U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 12,286 times

Advertisements

Just found out today that We are moving to louisville in june due to a job opportunity for my husband. We are moving from the DC area and need info on where to live, private schools, things we should know, etc.

We have a 12 year old son who will be in 7th grade next year in private school. My husbands job is on Bluegrass pkway and he would want a commute within 30-40 minutes. We are looking for a family oriented community with nice housing and shops nearby. We dont want to be in a highly remote area.

We are looking for a house with approx 4 br, at least 3000 sq ft and possibly near the water.

This is a big deal for ua since i have lived in dc all my life and both families are here. I am nervous and sad about leaving the people i love. Is it easy to make friends here? I wastold the folks here are so much nicer than in dc and i would be so happy if i knew i could make some new friends pretty easily.

So, i need some reassurance. Lots of mixed feelings...

I would be so appreciative for any advice, info, etc....

Thank you!

Laura. a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,844 times
hi Laura, sounds like we are in the same boat. We are moving to the Louisville area some time this summer as soon as our house sells in TX. Have you heard of any good areas to purchase a house? We are about 100% sure our son who will be in 8th grade will be attending English Station Christian Academy so we want to live closer to there. Please share any info you have. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2013, 06:51 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,147,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreiser View Post
hi Laura, sounds like we are in the same boat. We are moving to the Louisville area some time this summer as soon as our house sells in TX. Have you heard of any good areas to purchase a house? We are about 100% sure our son who will be in 8th grade will be attending English Station Christian Academy so we want to live closer to there. Please share any info you have. Thanks!
You are headed in the right direction. There are several excellent communities to the east of I-265. From the older, but still valuable Lake Forest, to Copperfield, Locust Grove and even into Oldham and Shelby Counties.

We have offices in Crestwood, Middletown, and St. Matthews. Our home is in Briar Hill (Crestwood-Oldham County), and the commute is very reasonable (10-15min) to our St. Matthews & Middletown offices from our home.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreiser View Post
Yayyy! So good to connect with someone else who
will be new to the area too! We just found out last night so
I havent done alot of research yet. Tonight, friends of mine
Who are from lexington told me that Shelbyville is very nice
And has nice homes. So i was going to look into that. My
Son will be in the 7th grade so maybe once we get there
We could meet and introduce our boys.

I would love to compare notes as we go thru this huge
Transition. Please let me know if youd like to email directly
And we can share ideas.

Looking forward to talking further!

Laura

Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 AM

10,381 posts, read 6,060,287 times
Default One of the emerging cities in the nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laghdam View Post
Just found out today that We are moving to louisville in june due to a job opportunity for my husband. We are moving from the DC area and need info on where to live, private schools, things we should know, etc.

We have a 12 year old son who will be in 7th grade next year in private school. My husbands job is on Bluegrass pkway and he would want a commute within 30-40 minutes. We are looking for a family oriented community with nice housing and shops nearby. We dont want to be in a highly remote area.

We are looking for a house with approx 4 br, at least 3000 sq ft and possibly near the water.

This is a big deal for ua since i have lived in dc all my life and both families are here. I am nervous and sad about leaving the people i love. Is it easy to make friends here? I wastold the folks here are so much nicer than in dc and i would be so happy if i knew i could make some new friends pretty easily.

Thank you!

Laura. a
Quote:
15 U.S. Cities' Emerging Downtowns

6 of 16

« PreviousNext »
<LI id=gallery_inline_share_button_twitter_gig_contain erParent>

Louisville, Ky.

The city has attracted $1.8 billion in reinvestment since 1992, according to the APA. Over the past decade it converted much of its subsidized housing downtown to market-rate real estate, and expanded retail offerings. In 2011, the mayor unveiled a public-private initiative to restore downtown Louisville’s Whiskey Row. The buildings are expected to house bourbon-themed restaurants and nightlife spots, adding to the success of nearby projects like the mixed-use Whiskey Row Lofts. Bourbon distilleries have begun moving their operations back to the area as well, including Mitcher’s Distillery, Heaven Hill and whiskey giant Jim Beam. The area's residential population, though still small, grew about 10% from 2000 to 2010.

Louisville, Ky. - 15 U.S. Cities' Emerging Downtowns - Forbes

Louisville has always been a dynamic city. When we lived there over forty years ago we fell in love with Actors Theatre, and saw Victory Jory in Death of a Salesman, one of his last performances. It made us life long lovers of live theater and we held annual seats for several years until we moved away.

The Galt House (I worked in an office next door to it), which I suppose is still there on the Riverfront, was where I met John Wayne near the end of his life. And Governor George Wallace, a controversial political figure, waved at me as his vehicle was pulling out of the parking garage of the Galt House (I didn't wave back).

The Delta Queen (a paddlewheeler) used to dock right near the Galt House, and every year would run a race with the Mississippi Queen (I think) which was docked in Cincinnati.

There are others who can give you details on areas to live in, better schools, etc. It's probably changed a lot since we lived there. And we lived seven blocks from Churchill Downs, mostly blue collar workers where I was a young, white collar professional. We never had any problems. St. Matthews area was considered "up and coming" back then.

But we loved Louisville, and I frequently wonder if we would have been better off staying there or in Lexington rather than taking the "opportunities" that pulled me away from the state. Home prices are going to be much better than what you have in the D.C. area and I suspect even on the worst traffic days it won't be as bad as D.C. either.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised, but there will be some cultural adjustment to the peculiar twang that many, not all, native Kentuckians have in their speech. And eventually you may come to the point of getting a tear in your eye when you hear "My Old Kentucky Home" sung!

Good luck.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-28-2013 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 AM

6,832 posts, read 14,408,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laghdam View Post

Thank you!

Laura. a

Please me more specific as to your age? Do you like older homes or new? Do you prefer suburbs or urban areas?

Give the choice would you choose? Starbucks or local coffee?

Olive Garden or a mom and pop Italian place?

Sushi or carry out pizza?

Do you like sports or arts?

How big of a shopper are you? Do you like small boutiques or large national discounters?

Are you a big user of zoos, museums, and nightlife or entertainment venues?

Or do you prefer the outdoors and quiet places?

Louisville is a great and welcoming city. It can seem "clicky" at first, but when locals ask you where you went to high school or who you know, it is only their way of trying to make a connection to you. At first some of those questions offended me, then I realized these are probably the friendlies people of any city I have lived in, and your neighbors really do care about you there,

Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 AM

10,412 posts, read 21,934,466 times
I work in the Bluegrass Pky area too. Pretty much anything on the East End (Jeffertown, St Matthews, Middletown, etc) is close by, as are parts of Shelby and Oldham County.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Please me more specific as to your age? Do you like older homes or new? Do you prefer suburbs or urban areas?

Give the choice would you choose? Starbucks or local coffee?

Olive Garden or a mom and pop Italian place?

Sushi or carry out pizza?

Do you like sports or arts?

How big of a shopper are you? Do you like small boutiques or large national discounters?

Are you a big user of zoos, museums, and nightlife or entertainment venues?

Or do you prefer the outdoors and quiet places?

Louisville is a great and welcoming city. It can seem "clicky" at first, but when locals ask you where you went to high school or who you know, it is only their way of trying to make a connection to you. At first some of those questions offended me, then I realized these are probably the friendlies people of any city I have lived in, and your neighbors really do care about you there,
Hi peter!

Thank u for responding! Here are some answers to your questions: we think we are going to rent for the first few months andthen buy. We like newer homes in the suburbs. We love starbucks and olive garden, sushi and carry out pizza. We like to shop and want to have shopping nearby, including a mall. We enjoy museums, going out to dinner, doing things outside and spending time together with our 12 year old son. We love to vacation near the water and often take our vaca in the carribean. I am interested in making new friends and having a group with whom we can spend time. Myhusband is an ultra marathon runner and would like to find friends who do the same. He completed 100 miles lastyear and dida 50 mile run a few weeks ago. Our son is a singer in a bach to rock band here in Va and also does parkour. He would love to be able to continue.

We are very much into healthy eating and altrnative treatmentsfor good health. I. Am 3 year breastcancer survivor so good health is veryimportant to us.

Please let me know if u have some good suggestions for us!

Laura

Old 04-29-2013, 01:17 AM

8,385 posts, read 4,656,986 times
Hi Laura! Welcome to Kentucky!
Don't be frightened (I know moving out of state can be a little scary, especially at first!), but think of
your move as a great adventure (life is just one great adventure, you know!) with lots of fun and opportunity
ahead of you.
Louisville will cost much less than where you are coming from, and it has all the amenities that you mentioned
(plus some!)

Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Hi Laura! Welcome to Kentucky!
Don't be frightened (I know moving out of state can be a little scary, especially at first!), but think of
your move as a great adventure (life is just one great adventure, you know!) with lots of fun and opportunity
ahead of you.
Louisville will cost much less than where you are coming from, and it has all the amenities that you mentioned
(plus some!)
Thank you so much! Today, I am sad; sad to leave my family and the people I love. However, everyone on this forum has been so kind that I feel a little better. My husband and I are visiting tomorrow and Thursday so at least I'll have the chance to look around a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area