Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

I have a sweet spot for Louisville. Such an underrated city with more urban fabric and culture than metros twice its size.

I have been to the city many times, but never really spent more than a few hours there. I'm coming into town to get some nice skyline photos and will spend a few solid days just exploring the city, but would like some local advice on a few places to eat, neighborhoods to check out etc.

Any ideas? Any photo ops? (other than the obvious across the river shots).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Good luck if you're there tonight. My son is up there with his job and posted he wished he was anywhere else for the night.
"Nothing like being in downtown Louisville the same night as the new kids on the block concert. Yikes!"

Old 06-25-2013, 04:57 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have a sweet spot for Louisville. Such an underrated city with more urban fabric and culture than metros twice its size.

I have been to the city many times, but never really spent more than a few hours there. I'm coming into town to get some nice skyline photos and will spend a few solid days just exploring the city, but would like some local advice on a few places to eat, neighborhoods to check out etc.

Any ideas? Any photo ops? (other than the obvious across the river shots).

Thanks.
New2Lou

gives a brief overview of many of the urban districts.

I would eat my way around town.

Old Louisville
610 Magnolia
Bucks's
Magbar for drinks
Rudyard Kipling for a show

Downtown
Hillbilly Tea
Proof
Bourbon Cocktails at
Down One Bourbon Bar, SideBar, Patrick O'sheas, and Manny and Merle's
Craft brews at Against the Grain

Photos on West Main near Slugger Museum, Fourth St, and skyline shots from the new Big Four pedestrian bridge/Waterfront Park

Nulu
La Coup Bistro a Vins
Ghyslain for breakfast
Wiltshire for weekend dinner
Why Louisville Two for souvenir
Cake Flour for desert
Please and Thank You for Coffee

Butchertown
Butchertown Market
Blind Pig

Germantown
Hammerhead's
coffee at Sunergo's
craft beer at Nachbar
and Four Pegs
German food at Eiderdown

Highlands
really too many to mention
A good sample wood be:
Sapporro Sushi
Highland Coffee for coffee
Seviche for Latin Fusion
Jack Fry's for quintessential Louisville (and some of best food in SE USA)
Also don't miss the "offshoots of the Highlands" like Baxter Ave, Barret Ave, and you must explore Cherokee Rd and specifically, Cherokee Park.
River City Drafthouse and Cumberland for craft brews

Clifton
Varanese
Basa
Four Sisters is a new spot generating some buzz

Crescent Hill
FABD Smokehouse
Porcini

St . Matthew's
Coal's Artisan Pizza
Havana Rumba
A fun night out on the strip, ie from Molly Malone's to Tin Roof, Drake's, and all in between, followed by 4 am pizza at Spinelli's.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Beware for a city with more urban, walkable, eclectic neighborhoods of any city its size in the USA. Look for nooks and crannies. Capture it on camera. And by all means post it here

Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 AM

414 posts, read 1,009,849 times
The above mentioned are great. I would also add these two spots for food:

Highlands
-Ramsis Cafe on the World
St. Matthews
-Cafe Lou Lou

It really is a great city with so much to do. You will not be disappointed.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
I think the two most common skyline opportunities people have are across the river along the Clarksville and Jeffersonville riverfront and from the top of the hill in Iroquois Park south of downtown. My favorite, however, and this is a limited time opportunity, is from a housing development being built in Floyds Knobs on the Indiana side. The empty land is going for up to $400,000 for something like a half acre and they're building european style estates on it. If you type in "Cote de Chambord, Floyds Knobs, IN 47119" into Bing maps, it will show you where it is. This is the view from up there: Louisville sunset pano 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you're over that way, the Bank Street Brewhouse in New Albany has some really good food and beer. There are several other places to eat and historic buildings that might interest you for the photography as well.

Back in Louisville, you might want to look at the Heigold House (IMG_2024 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!). Old Louisville is a great area to check out as well.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
agree with peter on all. (except for spinellis, the thought of that place makes me gag). For a little old school local flavor go to checks café in Germantown. the holy grale in the highlands has some of the best food and beer anywhere and the newly opened big four pedestrian bridge should present some great photo ops. welcome and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area