Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 AM

57 posts, read 147,943 times

Advertisements

Having posted a vague question several days ago (and actually getting some very helpful responses!), I just read the "sticky" for newcomers to this forum. So, my apologies for the vague question, and now I'd like to be more specific about what I'm looking for in a place to live. Here is some information about my family that might be helpful:

1) moving from St. Louis, although we're originally from Pennsylvania.
2) I'll be working at U of L; ideal commute time is 25 minutes or less. Preferably less.
3) my wife and I are both in our early 30s, and we have a two-year old. We would like the option of using public schools, but are not opposed to private, if the public schools are terrible in a particular district.
4) looking to rent a townhouse or house, no more than $1100 or maybe $1200 a month
5) prefer a nice, safe, quiet neighborhood. Ideally, with as few of my students around as possible! ;-)
6) we're big recreational walkers...love to be outside whenever possible. Living close to a park is a big plus.
7) Pie or cake? Why must I choose? I want to have both.

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 PM

18 posts, read 35,158 times
Post Exhaustive Housing Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac100 View Post
Having posted a vague question several days ago (and actually getting some very helpful responses!), I just read the "sticky" for newcomers to this forum. So, my apologies for the vague question, and now I'd like to be more specific about what I'm looking for in a place to live. Here is some information about my family that might be helpful:

1) moving from St. Louis, although we're originally from Pennsylvania.
2) I'll be working at U of L; ideal commute time is 25 minutes or less. Preferably less.
3) my wife and I are both in our early 30s, and we have a two-year old. We would like the option of using public schools, but are not opposed to private, if the public schools are terrible in a particular district.
4) looking to rent a townhouse or house, no more than $1100 or maybe $1200 a month
5) prefer a nice, safe, quiet neighborhood. Ideally, with as few of my students around as possible! ;-)
6) we're big recreational walkers...love to be outside whenever possible. Living close to a park is a big plus.
7) Pie or cake? Why must I choose? I want to have both.

Thank you for any advice!
Zac100,

Based on some of your needs/wants, we are looking at a few places that might fit the bill for you. Mind you, we were not taken schools or children into consideration. These "complex" type places may not have their own websites and need to be found via the property managers.
1. Park Laureate Apartments (St. Regis Park area). Great 3 bed, 2 bath options with over 1200 square feet.
2. Four Season Townhomes (Houston Acres). 3 bed, 2 1/2 beds.
3. Brookshire Village (Buechel Park/Okolona Area). 2 bed, 2 bath townhomes.

These are on our safety list if we cannot find a house to rent. Someone from Louisville might be able to give us specifics on these "complexes". This is just based on my exhaustive searches. Best of luck!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockabillyChic777 View Post
Zac100,

Based on some of your needs/wants, we are looking at a few places that might fit the bill for you. Mind you, we were not taken schools or children into consideration. These "complex" type places may not have their own websites and need to be found via the property managers.
1. Park Laureate Apartments (St. Regis Park area). Great 3 bed, 2 bath options with over 1200 square feet.
2. Four Season Townhomes (Houston Acres). 3 bed, 2 1/2 beds.
3. Brookshire Village (Buechel Park/Okolona Area). 2 bed, 2 bath townhomes.

These are on our safety list if we cannot find a house to rent. Someone from Louisville might be able to give us specifics on these "complexes". This is just based on my exhaustive searches. Best of luck!
Rockabilly, with all due respect I do not think those are considered nice apartment complexes. Although to be honest, I have never heard of or been to any of them. I do know they are located in 1960s eras suburbs going through transitions, but they are nice areas. I am sure the complexes you chose are fine, but they are not considered well known or high end.

When it comes to nicer suburban complexes the following are considered the best and probably newish:

The Overlook at St Thomas
Legends at Indian Springs
Paddock at Eastpoint
Champions Farms
Summit Place

There are SO SO many good home rentals in Louisville for around 1200 or less however that I would never under any condition rent in a large corporate, isolated complex

Craigslist does not have scams if you get good at searching it. The best areas for walkable home rentals are St Matthews, Clifton, Highlands, and Crescent Hill.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Rockabilly, with all due respect I do not think those are considered nice apartment complexes. Although to be honest, I have never heard of or been to any of them. I do know they are located in 1960s eras suburbs going through transitions, but they are nice areas. I am sure the complexes you chose are fine, but they are not considered well known or high end.

When it comes to nicer suburban complexes the following are considered the best and probably newish:

Paddock at Eastpoint
Champions Farms
Summit Place

There are SO SO many good home rentals in Louisville for around 1200 or less however that I would never under any condition rent in a large corporate, isolated complex

Craigslist does not have scams if you get good at searching it. The best areas for walkable home rentals are St Matthews, Clifton, Highlands, and Crescent Hill.

Some examples:

3-bedroom condo in the Highlands!

One this one is AMAZING and with such a great location for a an active family!:

BEAUTIFUL 2.5 Bedroom House in the Heart of the Highlands!

Notice the "for rent sign" in the yard on this one:

highlands lg with formal dining and study

All the best properties in Louisville rent within days simply by posting this red sign in the front yard. This means if you want to live in the cool in town areas, the way to go is to drive the good streets and call the numbers on the signs.

St Matthews very well located. You may have to look at several before you find one renovated to your taste:

St Mathews

These type of listings come and go...searching craigslist daily is needed.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Some examples:

3-bedroom condo in the Highlands!

One this one is AMAZING and with such a great location for a an active family!:

BEAUTIFUL 2.5 Bedroom House in the Heart of the Highlands!

Notice the "for rent sign" in the yard on this one:

highlands lg with formal dining and study

All the best properties in Louisville rent within days simply by posting this red sign in the front yard. This means if you want to live in the cool in town areas, the way to go is to drive the good streets and call the numbers on the signs.

St Matthews very well located. You may have to look at several before you find one renovated to your taste:

St Mathews

These type of listings come and go...searching craigslist daily is needed.
I am very close to the Deer Park units and just a bike ride from the one on Breckenridge.
The Deer Park house is fabulous. If you (potential movers & posters) do Craigslist and see something in this area you like I can do a recon for you.
Dont forget about apartments in the area of Frankfort Ave, before St Matt's, either

Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
U of L Med Campus is downtown, main "Belknap" Campus is about 2 miles south of downtown. Which are you working at and do you prefer an urban, suburban, or rural area?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 AM

18 posts, read 35,158 times
Quote:

Paddock at Eastpoint
Champions Farms
Summit Place

Most of theses complex have been recently renovated from floors, cabinets and appliances. Thank-you for urge suggest, I will look into these too. Also, I current live in a house that is circa 1950-1960 that was been renovated and very happy. But, all places to look never hurt.

Thank-you,
Vanessa

Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Most of theses complex have been recently renovated from floors, cabinets and appliances. Thank-you for urge suggest, I will look into these too. Also, I current live in a house that is circa 1950-1960 that was been renovated and very happy. But, all places to look never hurt.

Thank-you,
Vanessa
vanessa, I also don't mind the 1960s eras stuff. They had solid construction back then. If it has been renovated, it sounds nice! Good luck in your search. I am just letting you know what are considered the nicer parts of town.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
Quote:

Thank-you,
Vanessa
I would personally never recommend any of those areas to a newcomer. not high crime, just kind of trashy and lacking in all the cool things that louisville does offer. I have been stuck in okolona for 11 years due to the housing crash and it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. you will find that louisville is kind of segregated between urban dwellars and old school white trash. their are tons of trashy people here. not to be negative, just stating truth. the key is to live in the more urban areas and be surrouded by cool peeps as opposed to the somewhat outer areas (excluding the east end). If you really want to enjoy the all that the urban louisville has to offer, stay inside the watterson and east of I-65. with your budget you can afford much nicer digs in much better areas.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I would personally never recommend any of those areas to a newcomer. not high crime, just kind of trashy and lacking in all the cool things that louisville does offer. I have been stuck in okolona for 11 years due to the housing crash and it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. you will find that louisville is kind of segregated between urban dwellars and old school white trash. their are tons of trashy people here. not to be negative, just stating truth. the key is to live in the more urban areas and be surrouded by cool peeps as opposed to the somewhat outer areas (excluding the east end). If you really want to enjoy the all that the urban louisville has to offer, stay inside the watterson and east of I-65. with your budget you can afford much nicer digs in much better areas.
wird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area