U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 PM

75 posts, read 138,294 times

Advertisements

I am a Jazz Singer, and I am looking to relocate to a town that goes out to see live music. Where there are local venues to play at. Where Musicians like to collaborate and play together.
Is there a Music scene in Louisville?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:30 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,174,118 times
Theres tons of music in Louisville.

Home | Louisville's Alt-Weekly | LEO Weekly

Here is the link to a local entertainment paper. might start your search, here.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Thanks for your quick reply, and I will be checking out the link promptly....Im hoping to find out a bit of the attitude there. How musicians interact with one another, and also how venue owners treat musicians. How respectful audiences are towards the music, etc.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:04 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,174,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjelly View Post
Thanks for your quick reply, and I will be checking out the link promptly....Im hoping to find out a bit of the attitude there. How musicians interact with one another, and also how venue owners treat musicians. How respectful audiences are towards the music, etc.
My Wife and I moved to Louisville for the music and art. I dont know specifically where you might end up, or who you might meet up with, but Im a musician and if I wanted to commit to a band, the opportunities for what Im into are endless. To me, the scene is the most friendly and coolest Ive ever seen since the 70's. Very freindly.
From local bars to venues like Headliners, there is music everywhere. I cant really answer how venue owners treat musicians though. I would check the Leo out and maybe google music in Louisville. If you can get here, walk up and down Bardstown Rd and pick up the free music/art papers and look at the flyers a lot of shops have posted in their windows. Plenty of music here

Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM

Thanks Thunderkat. Music is clearly very important to you and I sincerely appreciate that. Was thinking of the Richmond area because of the vibrant music scene, but if the scene is cliquish and stand offish then its like standing there with your nose pressed up against the candy store window. Not saying that Richmond is like that, but cant seem to find the skinny on it...Glad to hear that youre happy in Louisville cos thats inspiring to me

Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 PM

27 posts, read 67,087 times
Richmond, Kentucky?

If that is what you are comparing, then there IS no comparison. Richmond has a VERY limited music scene. But that is OK as most people gravitate towards Lexington. Lexington is better, but is still not all that great. However, it is easier to get started in Lexington and build a rep. I have been in a couple of bands, and while our shows in Louisville were typically our most successful, we had a much easier time getting gigs in Lexington. But then again, maybe we just weren't that good

Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 PM

Hiya Palejune!....Totally my fault...Did not make myself clear at all...I meant to say that I was comparing Louisville to Richmond,Virginia
Wanting to move to someplace where there are lots of opportunities to create singing gigs particularly Jazz gigs, and where there is a respect for music and musicians.
I do appreciate your sunny reply!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 PM

27 posts, read 67,087 times
Well, one great thing about Louisville is that it is an easy drive to many other larger cities such as Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville and St. Louis. Plus there are a few smaller towns like Lexington and Evansville nearby. Heck even Memphis isn't too bad a trek. Our location is one of our biggest assets!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Sounding better all the time!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 AM

7,021 posts, read 15,341,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjelly View Post
Hiya Palejune!....Totally my fault...Did not make myself clear at all...I meant to say that I was comparing Louisville to Richmond,Virginia
Wanting to move to someplace where there are lots of opportunities to create singing gigs particularly Jazz gigs, and where there is a respect for music and musicians.
I do appreciate your sunny reply!
Def Louisville big time over Richmond.

Louisville Jazz Society - Home

http://backseatsandbar.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area