Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this by saying, I understand that schools in the suburbs are going to be easier to sift through and yes, I know about Oldham Co/Southern Indiana/etc. If I wanted to move to one of those places, I would throw a dart at a map and go. Its all the same to me and I might as well stay put in Indianapolis if the 'burbs are the only option I have in Louisville. So, please, don't bother me with your "oh you have to move to the suburbs" shtick. I'm not interested.

Having said that, my wife and I, with infant in tow, are flirting with the idea of moving to Louisville (among other places). One very important facet of that, is the public schools. We live on the near east side of Indianapolis (46201 if anyone is familiar with that part of Indy) and are well versed in the magnet options in IPS and the charter school options in the city. We are interested in similar options in the city of Louisville. If this has been discussed ad nauseum in a recent thread somewhere, feel free to direct me to it, I did a quick search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

So, is there anyone in the forum who has kids in Jefferson Co Public Schools now, and if so, where and what schools would you recommend? Does JCPS have decent magnet options and if so, what are they? How about charter schools in the city?

Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Let me preface this by saying, I understand that schools in the suburbs are going to be easier to sift through and yes, I know about Oldham Co/Southern Indiana/etc. If I wanted to move to one of those places, I would throw a dart at a map and go. Its all the same to me and I might as well stay put in Indianapolis if the 'burbs are the only option I have in Louisville. So, please, don't bother me with your "oh you have to move to the suburbs" shtick. I'm not interested.

Having said that, my wife and I, with infant in tow, are flirting with the idea of moving to Louisville (among other places). One very important facet of that, is the public schools. We live on the near east side of Indianapolis (46201 if anyone is familiar with that part of Indy) and are well versed in the magnet options in IPS and the charter school options in the city. We are interested in similar options in the city of Louisville. If this has been discussed ad nauseum in a recent thread somewhere, feel free to direct me to it, I did a quick search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

So, is there anyone in the forum who has kids in Jefferson Co Public Schools now, and if so, where and what schools would you recommend? Does JCPS have decent magnet options and if so, what are they? How about charter schools in the city?
I am simply responding because your arrogance is appalling. You obviously think you know everything, but you aren't listening. Under the current JCPS system, you don't get the best schools, even your "resides" school is a cluster and your child will be treated perfectly like they are perfectly average.

Now, if you wish to accept good advice from a great group of people with facts, please turn down the crap and let us help you win. I would recommend that you start by calling JCPS and learning how the current student assignment plan will work for you and your family. Listen clearly, don't assume anything, and ask lots of questions. They are pros at making it sound wonderful.

Immigrating parents are sent to the back of the line. They get choice if their school of choice has room. www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/‎

Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am simply responding because your arrogance is appalling. You obviously think you know everything, but you aren't listening. Under the current JCPS system, you don't get the best schools, even your "resides" school is a cluster and your child will be treated perfectly like they are perfectly average.

Now, if you wish to accept good advice from a great group of people with facts, please turn down the crap and let us help you win. I would recommend that you start by calling JCPS and learning how the current student assignment plan will work for you and your family. Listen clearly, don't assume anything, and ask lots of questions. They are pros at making it sound wonderful.

Immigrating parents are sent to the back of the line. They get choice if their school of choice has room. www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/‎
While I appreciate your response, I know your bias and like I said, I am not interested in Oldham County and the like. I am hoping someone here understands where I am coming from. On a suburban dominated forum, it can be tough to get advice from urban minded people who have experience with the school system. I just don't want to waste my time or your time. Thanks for visiting.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM

142 posts, read 731,796 times
Quote:
Having said that, my wife and I, with infant in tow, are flirting with the idea of moving to Louisville (among other places).
Greetings,

Besides the greater Louisville area - what other metro areas are on your short list? Certainly a benchmark of
your ideals would be beneficial to people offering some advice.

Cheers...

Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Don't believe the heresay. JCPS is so large, a top 25 district, that it does have some very horrible schools....just like every big city has horrible urban decayed neighborhoods.

But at the same time, there are some great schools. I have friends who have kids in Greathouse and one at Manual high school, and they are getting top notch education.

I would say the public schools in Louisville are equivalent to Indy. The only difference is that with the exception of downtown Indy, Louisville is much more a city of walkable urban neighborhoods, cohesiveness, beautiful parks, arts, hipsters, and just better restaurants, and maybe a tad warmer.

JCPS SchoolFinder

Find the home you want, plug in the address, and most people get their resides school. Don't believe all the scary hype from suburban based realtors.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:31 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

I think you are showing the arrogance here. The OP made it perfectly clear he did not want to be referred to the suburban options and he clearly wanted to find out the best options INSIDE Louisville. Believe it or not, not everyone thinks Oldham County is the end all be all in the Louisville area.

As for the OP, if good schools inside the urban city limits are important to you. IMHO, I'd cross Louisville off the list. I think the student assignment plan is just awful and backwards and a lot of unneeded uncertainty.

In Louisville, the absolutely best way to get into a good school is connections. An old-coworker had a choice between Central and Manual HS (both have good reputations) for her child because she knew the principals at both schools.

This is also a good tool for anyone moving to the area. Plug your address in and see what your resides school is.

JCPS SchoolFinder

Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
While I appreciate your response, I know your bias and like I said, I am not interested in Oldham County and the like. I am hoping someone here understands where I am coming from. On a suburban dominated forum, it can be tough to get advice from urban minded people who have experience with the school system. I just don't want to waste my time or your time. Thanks for visiting.
Again, you obviously don't know as much as you think you do. I am not selling Oldham County, I am telling you that you better contact JCPS first. I could care less where you live or why. If you are seeking a public school in Jefferson County, there is no absolute situation.

Since you want to discount my advice, why don't you discuss your situation with Mandy Connell, the morning talk person for WHAS Radio. She interviews people regularly from JCPS.

You might also wish to know that currently Kentucky law does not recognize charter schools.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think you are showing the arrogance here. The OP made it perfectly clear he did not want to be referred to the suburban options and he clearly wanted to find out the best options INSIDE Louisville. Believe it or not, not everyone thinks Oldham County is the end all be all in the Louisville area.

As for the OP, if good schools inside the urban city limits are important to you. IMHO, I'd cross Louisville off the list. I think the student assignment plan is just awful and backwards and a lot of unneeded uncertainty.

In Louisville, the absolutely best way to get into a good school is connections. An old-coworker had a choice between Central and Manual HS (both have good reputations) for her child because she knew the principals at both schools.

This is also a good tool for anyone moving to the area. Plug your address in and see what your resides school is.

JCPS SchoolFinder
Arrogance, I don't think so. Attitude, yes. The OP wants a charter school. There are none allowed by Kentucky law. The OP wants a good urban public school for their child, see the list below. So, while you are dis'n on me, why don't you tell the OP which area of Louisville which is urban that supports a decent school. Fact is even the JCPS schools that are good are suburban Jefferson County. Be certain to note which schools are by lottery.

Folks, I am flat out disgusted with JCPS. There is not a reason in this world why this school system shouldn't be one of the best large school districts in the nation, but the facts are it is downright pitiful. 10 high schools rank at the bottom 10 in the entire state of Kentucky. This means that the 10 high schools get their students from about 30 equally weak elementary schools.

But again, don't mind me. Facts don't matter when politics are in play.

http://www.localschooldirectory.com/.../elementary/KY

Last edited by tomocox; 05-24-2013 at 08:17 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Don't believe the heresay. JCPS is so large, a top 25 district, that it does have some very horrible schools....just like every big city has horrible urban decayed neighborhoods.

But at the same time, there are some great schools. I have friends who have kids in Greathouse and one at Manual high school, and they are getting top notch education.

I would say the public schools in Louisville are equivalent to Indy. The only difference is that with the exception of downtown Indy, Louisville is much more a city of walkable urban neighborhoods, cohesiveness, beautiful parks, arts, hipsters, and just better restaurants, and maybe a tad warmer.

JCPS SchoolFinder

Find the home you want, plug in the address, and most people get their resides school. Don't believe all the scary hype from suburban based realtors.
First of all, let's start at the bottom. Once again you don't seem to care about the facts. You have never moved to Louisville with a school aged child. I have.

Now, let's note the schools you mentioned by name. Greathouse is a traditional school. Attendees are by invitation/lottery only. Few, if any, immigrating families are allowed to enter traditional schools after the first child of the family enters kindergarten. This class system effectively keeps the 13 years of a child's education limited to those who they started with.

Which area of Louisville inside the Watterson do you recommend living where the resides school is a high quality urban-fed school?

Do you think you have the power to guarantee young parents that their family will be going to a traditional school?

STX, or Peter, my agents and I represent hundreds of families moving each year. We could care less where they chose to live. As a matter of fact, it is a federal offense to steer people to and from particular areas. So, to falsely represent that suburban based Realtors a promoting scary hype is quite a fraud on your part.

FYI, my wife and I own and operate one office in Crestwood, one in Middletown and a third office in St. Matthews. We have agents who live in the Highlands, J-town, St. Matthews, Shelby County, Goshen, Hikes Point, east Lyndon, LaGrange, Pewee Valley, Crestwood, and as far away as the Glasgow area.

The point is, Jefferson County Schools have a ratio of 1 to 3. For every top 20 school in the state, they have 3 schools in the bottom 20 of the state. Don't mix your sound rights with the honest facts.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Lightbulb Got more bait?

Looks like the usual folks that try to assist the "where do I live" crowd got suckered into a dead end discussion. The OP already has a disdain for UofL and UK so how could anyone expect that decent feeder schools exist in the Bluegrass state. These replies were tame compared to a similar thread seeking the best schools in Chicago. Same cut/paste for the OP which is probably why the charter question was still in for Louisville's.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ic-option.html

I miss the usual bait questions on single wide trailers, race, or London, KY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area