U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,577 times

Advertisements

All,

I am going to be relocating to Louisville Kentucky. What area's would be recommended for a MWM. Low crime etc.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 AM

7,021 posts, read 15,506,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceltw View Post
All,

I am going to be relocating to Louisville Kentucky. What area's would be recommended for a MWM. Low crime etc.

Thanks,
What is MWM? Louisville is a large city...please be more specific.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 AM

69 posts, read 309,407 times
Do you have kids?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 AM

4,825 posts, read 13,681,765 times
You asked a hugely generalized question. Louisville has a hugely diverse selection of homes available. If you have a job already, living close to that job is important in my reasoning. How close you are to your childs (if any) schools (again several choices), how much your monthly mortgage/utility/tax budget can stand, etc. Do you want an apartment, a patio home, a condo, a single family house, with whatsize yard? If you are buying, I will tell you that a Professional Realtor is your best bet. I have seen far more home buyers make terrible mistakes often leading to foreclosure, than I have seen home sellers make life regretable mistakes.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,767,927 times
Hi,

[MWM: married white male].

I am now in Lexington, but I searched Louisville real estate extensively last summer. I apologize to the experts, but these are my impressions from my search - I loved the city and the real estate btw. The short hand is that the "east" side of Louisville has the nice homes/schools. {There are definitely exceptions, but when you are relocating, it seems best to be safe}.

Then the question is: do you like ...

o older, established, eclectic with somewhat smaller lots (i.e. Highlands, Seneca Park); or

o newer executive colonial homes (like zip 40245 - Wolf Creek, Lake Forest); or

o beautiful older ramblers or colonials on larger lots (would this be 40207 zip, etc.?)

I tended to overlook the third category when I was at home on my computer; then when I was driving around I was really captivated by these neighborhoods.

Below 400K and especially 300K there is even greater a mix of community types, but these categories might still be useful. Then the next questions (repeating the last poster) - kids and commute ...

PS - You also might be looking for an apartment - condo - townhouse ...

Last edited by goldenmom7500; 10-30-2007 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: added PS

Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,577 times
Default All Reply

I do have a Middle School aged Child potentially (latch key). Rightnow I will be looking for an apartment or something to rent as after I get settled in my job we will then begin the pursuit of purchasing a house on some land. I really hate to say this but Schools and Internet Speed availabe(work in technology) are my two biggest concerns 20 - 30 minutes from work is okay. Prefer to be close but will sacrifice based upon area to live in to be safer (notice have to teach kids safe practices) for my Child. I hope this answers the questions at hand.

Thanks,

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,767,927 times
Hi,

One site to use as an additional resource is GreatSchools.net - it's somewhat overwhelming to use for Louisville, but as you find apartment complexes, you can double check the schools with this site. I also had found a site where you can type in an address and find your school, but don't have the link. (Signing up for school may or may not be more complicated than this - a realtor had told me that you apply giving your ranked preferences and then find out what school you will get - but then later I discovered that may only apply if you want an alternate school, not the one in your area, never quite had clarification on that).

Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 AM

4,825 posts, read 13,681,765 times
Hurstbourne Lane from Shelbyville Road to Fern Creek is lined with Apartment Complexes. Hurstbourne crosses Bardstown Rd about 2 miles south of the GE NE entrance off Fegenbush Ln.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,506,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Hi,

One site to use as an additional resource is GreatSchools.net - it's somewhat overwhelming to use for Louisville, but as you find apartment complexes, you can double check the schools with this site. I also had found a site where you can type in an address and find your school, but don't have the link. (Signing up for school may or may not be more complicated than this - a realtor had told me that you apply giving your ranked preferences and then find out what school you will get - but then later I discovered that may only apply if you want an alternate school, not the one in your area, never quite had clarification on that).
The current (November) issue of Louisville Magazine lists the best schools in the metro by test scores, enrollment, student/teacher ratio, etc. Anyone interested let me know. I have the print edition and you could probably order it from them easily.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 PM

9 posts, read 30,983 times
Oldham County has great schools but I am not sure if you would like the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>