about the seriousness of allergy problems in the Louisville area. Not encouraging. Ugh.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 AM

54 posts, read 135,384 times
Funny thing, i never had allergy problems until i moved from the Ville. But, everyone else i know has them year round.I would say bring plenty of claratin just to b safe.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1251 View Post
Funny thing, i never had allergy problems until i moved from the Ville. But, everyone else i know has them year round.I would say bring plenty of claratin just to b safe.
I use some natural remedies that help but it gets costly to have to buy and use the stuff all the time.

I noted my sinus condition improved some while in Cincinnati. My energy level improves every time I am there. I would have figured Louisville and Cincy to be somewhat similar at least as far as the plant life is concerned. I'll just have to see for myself I guess and I figure if I spend 24 hours in Louisville I should have a good idea of how my sinuses will react.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
I use some natural remedies that help but it gets costly to have to buy and use the stuff all the time.

I noted my sinus condition improved some while in Cincinnati. My energy level improves every time I am there. I would have figured Louisville and Cincy to be somewhat similar at least as far as the plant life is concerned. I'll just have to see for myself I guess and I figure if I spend 24 hours in Louisville I should have a good idea of how my sinuses will react.
I had to smile a bit at this, because when I lived in Cincy many years ago, allergies really kicked in when I reached my workplace in the Mill Creek Valley, not far from Procter and Gamble's main plant. I lived at a much higher elevation, and had no problems as long as I stayed there - but heading down into the sometimes sometimes acrid and usually hazy air that hung over the valley each day surely disagreed with my respiratory system.

Once I moved back to central Kentucky, within three weeks I was able to toss my prescription allergy meds, and have never needed them since. Obviously, there was some industrial pollutant which set off my sniffles and sneezes.

It's likely that improved air quality measures have changed things now. However, both Cincinnati and Louisville are located directly on the Ohio River, and both have lots of industry, so the frequent temperature inversions which are a given in this sort of geographic setting can lead to air pollution. Factor in the abundant variety of blooming plantlife, and if you're prone to allergies or asthma, you might take that into account before moving to either city.

I'll be spending a day in Louisville soon, and will have to see if I notice any difference. I am not normally prone to allergies of any severity, and obviously my own experience is not indicative of that of others, but it should be interesting to do a little self-monitoring and see what happens.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I had to smile a bit at this, because when I lived in Cincy many years ago, allergies really kicked in when I reached my workplace in the Mill Creek Valley, not far from Procter and Gamble's main plant. I lived at a much higher elevation, and had no problems as long as I stayed there - but heading down into the sometimes sometimes acrid and usually hazy air that hung over the valley each day surely disagreed with my respiratory system.

Once I moved back to central Kentucky, within three weeks I was able to toss my prescription allergy meds, and have never needed them since. Obviously, there was some industrial pollutant which set off my sniffles and sneezes.

It's likely that improved air quality measures have changed things now. However, both Cincinnati and Louisville are located directly on the Ohio River, and both have lots of industry, so the frequent temperature inversions which are a given in this sort of geographic setting can lead to air pollution. Factor in the abundant variety of blooming plantlife, and if you're prone to allergies or asthma, you might take that into account before moving to either city.

I'll be spending a day in Louisville soon, and will have to see if I notice any difference. I am not normally prone to allergies of any severity, and obviously my own experience is not indicative of that of others, but it should be interesting to do a little self-monitoring and see what happens.
Yes, that is true. Air quality in most cities is not that good and I thought I'd have issues in Cincinnati. It's far from being great but I can breathe better there than in the entire Kansas City region.

I wish I knew exactly what I was allergic to because it would make finding a location that has these plants or types of industrial pollution easier to avoid.

No asthma at least. Let us know how your trip to Louisville impacts your breathing. I'll be interested to hear about it since you'll probably visit sooner than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area